You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Are YOU missing out on half-price internet?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,513
Ofcom says just 1.2% of those eligible for social broadband tariffs have signed up

Millions of households could save up to £144 a year on broadband by taking advantage of 'social tariffs', but have yet to claim their discount.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/are-you-missing-out-on-half-price-internet-ofcom-says-just-1-2-of-those-eligible-for-social-broadband-tariffs-have-signed-up/ar-AATYkR4?ocid=msedgntp

Comments

• MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    I heard about these Social Tariffs the other day, and checked them out just to see (after I'd just changed from SKY to TalkTalk) and I had a better deal anyway...... £23 per month for 18 months for SuperFast Fibre Broadband up to 67bps with a £90 Amazon voucher (which will get spent knowing my girls!), so equivalent to £18 per month. :)

Here's the Tariffs if you qualify.....

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/social-tariffs
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,513
    MISTY4ME said:

I heard about these Social Tariffs the other day, and checked them out just to see (after I'd just changed from SKY to TalkTalk) and I had a better deal anyway...... £23 per month for 18 months for SuperFast Fibre Broadband up to 67bps with a £90 Amazon voucher (which will get spent knowing my girls!), so equivalent to £18 per month. :)

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/social-tariffs

I dont qualify.
    Still working for Seasons.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,775
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

I dont qualify.

@HAYSIE

Crikey, I hope I'm still working at your age.
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

I dont qualify.

@HAYSIE

I am not really.
    My old boss thought so highly of me that he still pays me.
    I am in my seventh year of retirement.
    So not actually working, but still on the payroll.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,775
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

I dont qualify.

@HAYSIE

I am not really.

@HAYSIE

He probably thought it's less hassle for him when you are not working.
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

I dont qualify.

@HAYSIE

I am not really.

@HAYSIE

He probably thought it's less hassle for him when you are not working.
    Probably.
    Their horse BELLATRIXSA (in Ms Kinsella's colours) won again at HEREFORD yesterday ........ second time in 8 days

She's a decent horse, and will be very good next Season in mares races over fences :)
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,430
    If my internet goes when I have multiple tables going it will cost me more then the money I save on half price internet. I pay for premium BT internet service it may cost more but its much more stable.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,073
    Oh no i
    t isn't I use B
    T Inte
    rnet
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,430

rnet

funny but I have had it happen before I was with BT and it cost me a few hundred when it did.
    MISTY4ME said:

Their horse BELLATRIXSA (in Ms Kinsella's colours) won again at HEREFORD yesterday ........ second time in 8 days

She's a decent horse, and will be very good next Season in mares races over fences :)

Glad shes having a bit of luck.
    Doubleme said:

If my internet goes when I have multiple tables going it will cost me more then the money I save on half price internet. I pay for premium BT internet service it may cost more but its much more stable.

I used to be concerned about that until my Son-in-Law explained to me how to use a personal hotspot on my phone.
    Now I dont care if my internet goes down.
    The BT premium is a complete waste of money.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,422
    I'm reluctant to post on here in case my internet goes down.
    Doubleme said:

How much you paying?
    Doubleme said:

Millions of households could save up to £144 a year on broadband by taking advantage of 'social tariffs', but have yet to claim their discount.

Just 1.2 per cent of those eligible have applied for the discounted broadband scheme meaning they are paying more for internet connection than they need too.

Only 55,000 households have applied for the specially discounted broadband, available to 4.2million households currently on Universal Credit, Ofcom says.

It is calling on all broadband firms to support struggling households by introducing their own social tariffs, as the cost of living continues to rise.

The discounted packages are priced at under £20 a month meaning that households on Universal Credit could be saving an additional £144 a year.

Despite the savings, Ofcom's research shows that 84 per cent of benefits recipients are unaware of social tariffs and take-up is extremely low.

'If you are a Universal Credit recipient and are looking to reduce your monthly outgoings, speak to your broadband provider today and find out if they offer a social tariff you are eligible for.'

What 'social tariffs' are available to me?
    There are a handful of broadband providers offering 'social tariffs' to those on a low income or Universal Credit.

BT Home Essentials offers a £15 a month deal for speeds of 36Mbps, or a speedier version of 67Mbps for £20 a month.

Hyperoptic are giving customers some of the fastest speeds of 50Mbps on its Fair Fibre 50 deal for £15 per month or you can upgrade to 150Mbps for £25 a month.

TalkTalk is the only provider currently offering free broadband for customers in need and eligible consumers will receive speeds of up to 40Mbps.

Community Fibre is also available for £10 a month but will only come with speeds of 10 Mbps, and is only available for customers in London.

Income Support, Pension Credit, Income-related Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), Housing Benefit, Personal Independence Payment, Attendance Allowance, Universal Credit, Care Leavers support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/are-you-missing-out-on-half-price-internet-ofcom-says-just-1-2-of-those-eligible-for-social-broadband-tariffs-have-signed-up/ar-AATYkR4?ocid=msedgntp
    TalkTalk is the only provider currently offering free broadband for customers in need and eligible consumers will receive speeds of up to 40Mbps.

I had to check this out (obviously ;) ) and what TalkTalk actually do is......

"we offer Non-Chargeable Broadband as a donation to places of care-giving"

Very honourable ..... WELL DONE TalkTalk :)
    MISTY4ME said:

I had to check this out (obviously ;) ) and what TalkTalk actually do is......

"we offer Non-Chargeable Broadband as a donation to places of care-giving"

Very honourable ..... WELL DONE TalkTalk :)

TalkTalk Broadband for Jobseekers Free Up to 40Mbps Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to offer six months of contract-free broadband to jobseekers across the UK.