You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

running bad

benhur7200benhur7200 Member Posts: 77
edited May 2021 in Poker Chat
I play mainly £3dyms, usually quite content with how i do and perform . However the past two months im finding myself getting frustrated with my run/form. No matter what i do when i decide to push all in at the higher blind levels i always run into a hand with another monster hand and these are usually 4 handed/bubble position. Part of me wants to just put this down to one of those bad runs if i look at the whole picture of my online poker history over ten years. I would like some advice or even critique please from those who play against me fairly regular

Comments

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,430
    few points firstly poker is a game of variance so you will see it from time to time for good or bad. It really depends on your play volume how many games you play etc but with decent volume you really should not be running bad over a period of two months.

I think your asking a lot for those that regularly play against you to give you advise on how to improve. Why would they do that, this would literally cost them money.

I have not had the best success at dons but never really put high effort into them. What I would say is that use ICMIZER if your wanting to make a decent profit. ICMIZER will tell you what hands you can push with and what hands you can call with then its just a process of memorising it. You likely will never remember everything but the more you learn the better you will be and the more confident you will become.

You can then take notes on opponents and learn who calls of too wide or who calls of tight. as a generic rule regs will call very tight in most spots and recs will often call much wider then they should.

at some point its all in or fold but not sure exactly at what point that is as I have not studied these enough to know properly. before the shove stage though you should have a min raise range that consists of some proportion of hands you can fold to a shove and some that can call of again the ratios and stack depths I dont know because not studied for that format but with googling and research and poker software you can learn these spots.

I am guessing at this stage small aces and small pocket pairs will be shoves and you might mix in big hands like AKs and big pocket pairs etc with suited connectors for a min raise range planning on folding suited connectors to a shove but calling of with big pairs and etc.

a lot of people understand poker wrong like if your deciding to whether to call a shove or fold its not correct or wrong based on what your opponent turns up but is correct or wrong based on what your opponent would do that with. so if your opponent shoves with a very wide range in non don structure it would be correct to say call of with A8 suited if they then have pocket AA but you know they also do this with lots of trash you have not made a mistake just because of this one time they had it. where as if they only shove with with say AA KK QQ and 72 suited and you call them of with 89 suited and they show up with 72 suited just because your call works that time doesnt change its still a mistake its about range vs range.
    ]
    obviously dons have their ICM implications so you will need to study the spots yourself and work out roughly peoples ranges. if your shoving what you should be and just run into someone snapping off behind you with AA KK etc your just getting unlucky thats all. if your shoving wide and they are calling of with K2 your doing it wrong because clearly your not paying attention to your opponents if this is the same guys and it happens often.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
  • benhur7200benhur7200 Member Posts: 77
    doubleme, thank you for the time to reply to my post
  • FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    edited May 2021
    It would be more useful to know the sample of games you've been running bad over rather than the timescale. When you play for fun it is easy for the bad runs to last a long long time as it can take a lot of games, sometimes in the thousands, for variance to be close to evening out.

DYM's have actually been much tougher than they should have been with the Sky Premier League promo in February and streak week last month, so it is likely your edge has been lower than usual in that time period leading to worse results. You are likely running a bit worse than usual on top of that.

In terms of trying to improve ICMIZER is a useful tool but it is something that is often more useful in theory than in practice, especially at the lower levels. For example there are spots you are supposed to shove any two cards and your opponent is supposed to only calls aces. But your opponent in reality decides pocket 4s looks good enough to go with and suddenly your profitable jam is burning money. It is probably overkill for £3 DYM's anyway. Probably the best practical advice would be to watch what the best regulars at your stakes (the ones with the best ITM % according to sharkscope) are showing up with in certain situations.
  • gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Don't you have to pay for ICMIZER? I wouldn't bother with it anyway even if it was free.

Maybe the games have been harder in the higher stakes that Groggers plays but £3 dyms are the same absolutely terrible standard as always.

I would guess I am your most regular opponent and for sure I have noticed changes in your play over the last few months. Seems you play real trappy now compared to before and I think you've fallen into the trap of trying too hard to be a difficult opponent.
  • benhur7200benhur7200 Member Posts: 77
    gregkdy82 thanks for the reply. you and a few others only are players that i have played hundreds of games against and to who i have respect for . I have tried playing a little different in the months of march and april and not sure if it suited me. going back to what i know best lol.
    thanks again greg , see you on the tables