You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Roy Keane.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,518
'If you are Sterling or Grealish, you cannot have a young kid go ahead of you': How football reacted to England's Euros penalty heartache

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/heartbreaking-boy-football-reacted-englands-220314867.html

Comments

• RinkhalsRinkhals Member Posts: 212
    He's right.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,074
    Yup especially disgruntled with Raheem. Like so many "flair" players that England have produced he seems to go missing at penalty time. Loves the plaudits but lacks true steel.

FWIW should have been Kane, Maguire, Shaw, Sterling, Phillips. Then if needed Pickford, Grealish etc. Saka should have been a last resort. Even as he was playing he looked totally overwhelmed by the whole scenario.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

By all accounts Southgate had already pre-decided the players to take them and in what order. Hence the last second subs.
    You can argue about having a 19 year old taking the 5th penalty but if the Italian keeper dives the other way then this is a moot conversation, such is the futility of a shootout.

Also very predictable by Mr Edge to dig out Sterling for no reason whatsoever.
    He's good at many things, but penalties he isn't.
    Ridiculous to criticise any players for not stepping up, and Lampard said something in the post match analysis that it also takes courage to hold your hands up and say when you don't fancy taking one of the 5 spot kicks.

Hard to take the opinion of someone who would have a goalkeeper take a penalty ahead of an attacker seriously though.
    edited July 2021

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

By all accounts Southgate had already pre-decided the players to take them and in what order. Hence the last second subs.
    You can argue about having a 19 year old taking the 5th penalty but if the Italian keeper dives the other way then this is a moot conversation, such is the futility of a shootout.

Ridiculous to criticise any players for not stepping up, and Lampard said something in the post match analysis that it also takes courage to hold your hands up and say when you don't fancy taking one of the 5 spot kicks.

Hard to take the opinion of someone who would have a goalkeeper take a penalty ahead of an attacker seriously though.
    I was a penalty taking goalkeeper and a successful one. Many keepers are as they are more used than most to striking a dead ball, usually with much power. My opinion of Sterling is that he doesn't fancy the big pressure moments and for a senior pro that is disgraceful. It's called abdicating responsibility and in my opinion which unfortunately for you trolls I'm allowed, he should be ashamed.

Oh and Southgate is hardly going to say certain players didn't fancy it is he.

So crawl back under your bridge and wait for a billy goat.

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

I was a penalty taking goalkeeper and a successful one. Many keepers are as they are more used than most to striking a dead ball, usually with much power. My opinion of Sterling is that he doesn't fancy the big pressure moments and for a senior pro that is disgraceful. It's called abdicating responsibility and in my opinion which unfortunately for you trolls I'm allowed, he should be ashamed.

Can't think why you're singling out Sterling, complete mystery.

''Disgraceful'', ''ashamed''......give over.
    Doesn't fancy the big pressure moments? Quite a bizarre opinion based on absolutely nothing at all.
    If someone isn't very good at penalties, and he isn't, then it would be absurd to push him into taking one.
    For all his talent and skill, he's self aware enough to know when to step back.
    For all we know, he could've been taking the 6th one had it gone to sudden death, who knows eh.

He's had a pretty decent career so far for someone who doesn't fancy those big pressure moments, despite his career being littered with big pressure moments and games.

Of course you were a penalty taking goalkeeper.
    Of course.

• tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    It pains me to say, the best team on the night won.

As far as “ Ifs buts and maybe’s” , I reckon 2 of the Italians deserved red cards, and I’m sure if it wasn’t the final at least one was nailed on, the ‘ coming together ‘ with Grealish by Jorginho was reckless( and dangerous), and holding back Sako would be a straight red in the premier league last season.

Having said that, the quality of the refereeing throughout the tournament had been superb.

Penalties? Meh, coin flip, I really feel for those who missed, I was surprised to see a 19yr old taking the 5th one, but the responsibility of the loss isn’t down to him.
    Pickford was magnificent in the shoot out, unlucky.

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Doesn't fancy the big pressure moments? Quite a bizarre opinion based on absolutely nothing at all.
    If someone isn't very good at penalties, and he isn't, then it would be absurd to push him into taking one.
    For all we know, he could've been taking the 6th one had it gone to sudden death, who knows eh.

