You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Arrested While Preaching?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
Christian pastor arrested for making 'homophobic statements' after preaching from the Bible says he was treated 'shamefully' - and was 'doing what my job description says'

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2021/04/28/3430289587279383183/636x382_MP4_3430289587279383183.mp4

John Sherwood, 71, was led away in handcuffs, questioned in a police station and held overnight after being accused of making homophobic comments outside Uxbridge Station in west London. The grandfather claimed he was left bruised after police pulled him from a mini-stepladder he was using and cuffed his hands behind his back. Police said they had received complaints the man had been making 'allegedly homophobic comments' and arrested him under the Public Order Act, which can be used under the vague proviso that someone is using 'abusive or insulting words' that cause 'harm' to someone else. He was later released without charge. Mr Sherwood, a pastor for 35 years, said: 'I wasn't making any homophobic comments, I was just defining marriage as a relationship between a man and a woman. I was only saying what the Bible says - I wasn't wanting to hurt anyone or cause offence. I was doing what my job description says, which is to preach the gospel in open air as well as in a church building.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9521123/Moment-police-arrest-elderly-preacher-71-street-quoting-homophobic-statements-Bible.html

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    Christianity is, in many respects, a lot like other religions.

The vast majority are decent people, often carrying out things to which we should all inspire. I have no intention of attacking any religion. Just that tiny minority of extremists within them.

The starting point is always the Bible. Now we can all have our own ideas about it. But anyone who claims that every single word must be 100% correct should be viewed with extreme caution.

Any reading of the Old and New Testaments clearly shows that God is considerably different between them. That does not mean God does not exist, or even that God evolves-just that the way he presents himself to humanity evolves in line with our understanding.

People like John Sherwood believe that 100% of the Bible is always true, and the "only" way to live. So (for example) they quote the passage in Genesis that appears to imply that marriage can only involve a man and a woman. Or that (to quote his fellow preacher) bible-believing Christians are offended by Pride marches. Really? So-for example:-

1. God really made the World in exactly 6 days. This is not an allegorical account, simplified for the time. And the fact that "day" could not have existed prior to creation is also irrelevant
    2. When Matthew's gospel refers to "Judge not, lest you be judged" that does not apply to Fundamentalists
    3. When Leviticus refers to God expressly forbidding eating pig, this is literal, not just sound advice at the time. Although, of course, Fundamentalists are free to eat pork, regardless

Religion gives pleasure to many. But, for a small minority, it is used as an excuse to persecute people. And I could not believe in any God that thinks that is right.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,281
    I sometimes struggle with the concept of the Bible being "God Breathed".

If we take every word literally the it can be argued that the Old Testament condones incestuous relationships, Adam and Eve and their children, Noah, his wife and their offspring, Lots daughters etc.

Oh its all in there. Makes 50 Shades look like a copy of Bunty

We can also argue that homosexuality is against God, that other relationships are an abomination and that to use words such as God in anything other than praise is punishable by death by stoning, whilst a divorcee remarrying creates eternal damnation for all parties.

Remember it was written in a world where only men counted at a time where only men mattered so yup it has a slight bias.

However, I often counter such archaic remarks by asking if a relationship outside of a man and a woman is a happy, loving, caring and honest one where both parties respect, love and honour each other is that not enough.

Yes we have to realise that values and society have changed since then and even if I believed that every word was truly God breathed, I have an obligation to respect and understand that preaching it as such, will cause offence to many people.

People like this guy don't do Christianity any favours by standing in the street and often ranting about God's judgement.

The marked difference between the two testaments is simply down to God deciding that he can't go on wiping out his children for their continued disobedience, Soddom and Gomoragh, the flood, the Egyptian and Babylonian captivities etc and so he sends part of himself made flesh ( The Son) to pay the price of that disobedience and leave another part of himself (The Holy Spirit) to help and guide us.

In this way he ensures that there is no longer seperation between God and his people.

Some of what God may have breathed in The Old Testament (fire and brimstone) has to be set aside in view of the teachings of The New Testament (grace, love, forgiveness) unfortunately many preachers who "suffer" from religion fail to accept, understand or preach accordingly.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655

If we take every word literally the it can be argued that the Old Testament condones incestuous relationships, Adam and Eve and their children, Noah, his wife and their offspring, Lots daughters etc.

We can also argue that homosexuality is against God, that other relationships are an abomination and that to use words such as God in anything other than praise is punishable by death by stoning, whilst a divorcee remarrying creates eternal damnation for all parties.

