You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

What a lucky girl!

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432
So my girlfriend sometimes gets a little wound up with the constant Winni sillies. It started of as a joke with a sexual inuendo which I dont think I can mention on the forums about Winni the pooh. Then we won a Winni in an arcade and then more came in from other places and are given their own wacky personalities.

I kind of think if other lifes were a thing I would be Jeff Dunham.

anyway some people were wondering what the for the Winnis was in chat. Well it so happens I saw a toy bundle that had over 50 Winnis in it on ebay and had to bid. My girlfriend said if I get those I am paying for them from poker winnings and it so happened I ran well recently so welcome the Winnis.

of course one thing that happens with my sillies is they normally follow world events. So the Winnis coming in will be Ukrainian refugee Winnis. naturally this will cause tensions in the teddy and toy community (my girlfriends teddys and toys all given wacky personalities by me) with the Winnis proposing to welcome the refugees and a racist zenophobic community among teddys (the TTT the teedy and toy version of the KKK) chanting they shall not replace us, my girlfriend remains adament I will not make Pinky bear part of the TTT but I have decided her Pinky bear will be part of the TTT.

Anyway this is why I wanted Ukraine vs Russia in the world cup obviously the Winnis would be passionately rooting for Ukraine but there is a spy amongst them (as luck would have it there is a Russian Winni in the bundle!!)

I mean seriously what even are the odds of that?

Comments

• waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,012
    That is possibly the most deranged thing I have ever read on a poker forum. Pretty **** offensive too.

Seek help, you really aren't all there.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,432
    I like to play and be silly humor is fine. The issue often is other people do not quite grasp my sense of humour.
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,012
    Poking fun at current events in Ukraine with a side helping of casual racism all in the form of Teddy Bears. Yeah great humour.
    Yeah its not racism its joking about racism and creating a controversial political world in what should be innocent toys. I believe joking about anything is okay. I come from a Jewish family and was amongst the first people to defend Count Dankula over the Nazi pug joke. It was in bad taste and it wasn't really funny, but a joke is a joke and people should be able to joke about things.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    I could only comprehend the first paragraph and I think that was about coprophilia. Disgusting.

• NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    Doubleme said:

Yeah its not racism its joking about racism and creating a controversial political world in what should be innocent toys. I believe joking about anything is okay. I come from a Jewish family and was amongst the first people to defend Count Dankula over the Nazi pug joke. It was in bad taste and it wasn't really funny, but a joke is a joke and people should be able to joke about things.

I tend to agree that just about anything can be used as fodder for comedy, and many comedians have made careers out of making jokes about sensitive subjects. But by and large they do so sensitively, without glorifying it. There is some semblance of social commentary that goes with it. I'm sure you are familiar with the concept of "punching up." If not, perhaps google it.

What makes this offensive (in my opinion, at least) is the lack of any of this. You've created this fictional world--an absolutely bonkers one, but that is your right--and inserted a group of racist teddy bears into it for absolutely no reason. There is no indication that this group is somehow marginalized in that world, no apparent opposition to them, and no social commentary or general sense of "this is not ok." In fact, you seem to be actively rooting for scenarios that will foster racial tension with, again, no indication that this is not a desired outcome.

You're not joking here, you're fantasizing. And you're fantasizing about a group of racist teddy bears infiltrating the otherwise peaceful world of Hundred Acre Wood. This on its own is not a "joke." It is quite strange and, yes, pretty offensive in my opinion.

There's nothing inherently wrong with making a colossal misstep or error of judgment like this but you should try and look at this objectively and understand why people aren't responding well to it.
    NOSTRI said:

Doubleme said:

I tend to agree that just about anything can be used as fodder for comedy, and many comedians have made careers out of making jokes about sensitive subjects. But by and large they do so sensitively, without glorifying it. There is some semblance of social commentary that goes with it. I'm sure you are familiar with the concept of "punching up." If not, perhaps google it.