He's had a pretty decent career so far for someone who doesn't fancy those big pressure moments, despite his career being littered with big pressure moments and games.

Of course.

I bet you've got little piccies of him all over your bedroom.

Probably alongside your Justin Beiber Collection.

Sad really, very sad,

I suggest you chill on a vespa and ride it on a troll road.

Byeee

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,471

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Of course.

Sad really, very sad,

Byeee

Why would you class someone having a different opinion to you as being a troll?
    It’s also a bit hypocritical to write that and then to attack him with childish comments

Roy Keane was wrong

Penalties are simply a lottery and you make your choices on who you feel has the best chance of scoring. But anyone can miss on occasion
    Kane took a dreadful penalty against Denmark. He’d still be my first choice for when England next get a penalty.
    Jorghino is possibly the best penalty taker in the world and he missed. I doubt Chelsea will drop him from talking their penalties

Maguire took a fantastic penalty. He’d have been a long way down my list before the shoot out

Sterling has been tremendous through the tournament but i would never fancy him with a penalty

Age and experience doesn’t really matter. It’s all about who feels confident at that moment
    I don’t remember people criticising managers when Rooney was taking penalties at 18 years old
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Of course.

Sad really, very sad,

Byeee

bit snowflakey

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Of course.

Sad really, very sad,

Byeee

How old are you? 60? 65? Summat like that?

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    Taking a penalty is a skill, professional football players should all be able to take penalties, I can understand the pressure on the young boy, he should probably not have been put in so early, but this is when the more experience players should have put their case forward.
    rabdeniro said:

Taking a penalty is a skill, professional football players should all be able to take penalties, I can understand the pressure on the young boy, he should probably not have been put in so early, but this is when the more experience players should have put their case forward.

It is indeed a skill, just like every aspect of football is.....tackling, passing, heading etc etc

All professional footballers can obviously 'take' a penalty, but some are going to be better than others. Just like some are better at heading than others.
    Skillsets vary from player to player.

There are various videos doing the rounds showing other more experienced players putting themselves forward; Southgate had seemingly already decided on takers and their orders.

The 5th penalty is always a weird one....do you put your best taker on it? But what if you've already lost and he doesn't even get a go? Do you put your best takers up first to try and nail the first few but which could then expose you by the 5th strike?

Sterling is poor at penalties, he's missed more than he's scored (9 taken with 5 missed).
    His game has improved massively in the last 3 years or so but anyone who watches him play knows he's at his best and most deadly when he's presented with instinctive chances; if he has too much time to think about a chance or decision the end result can be a mixed bag.....hence him being cr@p at penalties.

Buried this one though (just!), not bad for a player who doesn't fancy big pressure moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74rxCUpYdh0

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Of course.

Sad really, very sad,

Byeee

My chronological age is 57, physical age about 75, mental age always under 25.

Age is a state of mind, whats your point. Are you saying that mature people can't be infantile if they want to or that rank stupidity and a "whatever" attitude are the preserve of the young.

Very ageist way of thinking.

Right I'm off to have a nap, us old uns need our rest.

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Of course.

Sad really, very sad,

Byeee

Age is a state of mind, whats your point. Are you saying that mature people can't be infantile if they want to or that rank stupidity and a "whatever" attitude are the preserve of the young.

Sweet dreams snowflake.

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Of course.

Sad really, very sad,

Byeee

Sweet dreams snowflake.
    That one caused much mirth and merriment .

FFS if you can't tell that I am very anti snowflake anti woke then I worry for you.

You have in separate posts accused me of right wing bias, sexist views and now being a snowflake c'mon dude make your mind up which is it.

It would appear that your inane efforts to wind me up have in fact addled your brain.

Welcome to your "Heads Gone" moment.

Rinkhals said:

He's right.

He's not though, is he?

Of course.

Sad really, very sad,

Byeee

Sweet dreams snowflake.
    That one caused much mirth and merriment .

FFS if you can't tell that I am very anti snowflake anti woke then I worry for you.

You have in separate posts accused me of right wing bias, sexist views and now being a snowflake c'mon dude make your mind up which is it.

It would appear that your inane efforts to wind me up have in fact addled your brain.

Welcome to your "Heads Gone" moment.