Remember it was written in a world where only men counted at a time where only men mattered so yup it has a slight bias.

However, I often counter such archaic remarks by asking if a relationship outside of a man and a woman is a happy, loving, caring and honest one where both parties respect, love and honour each other is that not enough.

Yes we have to realise that values and society have changed since then and even if I believed that every word was truly God breathed, I have an obligation to respect and understand that preaching it as such, will cause offence to many people.

People like this guy don't do Christianity any favours by standing in the street and often ranting about God's judgement.

The marked difference between the two testaments is simply down to God deciding that he can't go on wiping out his children for their continued disobedience, Soddom and Gomoragh, the flood, the Egyptian and Babylonian captivities etc and so he sends part of himself made flesh ( The Son) to pay the price of that disobedience and leave another part of himself (The Holy Spirit) to help and guide us.

In this way he ensures that there is no longer seperation between God and his people.

Some of what God may have breathed in The Old Testament (fire and brimstone) has to be set aside in view of the teachings of The New Testament (grace, love, forgiveness) unfortunately many preachers who "suffer" from religion fail to accept, understand or preach accordingly.

wow..deep
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,404

Great post Mark.

Is the preacher getting it wrong because he spoke about it in public and ended up arrested, making the papers ?

I know thats not what you are saying , its his choice of subject matter thats the issue.
    If he chose less offensive stuff he would be fine.

But isnt the preacher actually doing a massive favour for Christians?

He's getting himself arrested spreading the word ,persecution at its finest , just what Jesus needed to complete his mission , you couldnt make this stuff up ;)

• Options
    edited May 2021
    mumsie said:

Great post Mark.

Is the preacher getting it wrong because he spoke about it in public and ended up arrested, making the papers ?

I know thats not what you are saying , its his choice of subject matter thats the issue.
    If he chose less offensive stuff he would be fine.

But isnt the preacher actually doing a massive favour for Christians?

He's getting himself arrested spreading the word ,persecution at its finest , just what Jesus needed to complete his mission , you couldnt make this stuff up ;)

The problem is that whilst the message may in their own minds be justified and correct, it often creates barriers to dialogue and engagement and therefore causes mistrust and fear.

I make a point of attending the Pride event in Stoke not to be confrontational but to engage with the community many of whom are surprised to discover that being a Christian does not me Anti gay in the same way that it does not make me Anti divorce or Anti gambling, drinking, smoking, combat sports and the beat goes on......

Persecution is often at the result of the "injured party" having zero tolerance for an opposing view, let me use an example.

Israel Falou pretty much blew a brilliant rugby career due to a 140 word tweet in which he called upon sinners to repent and turn to God. His "crime was to use the word gay, only once mind but it was enough. If you look at the other words he used which included, thieves, liars, adulterers, idolaters, drunkards and gamblers it would seem he's got most of The Old Testament bases covered.

Not one person from any of the other groups came forward to object yet the press called it an "anti gay rant".

Now we are back in the minefield of political correctness gone mad. Was Israel being homophobic, or if he genuinely believes that God will punish gay people was he not showing compassion for them along with the others he perceived to be in danger of eternal damnation?

The fallout wasn't that of a Christian being persecuted for his beliefs but a case of society once more muzzling Gods word because it doesn't like what it says.

Oh and I personally think the "Church" were culpable through the spineless lack of support. They line up front and centre to make sweeping comments on subjects they have precious little experience of, yet when a big chance to explain Biblical aspects to an International audience presents itself, they are rarer than rocking horse poop.

I have my own thoughts on these issues many of which are standard, some would surprise you and a few could possibly be controversial and uncomfortable for many Christians.

I often challenge other Christians to get outside the comfort zone and be where its dangerous and edgey and gnarly but always be aware you have a duty to promote engagement and discussion not confrontation.

The problem though is this, as we slip ever deeper into Satanic degeneracy, we as Christians are going to be called upon to call out the dismantling of societies fabric and morals.

This will unfortunately create more scenarios where we are persecuted. Trust me soon we won't be able to have a pop at the Devil in case it offends Satanists and why, well he runs things down here at the moment and that's why it's all going **** up.

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,548
    Not just these

that get Hijacked.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Not just these

that get Hijacked.

Don't really think you can argue that I've hijacked the thread, I feel and I'm open to dialogue on this, that I have merely expanded the O.P. via explanation and reasoning.

You could argue that a preachy element was not needed and this would have some merit, but like really, am I ever going to pass up a chance to discuss the merits, benefits, drawbacks and faults of being a Christian?