You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who's had covid

stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
And what was your experience like

I haven't had it but i've just had first hand experience
The wife and daughter have just recovered from it
Daughter had one bad day with what can be described as a very bad cold
Lisa the wife was really bad , three days in bed really ill i was very concerned but she's fine now
Everybody lived on soup while the missus was bad
I tested negative every morning before work despite sleeping in the same bed as the wife , i found it weird that i didn't catch it

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    stokefc said:

And what was your experience like

I haven't had it but i've just had first hand experience
    The wife and daughter have just recovered from it
    Daughter had one bad day with what can be described as a very bad cold
    Lisa the wife was really bad , three days in bed really ill i was very concerned but she's fine now
    Everybody lived on soup while the missus was bad
    I tested negative every morning before work despite sleeping in the same bed as the wife , i found it weird that i didn't catch it

I had Alpha a year ago. Rather unpleasant.

Every variant tends to have different effects. On the assumption your family had Omicron, you did really well not to catch it, as it is the most infectious to date. However, the really good news is that Omicron is typically milder than other types, and is less likely to suddenly reappear after a day or two.

Lived on soup? Should be ashamed of yourself. Takeaways deliver :)
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    I've had it, I think, twice.

First time was the back end of March 2020, before testing was as widespread as we know it now, so I'll never know for sure either way, though it did transpire I was in quite close proximity with a positive case just 3 days before.
    It was like no illness I've ever experienced before, and along with being floored and bedbound for about 3 days, simple things like going to the bog zapped me of energy.
    In the recovery I also lost my sense of taste and smell, which at the time wasn't one of the main symptoms but would become to be one soon after.
    I'd say it was a 10 day swing from falling ill to being fine again, with days 1-4 particularly bad.

I also had it again, I think, in early September 2021.
    I say 'I think' as the PCR test I sent off never came back with a result, so again I'll never know for sure. I did chase with 119 but it will remain a mystery.
    Almost identical experience to March 2020, only tangible difference this time was no loss of smell/taste.
    All the other stuff was present and correct; variable and extreme temperature changes, total lack of energy, continuous headache including a pain behind my left eye, modest cough.
    I walked 2 minutes round the corner to post off my test and upon getting home it was like I'd ran a marathon.

If I do get a taste of Omicron (and it seems inevitable most people will) all the indications are it will be a much more milder experience than above.

Hopefully that's our route out of this pandemic.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    As far as I know, I have been lucky enough to avoid Covid. Not hard in one sense, live on my own, very careful when it comes to mask wearing, hand sanitising etc. I have been lucky over Christmas as my brother had it and I had spent a day and a half in close proximity to him, including a four hour car ride. He tested positive two days later, I , after having to take my first test ever, was negative.
    Another brother caught it over last Christmas, he said it was very mild, nothing more than a cold, however, two weeks later he lost his sense of taste and smell, it took nearly four months for that to return. He also suffered from long Covid, in that for six to eight months after he would come home from work, fall asleep in a chair, wake up to eat some tea , before going to bed and sleeping until it was time to get up for work.
    In his words , he was permanently cream crackered.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    I was in bed the week before Christmas in 2020 with COVID and it was terrible, I couldn't even turn over without it hurting like ****, eventually my wife took me into hospital on the 26th and I was immediately kept in for a week.
    I spent the first night in the ICU prone and on oxygen until they were able to get my oxygen count up, when I eventually did get home I count walk more than a few yards without stopping for breath, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    My daughter, son and wife all just felt a wee bit under the weather, weird how it affects everyone differently.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    HENDRIK62 said:

I was in bed the week before Christmas in 2020 with COVID and it was terrible, I couldn't even turn over without it hurting like ****, eventually my wife took me into hospital on the 26th and I was immediately kept in for a week.
    I spent the first night in the ICU prone and on oxygen until they were able to get my oxygen count up, when I eventually did get home I count walk more than a few yards without stopping for breath, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    My daughter, son and wife all just felt a wee bit under the weather, weird how it affects everyone differently.