You're anti-snowflake?

You're the epitome of a snowflake, with your outburst in the Enid Blyton thread being a particular snowflake highlight.

I also wouldn't claim being ''anti-woke'' as something to be proud of.
    Bit of a caveman attitude, but I'd expect nothing less.
    yap yap yap, you're like a little dog desperate to find a leg to hump.

I would have thought my opinions regarding the Enid Blyton issue would have flagged a more right wing, Rule Britannia type of mindset. Perhaps you misunderstood me, or the point I was making or the issue in general. I mean that would hardly be a first.

I sometimes wonder what inspires your attempts to wind me up. Seriously I have given it careful consideration, not enough to occupy all my waking time obviously, but I have had to pause.

I think you just keep looking for buttons to press in the hope that I am going to have a melt down and completely lose it.

There are people on here who could well do that, unfortunately you are not one of them.

Quick, I think I hear something trip, trapping over your bridge.

• chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Scoring from a penalty will always be a 50-50 chance.
    Penalty taking is a skill? Don’t think so.
    Look at all the players that have scored from pens that are regarded as less skillfull.
    The focus is always on the guys that take more penalties.
    You will find a lot of those pens would have had no great importance at the time of taking.
    Most folks know, but just to recap,keepers favour certain heights a shot comes at them.
    From experience it’s best to put put pace on the ball,as even if the keeper chooses the correct side, it’s more than likely the keeper can only get finger tips on the shot.
    Trying to be cute and placing the ball with no pace, looks good when it comes off,but the keeper only has to guess the correct side,then it’s a fairly easy save.
    There aren’t that many great saves from pens,just poor execution of pens.
    Just because a keeper goes the wrong way, doesn’t mean the player taking the pen sent him the wrong way. Probably happens on the odd occasion, but more of an illusion that makes up stats,especially for the media.

My view on those penalties in the final.

Rashford took the longest amount of time over his, not the greatest decision, as he had not touched the ball? Then he starts the showboating, which means he’s not focused on the most important thing,the strike, the execution. Saka also threw in the most unusual stomping of the ground before he took his. Not sure what that was all about,but I’ve never seen it before.
    Just concentrate on the strike/contact with the ball is the wtg.
    Messing about will always leave the door open to criticism, like mine.

I would agree with Keane. hhyf putting up Sterling’s pen, shows Sterling had something to draw on. Never mind the percentages. It could have been worse,it could’ve been a Jenas.🤣

Wouldn’t be right not to include some shots.

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,518
    chilling said:

Scoring from a penalty will always be a 50-50 chance.
    Penalty taking is a skill? Don’t think so.
    Look at all the players that have scored from pens that are regarded as less skillfull.
    The focus is always on the guys that take more penalties.
    You will find a lot of those pens would have had no great importance at the time of taking.
    Most folks know, but just to recap,keepers favour certain heights a shot comes at them.
    From experience it’s best to put put pace on the ball,as even if the keeper chooses the correct side, it’s more than likely the keeper can only get finger tips on the shot.
    Trying to be cute and placing the ball with no pace, looks good when it comes off,but the keeper only has to guess the correct side,then it’s a fairly easy save.
    There aren’t that many great saves from pens,just poor execution of pens.
    Just because a keeper goes the wrong way, doesn’t mean the player taking the pen sent him the wrong way. Probably happens on the odd occasion, but more of an illusion that makes up stats,especially for the media.

My view on those penalties in the final.

Rashford took the longest amount of time over his, not the greatest decision, as he had not touched the ball? Then he starts the showboating, which means he’s not focused on the most important thing,the strike, the execution. Saka also threw in the most unusual stomping of the ground before he took his. Not sure what that was all about,but I’ve never seen it before.
    Just concentrate on the strike/contact with the ball is the wtg.
    Messing about will always leave the door open to criticism, like mine.

I would agree with Keane. hhyf putting up Sterling’s pen, shows Sterling had something to draw on. Never mind the percentages. It could have been worse,it could’ve been a Jenas.🤣

Wouldn’t be right not to include some shots.

I only read the first sentence.
    The best penalty takers do far better than 50/50.
    Matt Le Tissier missed one out fifty four during his whole career.
    How could that not be a skill?
    I dont intend reading the rest.