You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brilliant Stuff

pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
Absolutely magnificent.
We have our sports personality of the year.
Emma Raducanu , take a bow.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,806

Yup, SPOTY is a formality now.
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    To not lose a set the whole tournament, incredible!!

What a performance <3
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,267

To not lose a set the whole tournament, incredible!!

What a performance <3 </p>

I'm not sure but that may be the 'easiest' Grand Slam win ever. No sets lost and I'd be surprised if anyone has lost fewer games. Epic stuff and a lovely and eloquent young lady. She came through qualies! No one has ever done that and won a Grand Slam.
  • FORDAKIDZFORDAKIDZ Member Posts: 169
    Like WOW, have you ever seen any better tennis than that ! ?
    FORDAKIDZ said:

Like WOW, have you ever seen any better tennis than that ! ?

I have to agree, one of the best quality ladies finals I've ever seen.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,967
    Both of the players deserve credit for how they've played throughout the tournament and are great role models for young girls.
    lucy4 said:

Both of the players deserve credit for how they've played throughout the tournament and are great role models for young girls.

Yes indeed. Hopefully she will be at the top of the game for many years and encourage loads of young girls to play tennis rather than have ambitions of being a WAG or be on Love Island!
  • hazelwoo05hazelwoo05 Member Posts: 53
    Amazing, Incredible player, technically possibly the most fundamentally sound i've ever seen. Well done to all that have worked with her on her journey and massive congratulations to her. Unfortunately only won medium on her as backed her mid tournament and in final not pre. What a future! Great final for the sport and amazing futures ahead of both players.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    Was an amazing match. Strange that she won without beating a player ranked in the Top 10. Had luck, but what a talent.

On the commentary, heard a saying I had never heard before. Mind you, not up on my Schopenhauer.

"Talent hits a target no-one else can hit. Genius hits a target no-one else can see."
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Essexphil said:

Was an amazing match. Strange that she won without beating a player ranked in the Top 10. Had luck, but what a talent.

On the commentary, heard a saying I had never heard before. Mind you, not up on my Schopenhauer.

"Talent hits a target no-one else can hit. Genius hits a target no-one else can see."

Hi Phil,
    Thought that was a great line. Martina Navratilova was suitably impressed also.
    I just hope that age, money and outside “ noise” do not alter this remarkable young lady.
    Her obvious love of the game, fearlessness combined with a level headed approach and a world class smile will hopefully stay with her.
    Her opponent has also to be congratulated and admired. If that match is a barometer of women’s tennis, I will be watching a lot more of it in the future.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    pompeynic said:

Essexphil said:

Hi Phil,
    I just hope that age, money and outside “ noise” do not alter this remarkable young lady.
    Her obvious love of the game, fearlessness combined with a level headed approach and a world class smile will hopefully stay with her.
    Her opponent has also to be congratulated and admired. If that match is a barometer of women’s tennis, I will be watching a lot more of it in the future.
    Hi Nick. Totally agree. UK has an unfortunate habit of building up and knocking down our sporting heroes.

Best line Navratilova has heard since she heard Chris Evert say she was going to win Wimbledon because Navratilova was going to play in the "Mixed Singles". To her eternal credit, she laughed like a drain.
    pompeynic said:

Essexphil said:

Hi Phil,

What a contrast, eh?

You may not of realised it yet but one of the factors that made that match so enjoyable, as well as the importance, the achievement and the standard of play was that there was no grunting or shrieking every time the ball was hit. None.
    Enut said:

You may not of realised it yet but one of the factors that made that match so enjoyable, as well as the importance, the achievement and the standard of play was that there was no grunting or shrieking every time the ball was hit. None.

@Enut

I certainly noticed it, and yes, it made the match so much more watchable.

Boom times might be coming for UK tennis.
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Enut said:

@Enut
    Agreed, the lack of shrieking etc was indeed noticeable .
    It was not that the ladies lacked power either. I was hugely impressed, admittedly I really don’t watch that much tennis, but I thought the standard was very good .

• FORDAKIDZFORDAKIDZ Member Posts: 169
    Apparently Emma is a proper petrol head, raced carts for two years ! Would love to see a charity match up, Emma V Sir Lewis, one round of each :D
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    Enut said:

I dunno i like all that grunting
    yes i,m back you ball sacks :p