You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Dr John Cooper Clarke

thefallthefall Member Posts: 1,963
edited December 2021 in The Rail
Great autobiography from the wordsmith

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    thefall said:

Great autobiography from the wordsmith

Something of a hero of mine growing up.

Songs (for want of a better word) like "Gaberdine Angus" and "Tw at" are truly tremendous-very much the Punk Poet, but with very skilful use of words.

Met him in my (then) local pub many years ago. Until then, I had no idea that he lived a few miles away, or that his best mate lived round the corner from me. You don't hear his voice and think "Essex man" :)
  • thefallthefall Member Posts: 1,963
    I saw him only once and he was on as support but will definitely look him up again next April when he plays Leicester again ( assuming he beats the winter )! I did have the Orange triangle ep but gave it away.

No he definitely doesn't come across as Essex man lol. I love the drawl and rapid delivery truly unique Patrick Fitzgerald another good poet from that era but the Dr rules!
    thefall said:

I saw him only once and he was on as support but will definitely look him up again next April when he plays Leicester again ( assuming he beats the winter )! I did have the Orange triangle ep but gave it away.

No he definitely doesn't come across as Essex man lol. I love the drawl and rapid delivery truly unique Patrick Fitzgerald another good poet from that era but the Dr rules!

He often collaborates with former members of The Fall.

He is 72 now. That makes me feel old...
    There are some great tales about Mr Smith in his book as you can imagine, my fav is the story of mark falling on ice outside a venue and fracturing his femur. He was helped to his feet by a woman and then fell again breaking his hip! Mark of course only reached 62 but what a great cameo it was. Miss them dearly.
    thefall said:

That was his real name-he usually recorded as Patrik Fitzgerald. Saw this, and dug out "Safety Pin Stuck in my Heart". At one time, he did some stuff with the wonderfully named "Attila the Stockbroker"
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Not the thread I expected in Sit n Go strategy, but I'm all-in pre.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6va1k5
    Happy Daze! I still have the Safety Pin Single!

I do remember Atilla but didn't see him. I will have to google and see whats around.

Cheers Phantom ill watch that later!
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    The first time I heard "I married a monster from outerspace" I thought this is weird but cool, Still looks weird.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,077
    J C C played Reading one year back when it was ostensibly a metal festival, sorry but can't remember the year. He came out in his punk garb and was met with a barrage of beer cans, p**s bottles and a plethora of assorted detritus.

Most people would have turned heel and headed for the safety of backstage, he stood there defiantly and rattled through his entire set in about 10 minutes at breakneck speed, all the while running the gauntlet of abuse and the fusillade of missiles.

Legend.
    Bravest set ever at Reading has to be Slade, 1980.

A band that everyone had written off, pigeon-holing them as Glam Rock has-beens. Completely forgetting that they were much more than that-the first Skinhead band to chart in the UK, and had covered some great early Rock songs.

Only there cos someone had to fill in for Blizzard of Oz at the last minute. Came on to a hail of boos and beer cans. Started with their heavier songs, and won the crowd over. Got them all to dance along to Get Down and Get With It, then to sing along to Merry Xmas Everybody. In August.

And then, only then, crank it up to 11 and cover "Born to be Wild". Epic. Seen Slade live, but I so wish I had been there.
    Daftest and scariest concert I saw was Sham 69. Travelled down from the provinces to see their supposedly farewell gig. Although I think they did Glasgow barrow lands after but alcohol may have dimmed my memory.

Anyway drank a few beers in Finsbury Park with my mate before moseying down to the Rainbow. Never seen such a hostile atmosphere pre gig. Skinheads everywhere outside smashing pints me and my mate were probably the only non skins there. Inside fighting all around the concert hall pre gig.

Then Jimmy Pursey piles on stage and I think it lasted four songs before he was dragged off stage and beaten up. British Movement skinheads versus ordinary skinheads. An expensive day out and never ventured down that neck of woods for another gig lol. Glad to get out in one piece!
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,077
    Sadly Sham always attracted the violence and it was that which eventually led to them calling it a day.

However they were not the only ones, The Stone Roses, Lightening Seeds and Shed Seven in particular attracted trouble due to their popularity amongst football hooligans.

Don't get me wrong they were great gigs but it was always likely to come on top without warning.
  • gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    If i give this shitey music a listen is there going to be some sng strategy hidden within the lyrics?
  • gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528

Sadly Sham always attracted the violence and it was that which eventually led to them calling it a day.

However they were not the only ones, The Stone Roses, Lightening Seeds and Shed Seven in particular attracted trouble due to their popularity amongst football hooligans.

Don't get me wrong they were great gigs but it was always likely to come on top without warning.

Lightning Seeds hooligans 😂 😂 😂 that has genuinely made my day.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,268
    Phantom66 said:

Phantom66 said:

That was a great watch, thanks for posting.
    mumsie said:

Phantom66 said:

Phantom66 said:

That was a great watch, thanks for posting.
    Marvellous.

I had not heard "Things are gonna get worse" before. It is at about 35:00. Genius.
    I had heard"things are gonna get worse" before.
    Hadn't however seen that documentary what a tribute.
    Thanks for posting it Phil.
    thefall said:

I had heard"things are gonna get worse" before.
    Hadn't however seen that documentary what a tribute.
    Thanks for posting it Phil.

It was @Phantom66

Whose posts are usually insightful
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,969
    edited November 2021
    This week in 1979, JOHN COOPER-CLARKE released the single SPLAT / T WAT.

Produced by Martin Hannett, Splat/T wat was a ‘twin-grooved’ record that gave you a different version depending on which groove was picked up when the needle dropped down.

One version played bleeps and special sound effects to avoid certain swear words while the other version played normally.

Side 2 was the album version of Sleepwalk.

The cover had black and white drawings on both sides which were signed… “JCC Sept. 79.”

Apparently there was also a DJ’s version of this single released with only the Splat track on the A side. Missing was the twin grooved pressing and the original ****. The B side with Sleepwalk was identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-aVtKEhpO0