You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sunday Quiz - 04/04/21

QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
A simple one this week - who are these famous Davids

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,594

Question 6 is arguably the worst footballer ever to wear an England shirt.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    edited April 2021
    1. Tennant
    2. Nope
    3. Lean ? (Actually, think it Lynch now)
    4. Coleman
    5. Hyde-Pierce (sp?)
    6. Nope
    7. The Hoff
    8. Broome ?
    9. Cassidy
    10. Dickinson
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    6. Just noiced @Tikay10 s comment, is it Batty?
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Tikay10 said:

What an absolutely ridiculous comment to post.
    He had a long and successful career as a defensive midfielder.
    Batty 42 England caps v Tony Kendall( not sure how many times he laced up a pair of boots, arm chair observer I suspect)

Players are chosen to do a job on the park, or were.

Just had a very brief look through what is essentially a newspaper rail, judging by threads.

The benefits of Brexit and the Easter thread make interesting reading.
    Quite clearly the crispr has successfully cut certain folks genomes,and filled in the gaps with all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
    Ta Ta.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Tikay10 said:

Jeff Astle v Brazil
    Case closed 😊
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    You don't need to be a professional to know that Batty was rubbish for England imho
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    1. Tennant
    2. Dunno
    3. Dunno
    4.Coleman
    5.( David) Jeffrey Archer 😊
    6. Batty
    7. Hasselhof
    8. Broome
    9. Cassidy
    10. Dickinson
  • Options
    stokefc said:

You don't need to be a professional to know that Batty was rubbish for England imho

Very commendable of you to pop up with support, just not necessary as stats back up his career.
    Picked in over 60+ squads, 42 caps as a ball winner and holding player.
    Sure, it’s an unglamorous role, and you’re not supposed to get in the limelight or be noticed as much as other positions on the park.
    As players aren’t allowed to tackle anymore, or near on, those guys from the past that came away with the ball are no longer required in the game.

So to sum up, you think the England managers made a grave mistake 62 times?

Hope you’re enjoying the sugar plum fairy football of nowadays.
    And youre likely paying for all the games you once had no interest in, in the past, involving teams you don’t support.
    Nice but dim.

• Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    chilling said:

stokefc said:

Very commendable of you to pop up with support, just not necessary as stats back up his career.
    Picked in over 60+ squads, 42 caps as a ball winner and holding player.
    Sure, it’s an unglamorous role, and you’re not supposed to get in the limelight or be noticed as much as other positions on the park.
    As players aren’t allowed to tackle anymore, or near on, those guys from the past that came away with the ball are no longer required in the game.

So to sum up, you think the England managers made a grave mistake 62 times?

Hope you’re enjoying the sugar plum fairy football of nowadays.
    And youre likely paying for all the games you once had no interest in, in the past, involving teams you don’t support.
    Nice but dim.

You wouldn’t be related to Nora would you?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    It's just an opinion
    Your post is so full of angst towards a bloke who just has an opinion ,ok so you don't agree with him ,why so angry
    You're just toxic ,you just want a reaction, ever lightly social media has turned into a cesspit
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Batty didn't he have a hit with Ratty, Artful and Hissing and Beaky was the Captain.

He was lucky to even get in that line up.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

Tikay10 said:

Jeff Astle v Brazil
    Case closed 😊
    Emile Heskey v Anybody
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,023
    edited April 2021
    I'm going to very quickly say my bit on Batty. Before I ask everyone to either create a new thread, or get back to the quiz.

Batty was a very good club player. He was not a very good international player. There are some people who perform better in club or international football.

He might not have been very good for England. But he got 42 caps because, over some 8 years, the options were worse than him. Because there are times when England have a lack of quality in some positions. And that wasn't his fault.

I'm a Spurs fan. Eric Dier is a decent club man, who tries his best, but at the top level he looks short. England were short of CMs for quite some time. Now they look short at CB. Which is why Dier, at 27, has 47 caps. And Jake Livermore has 7 caps. And that is just my team. I'd rather have the 1990s Batty than either.

Getting back to the quiz, I recognise Number 2. He might be the 2nd best comedic David. I say this because I first saw him in a TV show with the great Dave Gorman.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

It's just an opinion
    Your post is so full of angst towards a bloke who just has an opinion ,ok so you don't agree with him ,why so angry
    You're just toxic ,you just want a reaction, ever lightly social media has turned into a cesspit

Lol.
    Cesspit?
    Let me explain something clearly for you.
    Mine was also an opinion.

What makes someone even post a comment of “ arguably the worst player to wear an England shirt”? I thought the idea was to guess the names.

I would have thought the “ worst” if that’s how you want to describe someone, to wear an England shirt, would may have been selected and not played at all, or maybe once or twice?

Remember my Loch Ness monster comment?
    Remember a reply or two?
    See, if you pick and choose what takes your fancy, and club together like a virus, you deserve each other.
    It’s not a good look though, swampy imo.
    You’re so quick to cry foul. That’s sad.

• Options
    Happy Easter!
  • Options
    Here are the answers:

1) Tennant
    2) O'Doherty
    3) Lynch
    4) Coleman
    5) Hyde Pierce
    6) Batty
    7) Hasselhoff
    8) Broom
    9) Cassidy
    10) Dickinson

Only 2 entries as everyone concentrated on proving @Tikay10 right when he said Batty was arguably the worst footballer ever to play for England! We all love a heated discussion at Easter it seems...

@Glenelg and @tomgoodun both got 7* out of 10 although the former got an 8th correct answer when prompted by the Batty debate (see what I did there?)
    *my maths is atrocious
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,594

Another great quiz @QUICKFEET and my apologies that my well intended tongue-in-cheek comment caused something of a diversion. And thank you for mentioning that I did preface it with "arguably".

I was also perhaps a little unfair on Batty, who I watched play many many times, as I clearly recall he once played a forward pass. And just so there's no over-reaction this time, I'll add a smiley. ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Another great quiz @QUICKFEET and my apologies that my well intended tongue-in-cheek comment caused something of a diversion. And thank you for mentioning that I did preface it with "arguably".

I was also perhaps a little unfair on Batty, who I watched play many many times, as I clearly recall he once played a forward pass. And just so there's no over-reaction this time, I'll add a smiley. ;)

You are absolutely right @Tikay10 . Batty did indeed once play a pass forward, unfortunately it was straight to an opposition defender. :#
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,023
    Always amuses me that some players get abuse, and other similar players don't.

Take the late Ray "Butch" Wilkins. Undoubtedly a good footballer. His other nickname?
    "The Demon Barber" Why?

Because all his passes were short, back, and sides :)

Thanks for a good quiz.