You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

F.A. Cup and VAR.

lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,274
Since the establishment of the F.A. Cup it has always been accepted that all teams had an equal and fair chance of winning the cup,whether your team started out in the very first rounds of the non league qualifiers or one of the 'Big Names' in the third round.Fast forward to VAR times and it seems that the same rules don't apply to all games in the same competition. In my opinion all rules/regulations/VAR etc should apply to each and every game or none at all. So how can only 9 games out of 32 have the 'advantage' of VAR, whilst other games have to 'accept' the Refs/Linesman decision? Whether you agree with VAR or not surely you can't pick and choose which games should be covered by it. It's either VAR all the way or not at all, the following is what I found on a football site which sums it up.

This year’s FA Cup third round consists of 32 ties, but only nine of those will come under the gaze of the all-seeing eye. The reason for this is related to licenses. The FA Cup has used VAR since 2018, when it was introduced as a trial run for its wider implementation, but using it requires a license from the International Football Association Board (IFAB), who set the laws of the global game. The FA never applied for a full license for the FA Cup, and this means that it can’t be used for all matches. Last season, it was used only at matches where Premier League clubs were at home up to the quarter-finals, where all matches were then licensed.

The FA explains that the reason for this is largely cost-related. VAR requires the installation of four additional cameras as well as other fees, and the governing body seems to have made a decision that the costs of extending it to all matches is not worthwhile. But this does throw up some curious contradictions. There are Championship clubs that have the technology installed as a result of having spent time in the Premier League since it was introduced, but they will not be permitted to use the technology for licensing reasons. For example, Swansea City play Everton at The Liberty Stadium in a match being shown live on BBC Wales. Swansea have VAR technology installed but cannot use it for licensing reasons. The same goes for West Brom, who are at home against Brighton.

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,076
    Up the Harriers
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,690
    I'm pretty sure Swansea came down with us so won't have VAR installed
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,352
    On the bright side, @lucy4 you can concentrate on Europe-oh. The League, then.

Saw a comment on line that might cheer you up:-

"Dress like Spurs, play like Spurs" :)
  • Options
    stokefc said:

I'm pretty sure Swansea came down with us so won't have VAR installed

I'm not sure who has or who has not got VAR but my point was how can games being played at the same time in the same competition have different rulings. If Dover in the 4th league of the Kent division get knocked out by an offside goal which the Ref didn't spot, how can a league club prosper by VAR when the whole competition is based on equality.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I'd rather dress like 90's Real Madrid, though we played like 80's Canvey Island.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,352
    lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

I'd rather dress like 90's Real Madrid, though we played like 80's Canvey Island.
    Looked more like The Invisibles than The Invincibles.

How can you not have a shot on target all match v a lower league side?
    Even when we Spuds were losing, we were at least dominating the game...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

Looked more like The Invisibles than The Invincibles.

How can you not have a shot on target all match v a lower league side?
    Even when we Spuds were losing, we were at least dominating the game...
    I must agree that you were dominating and that's why I had a little dabble on your lot to win. Though my brother who is a Spud put £270 on it, so happy days all round.

Go on the Spuds... :) .
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    I agree 100% with the OP.
    Ridiculous decision to allow it only for some games.
    All of nothing.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,443
    lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

Who managed to knock Port Vale out a few years ago. That's the same Port Vale that dumped Spurs out 2 - 1 back in the late 80's