You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Lord Pickles

EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
Many of you may have read the wise words from Baron/Lord Eric Pickles about Civil Service lobbyists etc.
Just wanted to add a few facts into the mix.

1. in 2001 the independent anti-sleaze campaigner, Martin Bell, chose to stand (unsuccessfully) against Eric Pickles due to accusations that the Conservative Branch in his seat was effectively being run by the Peniel Pentecostal Church
2. Was Mr Pickles one of the MPs found to have abused their position in the Expenses scandal? Yes
3. Who was appointed the official role of "Anti Corruption Champion" by David Cameron in 2015? Eric Pickles
4. Who remained in that post until 2017? Eric Pickles
5. If David Cameron had sought guidance about external jobs before leaving the House, who should he have seen? Eric Pickles
6. Who has, since 2017, been in charge of ACOBA, the body designed to guide top Civil Servants and former Government Ministers in relation to various jobs during/after their Civil/Government service? Lord Pickles

I have no knowledge of Lord Pickles being anything other than scrupulously honest in relation to Greensill, and would not dream of saying otherwise.

But-do you think he has a hopeless conflict of interest there? Because I see a man who is involved at various possible stages of wrongdoing. Who has had no hesitation in proclaiming that the wrongdoing was either at ACOBA before he joined, or the lack of powers given to ACOBA.

Now that may well prove to be the case. I just don't think he is the right person to be saying it publicly right now.

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,133
    My only surprise when things like this crop up is the publics shock and surprise.

All a donation to a political party or cause is, is getting your bribe in early. It's the same with lobby groups.

Ask yourself this, why would big business or rich individuals donate unless they have a vested interest in the outcome.

Politics in any Country is corrupt and every international company has a discretionary account / fund, every lobby group has ties with ministers and MPs and every political journalist a plain brown envelope for that juicy story.

Why are we surprised.

Even Richard Pryor called it right in "Brewster's Millions" when talking about running for Mayor of NYC he said

"Why would anybody spend $10,000,000 to get a job paying $50,000 a year unless he intends to steal it back with interest?".

Many a true word spoken in jest.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,627
    Jobs for the boys , i scratch your back you scratch mine , it's has gone on forever we have to put up and shut up...Unless
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,018