You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fair Sentence?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,905
Cocaine-snorting driver, 31, who left nursery nurse brain damaged after running her over at 63mph in 30mph zone - while on her phone - escapes jail because it would damage her mental health
Clare Cassidy, 31, hit Yasmin Jenkins, 29, who was running in Stockport last year
Driver had been on phone and was found to have metabolite of cocaine in blood
Ms Jenkins was left in a coma for three weeks after suffering a fractured skull
Cassidy, of Didsbury, was handed a two-year sentence, suspended for 18 months

Clare Cassidy (pictured above), 31, was speeding in her BMW 118D when she hit 29-year-old Yasmin Jenkins, who was out running in Stockport, Greater Manchester, with her boyfriend Philip Mott to raise money for the NHS on April 18 last year

Ms Jenkins was thrown into the air by the force of the impact, which took place in Gatley, despite a desperate attempt by Mr Mott to save her (pictured: Ms Jenkins and Mr Mott)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9700267/Cocaine-snorting-driver-31-avoids-jail-running-nursery-nurse-63mph-30-zone.html

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,388
    I daren't, I'm going to get forum banned if I do.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,618
    The Taming of the Shrew
  • Options
    goldon said:

The Taming of the Shrew

Is that supposed to mean something?

If so what?

Because I havent a clue.

It seems like gibberish, or nonsense.

This is a tragic story of a woman who was left brain damaged, after being hit by a car at 63mph, in a 30 mph zone.
    The car was driven by a woman that had taken cocaine, was on the phone at the time, and got off virtually scot free.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,188
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

The Taming of the Shrew

If so what?

Because I havent a clue.

This is a tragic story of a woman who was left brain damaged, after being hit by a car at 63mph, in a 30 mph zone.
    The car was driven by a woman that had taken cocaine, was on the phone at the time, and got off virtually scot free.
    If you read some of the posts on other threads I'm sure you could work it out. Though I may be a million miles away with my assumption, knowing how Goldon's humour/mind works.
  • Options
    Our Justice System has been broken for years can you mend it, because I definitely can't.
  • Options
    Thank you Lucy but I did give Haysie the opportunity to exclude me from his Posts by putting ( intellectuals only no Idiots )
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

The Taming of the Shrew

If so what?

Because I havent a clue.

If you read some of the posts on other threads I'm sure you could work it out. Though I may be a million miles away with my assumption, knowing how Goldon's humour/mind works.
    Explain it to me then.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

The Taming of the Shrew

If so what?

Because I havent a clue.

Explain it to me then.
    Here's my take on 'The Taming Of The Shrew' post and in the words of Del Trotter "You can shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong" but here goes. Over numerous threads Goldon & Edge have been bickering/sniping at each others posts and generally disagreeing with each other. When Edge posted 'I daren't, I'm going to get forum banned if I do', Goldon replied to that with 'The Taming of the Shrew'. In my humble opinion Goldons thought process was that Edge might calm his opinions down,thus 'The Taming Of The Shrew' post. However, as stated earlier I may be a million miles away from what Goldon actually meant but if I had to put money on it,I'd say I'm pretty close to the reason for the post.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,388
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

The Taming of the Shrew

If so what?

Because I havent a clue.

Explain it to me then.
    Here's my take on 'The Taming Of The Shrew' post and in the words of Del Trotter "You can shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong" but here goes. Over numerous threads Goldon & Edge have been bickering/sniping at each others posts and generally disagreeing with each other. When Edge posted 'I daren't, I'm going to get forum banned if I do', Goldon replied to that with 'The Taming of the Shrew'. In my humble opinion Goldons thought process was that Edge might calm his opinions down,thus 'The Taming Of The Shrew' post. However, as stated earlier I may be a million miles away from what Goldon actually meant but if I had to put money on it,I'd say I'm pretty close to the reason for the post.
    I don't bicker or snipe, what a scurrilous accusation.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,278
    There are always 2 sides to these sorts of stories. And newspapers only ever want to tell 1 side of a story.

Let's briefly look at what caused these appalling injuries.

Was it because she was on the phone? No. Report clearly states that she saw her when 80 metres away.

