You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Game selection - How important a factor is it?

markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
I've been giving some thought to game selection during the last week or so (only took me 15 years to get to it). I think this may be a factor I have massively neglected over the years.

When reading the Sheriff thread this week I noticed comments about it being full of regs and notice that there are some strong players who play most of the schedule on Sky that give the Sheriff a wide berth. Personally I am quite liking it due to the timing, structure etc but that is neither here nor there. It got me to thinking more about game selection.

Obviously giving deeper thought to the games we are playing and coming up with a regular schedule can have many benefits.

For example...
* Getting a better feel for the pacing of tourneys.
* Developing a deeper understanding of your opponents.
* Scheduling games that fit around your other commitments.
* Playing games that are more likely to be profitable.
* Controlling the number of games you play at once.

Is game selection something that you give significant thought to?

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Hmm not sure if Sky has the size of player pool where you can get too fussy about game selection to be honest.

Tournaments. Micro stakes

I tend to only play £2 deepstacks, the £5 freezeouts and stuff like the Orfy and the forum triple takedown. These are very reggy but also beatable as you come to understand your opponents and how they play.

I also occasionally play the mini mains but look on these as a punt rather than a realistic chance of winning / cashing.

Tournaments. Mid - High Stakes

I only play these if I'm lucky enough to win an entry. I am aware that there are many players at these levels who are significantly more skillful so again game selection doesn't matter

Cash Games.

Game selection has to be crucial here especially if you're playing for profit. I don't play cash on Sky, but every training site, blog and coach seems to advocate that correct game selection is essential.

The only real selection I use when playing cash on Stars or 888 is running the tracker to see how long players have been active at a table. The number of times it shows 30 hours plus without a break is amazing. And they say there are no bots lol.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    edited September 2021
    markycash said:

I've been giving some thought to game selection during the last week or so (only took me 15 years to get to it). I think this may be a factor I have massively neglected over the years.

When reading the Sheriff thread this week I noticed comments about it being full of regs and notice that there are some strong players who play most of the schedule on Sky that give the Sheriff a wide berth. Personally I am quite liking it due to the timing, structure etc but that is neither here nor there. It got me to thinking more about game selection.

Obviously giving deeper thought to the games we are playing and coming up with a regular schedule can have many benefits.

For example...
    * Getting a better feel for the pacing of tourneys.
    * Developing a deeper understanding of your opponents.
    * Scheduling games that fit around your other commitments.
    * Playing games that are more likely to be profitable.
    * Controlling the number of games you play at once.

Is game selection something that you give significant thought to?

It is vital. It is as important as poker ability. Some things that work for me are:-

1. I am probably at my best between 12:00 and 22:00. I rarely play anything other than turbos from 21:00 onwards.
    2. I don't usually keep detailed records by Tournament. But I know that the Sheriff is not profitable for me. The first prize is also insufficiently attractive compared to time of finish.
    3. There are some very profitable games out there. They tend to be the ones that are only run on 1 of many skins-for example on Grosvenor, or WillHill etc on i-poker. There used to be a £5.50 on Coral (when on i-poker) that had a 60%-plus overlay. Every week. For over 10 years. And terrible players. I made over £10k from that 1 MTT.
    4. Everyone needs to work out their optimal number of tables. For me it is:-never more than 8, usually 6, when running deep in a big Tournament/after 22:00 knock down to 4, and sometimes even 1 if big MTT/after 12.

Everyone is different. But vital to find where and when you have an edge bigger than the rake...
  • Options
    jimb0d1jimb0d1 Member Posts: 660
    Nowhere near as important as bankroll management and getting off the table when not playing your best imo.
  • Options
    DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    I suspect it was my comment that made you comment on the Sheriff. I am not sure whether anyone should read too much into it. I have seen good players comment that they avoid the Sunday main and the £100 bounty hunters as they are too tough. I suspect their really isn't much difference in the player pools, especially with rebuys. I ran golden in the Sunday main for a long time, but seem to have run badly this year. I just think it a lot of varaiance, so I'd be very wary of looking at how you have done in a tournament you have played only 50 or so times, and concluding that one is the hardest.

If you are showing up at any tournament thinking you can't beat it, then you probably shouldn't play it as your mental game is going to be off. ie you are more likely to play badly whether or not the tournament is really tougher. I'd certainly duck a tournament for this reason or give it a miss for a few months or so.

What I would say is that a year or so ago I looked at my play a year or so ago and realised something like 75% of my play wason Stars. That was really daft as it was my worst site for overall results and average result. I think there are a lot of tournaments I couldn't beat on there, so reduced my play considerably, and didn't play a few of the bigger ones for months. And now if I play the bigger ones I play smarter, eg not starting them up and bunging in 3 rebuys in durimg the first hour.

I'd say right now that I have a much more sensible schedule than I had at the beginning of 2020 and game select much better.

FWIW I have played the Sheriff a couple of times in the last week and it probably isn't as reg infested as I thought, or maybe that is down to the extra places?