You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

how to avoid weak players

Remi88Remi88 Member Posts: 1
why is weak callers always getting rewarded, four times runner runner i have been knocked out by weak callers

Comments

• sighcallsighcall Member Posts: 494
    bet bigger
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited May 2020
    Play higher stakes gl

Seriously though why would you want to avoid weak players?
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,074
    edited May 2020
    Welcome to the forum @Remi88.

It would perhaps enable the better players on here to proffer advice and help if you could post such hands.

It's usually a failure on our part to play the hand right that allows other players to profitably exploit us.

Just because they may be behind does not mean they are "weaker" players. Sometimes getting it in behind / calling when behind is the correct play.

There are certainly some very consistent winning players on here who will give solid sound advice.

GL at the tables
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited May 2020
    Remi88 said:

why is weak callers always getting rewarded, four times runner runner i have been knocked out by weak callers

Poker has a long term variance element to it, long term variance could be for life.

Flick the switch on the thinking and best of luck to you! :smile:
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Avoiding weak players can be achieved and it depends on your goals.

Are you looking to play better players to improve your own game or are the bad beats too painful?

Maybe thinking on your main poker goal would be helpful.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,268
    @TheEdge949 you sir are a comic .
  • superggsupergg Member Posts: 1
    Are they weaker players if they are beating you?
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,296
    supergg said:

Are they weaker players if they are beating you?

profound...
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,430
    you wont avoid bad beats by playing better players, Weak players play badly and call you with weaker holdings without much thought and sometimes suck out with ridic lucky flops.

strong players though will sometimes play weaker hands because they believe rightly or wrongly that they have spotted a weakness in your game or a potential exploit often they play these weaker hands with the intention that they can have quite a few spots where they believe they can bluff you off a hand. They may also believe that if they hit a big flop they can manage to stack you.

I had a hand recently against a very strong player who has won over £100,000 on this site who called a big raise of mine out of position with A9 off suit he tried to bluff me off a board that really did not look like it hit my range that strongly obviously it did not work because I know he had A9 off suit eg i called him.

conversely today I had a very weak player call me off out of position with the exact same hand A9 off suit in almost the exact same situation and got all in on an ace high flop I had AQ. there was no 9 on the flop but looking at this the exact same situation could have potentially happened with both a strong shark and a weak player/fish.

if the flop comes A94 for example and I have AK or AQ we get all our ships in and they end up stacking me I could rant and rave, the fact is though that the fish/weak players will win some of the time but that is where the money comes from.
    if a strong player does something that looks odd and sucks out on you we need to ask ourselves some questions firstly why did they do this is there a potential play we are missing here that we could use? is there a weakness in our game that they have spotted and are exploiting if so how can we plug this weakness?

I play poker across a few sites to top up my income and I am profitable player I would say generally I always prefer to play weak players its where the money comes from. I do at times enjoy the complicated strategy and mind games one can get into with strong players, i just do not like losing money, depending on the strength of opposition I am potentially losing money if i only play strong opponents. I am aware I am a winning player but I am not the best player on the site.

If I was playing purely for fun or did not care about the money I would prefer to play the stronger players, eg I would gladly play alancarr or Alvaz for play money, but if its real money I would rather keep my money/make a profit.
  • chappo100chappo100 Member Posts: 116
    edited August 2020
    Phantom66 said:

Play higher stakes gl

Seriously though why would you want to avoid weak players?

Because they bluff you off empty side pots on the final table when you and they are 4/6 and 5/6 and 6/6 is sat out all in pre flop and the top 3 in chips are all agro and they cost you both EV.

not even bitter, am really, dont even have a chat box on ipoker cause it sucks compared to sky. rant over but yeah moral of the story avoid them!
  • RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    I can't believe someone is moaning about having to face weak players.

I've been playing cash on here and I love them. Sure I give them a bit of banter but without them I'd have a much harder time making anything.

Had a guy earlier, obviously at it, any 2'll do player. All I'll say is at least 2 other players where just biding their time to dig into his stack. Luckily enough I got him first, full stack. LOVELY!

Thing is I did him with 75 off. Not a hand I'd recommend but it did the job. Against that kind of player you have to get a little inventive and NOT play ABC poker.