Was it because she was "cocaine snorting"? No. She had not taken cocaine for 2 days prior to the accident, and the prosecution offered no evidence that the drug in any way contributed to the accident.

The reason for this accident was that she was driving dangerously, and stupidly, fast. She was insured, so (insofar as money can) the victim will be compensated.

And a Judge has made a decision, based on the evidence and detailed Social Enquiry Reports, that prison was nearly, but not quite, the best option. and given her various, significant, penalties.

PS-I like Goldon. But it is a brave call to say someone understands him :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

There are always 2 sides to these sorts of stories. And newspapers only ever want to tell 1 side of a story.

Was it because she was on the phone? No. Report clearly states that she saw her when 80 metres away.

Was it because she was "cocaine snorting"? No. She had not taken cocaine for 2 days prior to the accident, and the prosecution offered no evidence that the drug in any way contributed to the accident.

The reason for this accident was that she was driving dangerously, and stupidly, fast. She was insured, so (insofar as money can) the victim will be compensated.

And a Judge has made a decision, based on the evidence and detailed Social Enquiry Reports, that prison was nearly, but not quite, the best option. and given her various, significant, penalties.

I also like Goldon and his posts make me laugh, well the ones that I understand anyway.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

The Taming of the Shrew

If so what?

Because I havent a clue.

Explain it to me then.
    I must be thick, as I still cant see the relevance, but thanks for your efforts anyway.

I will just revert to avoiding them in future.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

On the face of it, the sentence seems particularly lenient.

Many criminals would avoid prison if the effect on their mental health became a valid consideration.

Ms Jenkins was left in a coma for three weeks after suffering multiple serious injuries including a fractured skull, bleed to the brain and fractured left ankle. She has been left struggling to walk and had to learn to write again.

In a statement, she told police: 'I am still struggling now and my throat hurts if I talk too much. I needed a drainage procedure by having a hole drilled into my skull and I had CT and MRI scans.

'It got to the point when I couldn't have any more due to too much exposure to radiation.

'I had DVT in my right leg vein. I had a left ankle fracture causing drop foot and severe nerve damage. It caused damage to my whole right side. I was unable to walk as before. I had blurred vision and loss of speech. There was damage from tubes down my throat, causing loss of voice.

'I was unable to eat or drink. I have cognitive problems. I will not fully recover from my injuries. Three parts of my brain have been damaged. I struggle to remember things.'

Ms Jenkins said she is not allowed to drive again, and has had to move in with her father and partner with her bed in the kitchen as she is unable to get upstairs.

The nursery nurse added that she cannot walk without a crutch, has to drink through a straw, was unable to speak for four weeks and is taking prescription medication for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) brought on by the incident.

She continued: 'It's very upsetting to have to deal with it all. It's upsetting not to do what I want to do. In the past, I would go shopping and to the gym two to three times a week. I missed out on promotion and had a loss of earnings.'

Ms Jenkins added: 'It's put a strain on the relationship with my partner. I do not remember my accident, but I ask what happened since. I currently can't stay home without somebody being there.

'I am unable to consume alcohol. I used to love prosecco on a Saturday night. But now when my friends make plans, I don't want to go.

'Looking back, I am upset and distressed that this has happened to me. I have lost so much that I set out to do. I am unsure I will be able to go back to what I was doing and pursue what I was doing.

'Since the accident, I have been unable to return to work. I have heard it might take five years to recover. I can't get back this time of my life.'

Police compiled a report which showed Cassidy was travelling across junctions without slowing down while engaged in phone conversations at the wheel and not using hands-free Bluetooth equipment.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

I also like Goldon and his posts make me laugh, well the ones that I understand anyway.
    You are not alone in your lack of understanding of them.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Know your stopping distances | AA
    www.theaa.com › advice › stopping-distances
    11/08/2017 · 60mph. 18m + 55m. 73m (240 feet) 70mph. 21m + 75m. 96m (315 feet) The stopping distance at ...

Speed
    Thinking + braking distance
    Stopping distance
    40mph
    12m + 24m
    36m (118 feet)
    50mph
    15m + 38m
    53m (174 feet)
    60mph
    18m + 55m
    73m (240 feet)