You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Petition to ban free bets

gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
https://inews-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/inews.co.uk/news/my-husband-took-his-life-after-a-free-bet-bonus-sparked-a-gambling-spiral-during-lockdown-1144417/amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM=#amp_tf=From %1$s&aoh=16291807385070&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&ampshare=https://inews.co.uk/news/my-husband-took-his-life-after-a-free-bet-bonus-sparked-a-gambling-spiral-during-lockdown-1144417/amp#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16291807385070&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Read that article while on my morning break at work today. It has really boiled my pish. What an imbecile of a woman. She says he kept his addiction at bay for years but he still has all the apps on his phone and is receiving free bets? Aye that sounds likely.

"With free bets, you can open several accounts. Before you know it you have opened 34 accounts just to get the next one. They're deceptive. You think you are not even wasting any money but they are designed to hook you into spending"

Does anyone actually believe this bs? Apparently so as she has found 11000 morons to sign her pathetic petition.

Sooner or later its going to happen where all betting promos are banned because of people like this. The people who enjoy a wee recreational bet now and again and those who make money from betting will lose out while the addicts will still be addicts and still punt off all their money regardless.

Can't get a cheap alcoholic drink anymore because of the alkies, got to pay sugar taxes on my soft drinks because of the fattys and now I'm facing the prospect of not getting a free bet anymore because of the moron punters. Wish they would just **** off with these sort of laws.

Comments

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    I don't think free bets and whatnot should be banned, but why would something like this ''boil your pish''?

She's far from an imbecile and although I don't agree with her stance, I can sympathise with the situation she's dealing with and why she's pointing a finger at the gambling industry.

I'd be surprised if anything ultimately came of it.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    This guy obviously had a very addictive personality, and that's obviously the problem.

Not **** free bets.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,702
    yeah saw this article to there is talk about banning vip schemes but I am not sure exactly what that means eg is the current reward Sky has a vip scheme or partypokers cashback a vip scheme or Unibets quarterly thing a VIP scheme or is a VIP scheme something specifically tailor made as some people have told me to target specifically high volume or high staking punters?

I think ultimately people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If someone starts to suddenly have multiple large deposits over a short period of time then yes maybe that should be affordability checked.

I have been following the the UKGC etc and gambling news fairly regularly at one point there was talk of a £100 wagering limit, anyone who wanted to wager more then £100 in a month would need to pass strict affordability checks. Of course at the time this would not count results or performance eg the fact that someone may play 20 £5 heads up tournaments and would be very unlikely to lose all 20 even if they were a bad player would come into it. If they staked over £100 over a month in one bet or multiple bets they would of had to show they could afford to spend £100+ a month. Basically any stake is assumed straight spend.

This fortunately looks like it wont be coming in now. I dont really know how we could have a gambling industry with such rules, its prohibition through the back door.

There is currently a big review going on regarding the gambling industry and new laws/regulations are been discussed all the time. what exactly will come in I do not know.

the fact is though you cant stop it going underground if I am going to have a poker night with some buddies are the police going to come in kicking the door down? would that not be a huge infringement on liberty?

what then If I am a gangster running underground games which I class as my home games? on 2+2 people were discussing some mobile games where a guy was taking money from people then settling bets on a mobile site that was play money. Basically people would play play money on a privet group and settle the bets outside and there were accusations of wrong doing. I wont dive to much into that my generic point is that if you get to redic with gambling laws you will just push it underground and you will have a hard time shutting down underground gambling.

gambling addicts would be much more vulnerable in that scene.

Did you know the roman soldiers used to take it in turns carrying thick stone boards on their backs which were used for gambling. since the beginning of civilization people have indulged in Gambling Prostitution, drugs and Alcohol. for whatever reasons these activities are so entwined in our DNA that if you outlaw it or try to stop it, it will just pop up underground.

better to have sensible rules and have these things fully regulated.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

"is the current reward Sky has a vip scheme"

SB&G no longer has a VIP scheme.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162

This guy obviously had a very addictive personality, and that's obviously the problem.

Not **** free bets.

who do you think free bets are aimed at as a marketing tool? those that can control themselves and spend nothing extra with said company.......
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,730
    “ Can’t get a cheap alcoholic drink because of the ‘alkies’”
    What would one consider cheap?
    Do you think ‘alkies’ are priced out of the market? I can assure you that you are very much mistaken.
    Maybe the person with the problem is the one complaining how expensive alcohol is.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    HENDRIK62 said:

Not **** free bets.

who do you think free bets are aimed at as a marketing tool? those that can control themselves and spend nothing extra with said company.......
    Don't get me wrong, if they removed free bets I'm sure it would remove some of the triggers for some people and probably help a little bit. It's still no solution.

In this case this guy had kids and a loving family yet still managed to take out loans and gamble long after the free bets had gone. You have to send wage slips etc in to get them loans and he would of had plenty of time to think about himself and his family while he was sorting all this out.

These kids now have no father and that probably doesn't have much to do with free bets, let's face it. You'd be closer to the mark blaming capitalism or social media for everyone wanting excess in their lives every day rather than being happy with what they already have.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,702
    HENDRIK62 said:

Not **** free bets.

well obviously I dont think betting companies want to just give money away obviously the hope is the person gets tempted into more bets and they make the betting company makes the money back and then some.

However I dont think that means they hope to milk the guy for everything and then see him kill himself. Ultimately that is not good for business either.