What makes this offensive (in my opinion, at least) is the lack of any of this. You've created this fictional world--an absolutely bonkers one, but that is your right--and inserted a group of racist teddy bears into it for absolutely no reason. There is no indication that this group is somehow marginalized in that world, no apparent opposition to them, and no social commentary or general sense of "this is not ok." In fact, you seem to be actively rooting for scenarios that will foster racial tension with, again, no indication that this is not a desired outcome.

You're not joking here, you're fantasizing. And you're fantasizing about a group of racist teddy bears infiltrating the otherwise peaceful world of Hundred Acre Wood. This on its own is not a "joke." It is quite strange and, yes, pretty offensive in my opinion.

There's nothing inherently wrong with making a colossal misstep or error of judgment like this but you should try and look at this objectively and understand why people aren't responding well to it.
    I like making fictional worlds and been silly. I also like to be silly. In no way do I wish the suffering that is actually happening on the Ukrainian people to happen to them.

Most events that happen in the world are replayed in some way in my sillyness. Me having racist characters in my fantasy worlds is not me wanting actual racists to exist or endorsing racism. In most stories their are good guys there are evil guys. I in no way mean to glorify Russia. Despite what Putin what Putin says about denazifying the Ukraine Russia actually has its own problems with Nazism and I do not think I would be safe if Russia invaded and took our lands. The winni world will always reflect our world but with its own wacky character I assume most of our population would be anti immigration of the Ukrainian Refugees. I would welcome Ukrainian refugees if I had the ability which I do not I would even entertain putting up a Ukrainian family until they found their footing.

If by fantasizing you mean making a story that has bad guys as well as good guys yes sure that is exactly what I do and sometimes I like to make the bad guys really evil.

If you mean actually wanting to see suffering in the real world no not at all.
  • NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    Doubleme said:

NOSTRI said:

Doubleme said:

I like making fictional worlds and been silly. I also like to be silly. In no way do I wish the suffering that is actually happening on the Ukrainian people to happen to them.

Most events that happen in the world are replayed in some way in my sillyness. Me having racist characters in my fantasy worlds is not me wanting actual racists to exist or endorsing racism. In most stories their are good guys there are evil guys.

If by fantasizing you mean making a story that has bad guys as well as good guys yes sure that is exactly what I do and sometimes I like to make the bad guys really evil.

To be clear, I am not accusing you of endorsing racism. But think about what you're saying here.

In your own words, you've arbitrarily inserted abhorrent racists into this fantasy world in an attempt to create a good guys vs bad guys dichotomy taht reflects the real world. There is nothing inherently wrong with that if it serves some narrative purpose, but it does not. They're just there because hey why not, I guess? The bad guys you're intent on introducing could take absolutely any form; you're limited only by your imagination. And yet you've plumped for militant racists.

Winnie the Pooh is a good example here, because A.A. Milne introduces conflict between characters in his stories too, but he does so in a way that makes sense in the Winnie the Pooh universe, using forest animals rather than militant racists, invoking issues and conflicts that actually make sense in that world, without introducing characters that many of his readers literally live in fear of. And he has a reason for doing this: to entertain and educate his readers.

An analogue of the KKK existing in a world of teddy bears is completely discordant with this scenario and there is no conflict-resolution arc or educational purpose to speak of. They're just there, being racist.

Why? What is the purpose of reproducing overt hate crimes in this fictional world? That's not a "silly," it's honestly kind of repulsive, because this isn't a work of fiction, it's a fantasy that only lives in your head when you're not subjecting your poor girlfriend and the members of this forum to it.

There is no good reason to fantasize about this.
    NOSTRI said:

Doubleme said:

NOSTRI said:

Doubleme said:

Most events that happen in the world are replayed in some way in my sillyness. Me having racist characters in my fantasy worlds is not me wanting actual racists to exist or endorsing racism. In most stories their are good guys there are evil guys.

To be clear, I am not accusing you of endorsing racism. But think about what you're saying here.

