You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Phil Collins.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,537
Frail Phil Collins, 71, sits while performing in Berlin during European leg of Genesis' The Last Domino? tour - as the singer battles debilitating health conditions

Phil Collins continued to look frail as he performed with his band Genesis at the Mercedes Benz Arena in Berlin on Monday night. The singer, who is touring with fellow bandmates Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks, all 71, shot a glum expression as he remained seated throughout the gig. He's been plagued by a number of health issues in recent years, starting with an injured vertebrae in his upper back in 2009.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10587905/Glum-Phil-Collins-71-continues-look-frail-sits-performing-Genesis-gig-Berlin.html

Comments

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    What a trooper!
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
    Cammykaze said:

What a trooper!

He did both the live aids in the same day
    I once said hello while i was working in Guildford and he was walking up the high street , he said hello back with a thumbs up
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Seems a good man. Nice story that one. :)
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,531
    stokefc said:

I once said hello while i was working in Guildford and he was walking up the high street , he said hello back with a thumbs up

I once said hello to Bruce Forsyth at Wentworth golf course as he drove by on a golf buggy. He stuck two fingers up and shouted '**** OFF!'. True story.

Here's to you Brucey.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    understandable if you’d said “nice to see you”
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    bbMike said:

understandable if you’d said “nice to see you”

Which reminds me of a Bobby Davro joke I heard this week. Did you hear what Brucey actually died from?.........

....a nasty seizure, a nasty seizure B)

Back to Phil. Agree with Stokey.....what a guy for still touring. God bless him.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    edited March 2022
    stokefc said:

Cammykaze said:

What a trooper!

That reminds me.

I was briefly working in a pub in the 1980s just outside Guildford. Forget the village, but I recall it had 2 pubs, and Phil Collins drank in the other one.

It was the landlady's daughter's birthday-think she was about 10. She was a huge Phil Collins fan. In walks Phil Collins, to sing Happy Birthday to her. Stopped for the one pint, and, as he left, gave her a Birthday Card on the way out.

Only after he had gone did the landlady and her daughter realise he had gifted them both front row tickets to his next concert, together with back stage passes. Class.

Not a huge fan of his music (except for Follow You, Follow Me).

But a huge fan of the man.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,281
    Saw them at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool in Oct, wrote a brief review on the rail. Musically still as brilliant as ever but the ravages of time come to us all.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,537
    'After tonight, we'll all have to get real jobs': Frail Phil Collins, 71, stands with Genesis bandmates Mike Rutherford, 71, and Tony Banks, 72, as iconic band bid farewell to fans at FINAL ever concert in London

Phil Collins bade an emotional farewell to Genesis fans alongside bandmates Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks in London on Saturday - as the iconic band played their final ever concert. London's 02 provided the backdrop for the band's last show on their The Last Domino? Tour - with frail frontman Phil, 71, telling the crowd he will now have to get a real job.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10656895/Frail-Phil-Collins-stands-Genesis-bandmates-iconic-band-play-FINAL-concert.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    HAYSIE said:

'After tonight, we'll all have to get real jobs': Frail Phil Collins, 71, stands with Genesis bandmates Mike Rutherford, 71, and Tony Banks, 72, as iconic band bid farewell to fans at FINAL ever concert in London

Phil Collins bade an emotional farewell to Genesis fans alongside bandmates Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks in London on Saturday - as the iconic band played their final ever concert. London's 02 provided the backdrop for the band's last show on their The Last Domino? Tour - with frail frontman Phil, 71, telling the crowd he will now have to get a real job.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10656895/Frail-Phil-Collins-stands-Genesis-bandmates-iconic-band-play-FINAL-concert.html

His net worth is estimated at $300 million.

I'm suspecting he is not about to start work at B&Q...
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,548
    Cost him that to get Travel Insurance....
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,281
    edited March 2022
    In all honesty Genesis under Collins lasted far longer than anybody thought was possible.

When Gabriel left and Collins took over on vocals many thought that the lack of creativity and imagination would signal a demise and the eventual break up. Somehow the group as a foursome flourished until Steve Hackett suddenly quit, almost on the eve of recording a new album.

Now this was for many fans THE pivotal moment, instead of imploding, Collins, Banks and Rutherford recorded and put out "Then There Were Three" a mesmeric mix of power ballad, prog rock and catchy pop.

It worked, and with Chester Thompson (drums) and Daryll Sturmer (guitars) drafted in to make live shows possible, 1980's "Duke" album and tour went mainstream with TOTP appearances and a sell out world tour.

The intervening years saw Genesis adapt and evolve, often taking years out to look, successfully, to solo projects.

Collins never shied away from putting the emotions of a divorce, subsequent alcohol addiction, estranged children and a second divorce into song often making reference to these life struggles in his lyrics.

It was almost a circle of life moment to see his son drumming on the "Last Domino" Tour whilst his daughter spoke of having meaningful contact again with her father.

So thanks to Phil Collins I got to enjoy almost 45 more years of Genesis than I thought. The final tour was as good as any I'd seen from them and a wonderful way to bow out.

Phil looked every one of his 71 years, frail and not well and I have a terrible feeling that it won't be long before he is mentioned in another thread.

When that day comes I shall offer a prayer of thanks then go and put Undertow on and have a little cry.