You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The only person to be legitimately angry with.....

TrebleAAATrebleAAA Member Posts: 12
is yourself in online poker.

In being a winning player for over 20 years this fact has been a hard earned lesson that I was reminded of twice in the last 24 hours.

1) Following an unprovoked attack on chat from a fairly decent player who angrily accused me of donk betting him and causing him to lose the last 6 games we had played (somewhat unlikely, but if true, he should be celebrating that he was the better player/made the best play & lost).

2) But more importantly my own face slapping/water cooler moment came last night in the main event free roll.......I played perfect poker and got it all in with the best of it, and almost all hands held up (so still lucky, as you have to be in free rolls) and found myself in clear chip lead going to final table player and top 3 qualifying for the main event. There were 3 players at the table that I considered to be 'any two cards' all in donks, and 2 players i didnt know. So i came up with sensible plan to play conservatively, play premium hands only and ladder my way to the top 3 as I knew at least 3 players would only last 10-20 hands as they will be getting it all in practically every hand........but then ill discipline/sub optimum decisions struck....

(i) Change of my sensible plan to an a less optimum plan...I decided to preflop raise the 2nd placed player in BB from SB to steal his chips with a poor starting hand......in my head he was in second place, surely he would fold to my steal as he would be playing conservatively too....I cont bet as well, and that mistake cost me 6 BB/ 3rd of my chips.

(ii) Suddenly i was equal 3rd.....but i was still self confident that i was probably the best player at the table........so sensible aggressive small stack play would win the day............. only for ill discipline to hit again and I found myself snap calling with AJ an all in bet from a donk....whilst I was highly likely to be ahead against his range (and was slightly ahead as he had k9 which was one of his better hands he got in all in with!!) i still had 11 BBs and in context had no pressure to call and risk nearly all of my chips at this stage....but I did call, and lost, when he hit his flush on the river.

Cue slam down of laptop, not talking to kids, and luckily for the cat she was out of the room.....the only thing I did right in this crazy 5 minutes was being angry at myself for throwing away a winning position....not with the donk that i called.

Shows that despite the 20 years of experience, we all have these angry moments, we just have to keep them to a minimum and only blames ourselves, not others or the site for that matter.......plus it does feel better now that I shared :-)

Comments