In your own words, you've arbitrarily inserted abhorrent racists into this fantasy world in an attempt to create a good guys vs bad guys dichotomy taht reflects the real world. There is nothing inherently wrong with that if it serves some narrative purpose, but it does not. They're just there because hey why not, I guess? The bad guys you're intent on introducing could take absolutely any form; you're limited only by your imagination. And yet you've plumped for militant racists.

Winnie the Pooh is a good example here, because A.A. Milne introduces conflict between characters in his stories too, but he does so in a way that makes sense in the Winnie the Pooh universe, using forest animals rather than militant racists, invoking issues and conflicts that actually make sense in that world, without introducing characters that many of his readers literally live in fear of. And he has a reason for doing this: to entertain and educate his readers.

An analogue of the KKK existing in a world of teddy bears is completely discordant with this scenario and there is no conflict-resolution arc or educational purpose to speak of. They're just there, being racist.

Why? What is the purpose of reproducing overt hate crimes in this fictional world? That's not a "silly," it's honestly kind of repulsive, because this isn't a work of fiction, it's a fantasy that only lives in your head when you're not subjecting your poor girlfriend and the members of this forum to it.

There is no good reason to fantasize about this.
    Okay you dont like the story, each to their own. Anyway my girlfriend saw this and said absolutely no way can I cast pinky bear as a racist. Pinky bear is her childhood teddy I really don't know why so many girls have a childhood teddy called pinky bear its such a cliche. I guess I do get Count Dankula teaching his girlfriends pug the Nazi salute as a joke.

He did it because he thought it was funny teaching her cute pet which is meant to be cute and innocent to do the most offensive thing possible. I see the humor in that I guess I went the same direction for the same reasons with my girlfriends pinky bear.

I think different people like different stories and have different humor I wont apologize for the stories I like to create or the humor. but I guess I can leave the updates of this one out if so many people do not like the story here.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    You've got a weird sense of humour i'm surprised your gf gets it unless you're one of the same
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,699
    I’m losing track of all of the fictional characters here, is the GF real? If so I don’t know how/why she puts up with all the sillies.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited February 2022
    NOSTRI said:

Doubleme said:

Do like this post. Had responded to social media post on the Ukr-Rus tensions on social for the first time earlier today. The chap appeared to have handled with care and hopefully I had given a response in a similar fashion. Was wary of the power of the words used and felt it was a healthy enough small discussion.

Back to this. Not familiar with the term "punching up" however will have a look at that for a bit of extra knowledge. Anyway..... :)

Doubleme's posts can be off the wall and this one seemed to have hit a few buttons. It did not hit push mine however buttons are different for us all.

If I am reading this right your post is saying Doubleme is crafting a fantasy world with the Winni's as a joke and not handling with due care and the post has no value or point?

I do believe the post to be one of Doubleme's "silly" ones and can be viewed from the perspective of being mildly offensive to some, very offensive to others and some with no real thoughts either way.
    Cammykaze said:

NOSTRI said:

Doubleme said:

Do like this post. Had responded to social media post on the Ukr-Rus tensions on social for the first time earlier today. The chap appeared to have handled with care and hopefully I had given a response in a similar fashion. Was wary of the power of the words used and felt it was a healthy enough small discussion.

Back to this. Not familiar with the term "punching up" however will have a look at that for a bit of extra knowledge. Anyway..... :)

Doubleme's posts can be off the wall and this one seemed to have hit a few buttons. It did not hit push mine however buttons are different for us all.

If I am reading this right your post is saying Doubleme is crafting a fantasy world with the Winni's as a joke and not handling with due care and the post has no value or point?

I do believe the post to be one of Doubleme's "silly" ones and can be viewed from the perspective of being mildly offensive to some, very offensive to others and some with no real thoughts either way.
    well this sums it up well, yes I like to be silly I enjoy been silly sometimes. I dont really seek to offend anyone or belittle anyone just to be silly. I mean I could say similiar things about certain movies Hostal and the Hills have eyes seemed like just paying to watch someone be tortured I did not enjoy either of these movies. but I would not judge negatively any of the writers or creators of those films/stories. A story is just that a story.