If he hadn't been on that table there wouldn't have been much action. Embrace weak players and maniacs even if you occasionally have to hold your nose and close your eyes.
  • SPURS63751SPURS63751 Member Posts: 3
    To winge on about weak callers suggests to me that you regard your self a strong player. I don’t understand in this case, how you can rate yourself so high? Perhaps you should take a look at the way you play, if your so easy to be beaten by the lesser player. Don’t rate yourself so high as it’s clearly incorrect..
  • TurboooooTurbooooo Member Posts: 21
    fold pre
  • OutTheMudOutTheMud Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2021
  • OutTheMudOutTheMud Member Posts: 6
    I have been listening to an audible of, Jared Tendler: The Mental Game of Poker. I would recommend it to anyone. This is an article he did for a magazine (copy & pasted from JaredTendlerPoker.com)

Another common example occurs if getting outdrawn by a fish makes you go on tilt and play badly. The old response would state that tilt is the problem and tilt is the thing that’s causing you to play badly.

But if that were true, then every- one would have the same reaction when they get outdrawn, but they don’t. Many players can continue to play well after they incur bad beats, so the problem must be something else within you.

Rather than blaming tilt for your bad play, ask yourself what was it about getting sucked out on by a fish that caused you to go on tilt. It might be that you think that because the player is bad, you should always beat him, which suggests that you have discounted the very significant role of variance in poker. It might be because you believe that you are unluckier than everyone else and that this is the latest in a long line of bad beats, another variance issue. You might go on tilt because you have no respect at all for your opponent, which is an over- confidence issue.

When you can isolate the reason, then you can work towards resolving the issue so that it doesn’t happen in the future.
    The underlying reasons for your emotional reactions at the poker table are different for each individual; do not feel the need to pick out one suggested here. Instead, ask yourself “what are my emotions telling me about my game?”

It’s a simple yet powerful question that may not automatically solve the problem, but you’ll be a step closer. Only when you understand what causes your negative emotions can you develop a strategy to fix them, so you never react in a way that hurts your game.

Remember, emotions are a messenger, and by understanding the message it can make you a better player.

Wish you good luck! <3
  • AKAscottyAKAscotty Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2021
    OutTheMud said:

I have been listening to an audible of, Jared Tendler: The Mental Game of Poker. I would recommend it to anyone. This is an article he did for a magazine (copy & pasted from JaredTendlerPoker.com)

Another common example occurs if getting outdrawn by a fish makes you go on tilt and play badly. The old response would state that tilt is the problem and tilt is the thing that’s causing you to play badly.

But if that were true, then every- one would have the same reaction when they get outdrawn, but they don’t. Many players can continue to play well after they incur bad beats, so the problem must be something else within you.

Rather than blaming tilt for your bad play, ask yourself what was it about getting sucked out on by a fish that caused you to go on tilt. It might be that you think that because the player is bad, you should always beat him, which suggests that you have discounted the very significant role of variance in poker. It might be because you believe that you are unluckier than everyone else and that this is the latest in a long line of bad beats, another variance issue. You might go on tilt because you have no respect at all for your opponent, which is an over- confidence issue.

When you can isolate the reason, then you can work towards resolving the issue so that it doesn’t happen in the future.
    The underlying reasons for your emotional reactions at the poker table are different for each individual; do not feel the need to pick out one suggested here. Instead, ask yourself “what are my emotions telling me about my game?”

It’s a simple yet powerful question that may not automatically solve the problem, but you’ll be a step closer. Only when you understand what causes your negative emotions can you develop a strategy to fix them, so you never react in a way that hurts your game.

Remember, emotions are a messenger, and by understanding the message it can make you a better player.

Wish you good luck! <3 </p>

This is deep, but i like it,I can take from this that I am over confident ! .....no respect- calling station !
  • miggy91miggy91 Member Posts: 1
    weak mind strong mind its all luck of the cards. if you know how to play theirs your advantage nuff said

on another note ai cards are sketchy af
  • chappo100chappo100 Member Posts: 116
    when people randomly call way too wide on final tables against shoves and it makes loads of +£ev shoves into -£ev shoves. AVOID! threads turning into golden strat+1 for fold pre
  • mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2021
    Remi88 If you are getting all your chips in as a favourite with a better hand and then the situation changes then this is not something you can control as poker has to work this way. How you view this event can determine how well you will do in the game.
    If only good players won then fun/not as good players would not play if there was zero chance of winning. Its a luck skill game. The skill is to get it in with a better hand & what happens after that is the luck part of the game where you have zero control. Like flipping a coin it will come ten times in a row heads when you call for tails.
    Yes it will drive you crazy at times and make you feel angry and frustrated but it can be a very cool game that will probably want you needing more once your frustration lessens and a cool head is there once more.
    Good luck with it.
    Danny