I heard a rumour on the grapevine that you were faking it for a bit of festive peace and quiet?
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162

HENDRIK62 said:

I heard a rumour on the grapevine that you were faking it for a bit of festive peace and quiet?
    ****.....busted :wink:
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    edited January 2022
    I had COVID end of October 2020 .....The wife caught it first, but she just felt a bit rough, but a couple of days later (Tues.27th) I started with it, and was really bad, struggling to breathe, especially at night, and couldn't even climb the stairs, so I had to sleep downstairs. The wife said it was horrendous listening to me coughing and trying to breathe at night, so on the Friday I rang the doctors, and my daughter (who was positive too) drove me down to see the Paramedic ......in the Car Park of the Surgery.
    When she tested my Blood-Oxygen Levels, she said I had to go to Hospital immediately, and they rang for an Ambulance. At the time I thought the Paramedic had said my levels were at 25% .....but it must have been 25% below what it should have been ......otherwise I think I would have been in a box! Apparently my daughter nearly crashed the car going home to pick some stuff up for me for hospital, because she was so worried (and it's only 400 yards away)
    I was in hospital on Oxygen Friday-Monday. Had my own room with a TV and big bathroom. I felt OK, just a bit tired, One time I went to the loo, and took off my Oxygen mask .......5 mins later I could hardly breathe, and got a right bollocking off the Senior Nurse who was looking after me!
    I wasn't improving and had to go into ICU on the Tuesday. Because I was so tired, I couldn't call the wife and let her know what was happening, and they were trying to ring the hospital 'coz they hadn't heard from me, and they actually thought I'd died :#

I was in ICU for 5 days, gradually getting better thanks to fantastic care from the team, and I'm sure it helped there were only 3 of us in there. The physio came to the ICU, to help, and see how far I could walk ......two laps of the ICU ward (about 50 yards) was enough, and as my levels were getting better, I could go back on the COVID ward..... and after 3 days of observation, tests, and physio there, I was allowed home on the Monday.

I was out of breath climbing the 14 steps up to our decking and front door, and even now I'm still struggling walking uphill, and climbing too many steps....... but I'm just grateful to have come through it...... and this is why my family and I will have as many jabs and boosters as is necessary (even if we have enough antibodies anyway) because I might not make it the next time I get it!

As Jimi @HENDRIK62 said, who knows why some people are more susceptible to getting COVID, and others are not. I do have underlying Lung issues (Asthma, and I've had Pneumonia -12 years ago, and Pneumothorax when I was 16-ish), and I'm sure my 'slight' weight issue doesn't help, but I never get Flu (touchwood) :*

Stay safe everyone ......and sorry if I've bored you with my story :(

.....and please don't hijack this thread, the Dr's who haven't had it :s

EDIT: my sense of smell, and taste, still haven't returned fully either :/
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    I caught it in February 2021. Bed bound be 3 days with headaches, chills, general aches and breathing problems. Sofa bound for another week, still breathing problems and total lack of energy. Like many, I could barely walk a few hundred yards very slowly.
    Gradually constantly improved over the next 10 weeks. Then tried a phased return to work.
    Failed. Another 5 or 6 weeks off before trying again. Successfully this time.

Awful illness but could have been so much worse.

The work colleague I believe I caught it from is still off work 11 months later.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,023
    edited January 2022
    We all had Delta variant, caught it off my daughter and it spread through the house in days. My eldest daughter who is 19 and healthy hadn't been vaccinated at the time and she was bed bound for a week, it knocked her for six. My youngest daughter (14) was fine. The missus and I were double jabbed so were mostly OK. I felt really rough for 2 days and I haven't felt the same since tbh, still constantly knackered 6 months later.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,404
    edited January 2022
    I had it in December according to a lateral flow test - then verified it through a drive through test.

I though I might be a goner as I had pneumonia in the summer.

However, the worst effect was slight runny nose, nothing else.
    I was double jabbed and boosted.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,288
    I'm not sure whether we've had it or not to be honest, in early 2020 both myself and my other half felt really weird for about 24 hours, but it wasn't like a normal cold, this was before testing so we'll never know for sure.
    I have however lost two clients to COVID. They were older ladies with some underlying health issues, but certainly not due to die before they got it.
    Getting a telephone call from an ex forces Korean war veteran who was in tears as his wife had just died was horrible. I made a comment that hopefully things would get better with time (the usual sort of thing you say when there really is nothing you can say that will help), anyway for him they didn't, his only daughter died of it 10 days after his wife.
    Those two cases really brought it home to me. I'm double jabbed and boosted so hopefully if/when I get it it should be only mild.
    I know quite a few, previously fit and healthy younger people, who have also been hospitalised with it or have long COVID. I think this aspect is a major concern to the Government, young or middle aged previously fit and healthy people taken out of the working population with long term health issues would have a huge impact on the economy and health service.
    I would certainly suggest people do as much as they can to protect themselves from getting seriously ill, get vaccinated, wear masks where appropriate but also keep fit, eat healthily and take vitamin C and D supplements.
    By the way I'm no expert (although I have a biology degree), my views are based on my personal experiences and the opinions of friends and clients who work in the health service and know a lot more than most.