You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Do you read the Results Threads? If so....

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,832
edited March 2022 in Poker Chat
... how would you like to see them improved?

More results, less results, different MTT's covered?

More wordy stuff, less wordy stuff?

Keep the "preamble" (traffic & sports reports) or drop them?

Any other suggestions?

What DON'T you like about them? What DO you like about them?

Am happy to (try to) accommodate any reasonable suggestions if they seem worthwhile.

I have to say, it's a struggle to keep them fresh, having not missed a day in around 3 years, except of course during SPT's etc when I just do a "Lite" version, with the results but no waffle. I admit I do struggle a bit with creativity after so long, & I'm not exactly Shakespeare or Hemingway.

They currently take 3- 4 hours per day, & I'm not keen to increase that tbh, but am quite happy to make any worthwhile changes.

They get very little feedback - that's fine, they are primarily "read only" - but the number of Views seems to hold up well, so maybe leave well alone

Not fishing for compliments (or insults...) here btw, just trying to see if we can make things better.

TIA

Comments

• MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483

Honest review

Even though I feature very very rarely, the results thread is a must read every day with a coffee.

I honestly think you put up too many results which obviously increases your work load. Perhaps just keep to the daily Mains & Minis each day plus the weekly bigger games like Summit & the Friday BH etc.

I also think that you have got into pandering to the Discord group too much. Not really a criticism, just an observation. After all, this is the Sky Poker Forum.

As you know, I occasionally covered GaryQQQ and did the results on his Result's thread. That was just basic reporting of the results with no 'waffle' . I do however enjoy your one liners and I think that always adds to the enjoyment of the daily read. BUT, if you are busy/snowed under on any given day, the basic results would suffice (IMHO).

Anyway, that is my two pennies worth.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Hi Tikay,

I do read dailies whenever online at Sky and they do normally feel "fresh" from my end. Enjoy the history you bring about players backgrounds on Sky and the personal touches. Love the "preamble/waffle" about sports that I don't follow or hear about, it's good to read for diversity. I did really like your social commentary and particularly fairly recently about the current Rus-Ukr situation which resonated with many here I would think. Maybe more news snippets/finance/business news as part of the 'pre-results' :)

Only a thought, it maybe does not feel fresh as the Sky player pool is quite small and with the better players cashing in the bigger tournaments it's the same players appearing on the results thread. Perhaps commenting on a morning/afternoon or after midnight tournament will give other players a bit of shine and fresher content to comment on.

Would say though the This time Last Year has not been a great addition from a personal POV as simply I have never been interested enough in reading about last years results (no idea if I am in the majority or minority here).

3-4 hours is a fair chunk of anyone's day and really appreciate the time and effort you put into it. A weekly roundup of big results elsewhere or big wins on Sky could be an idea? Not 100% sure how that would come about and only throwing a couple of balls in the air.
  • MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited March 2022
    I take a look at the results thread every day. To be honest I usually scroll straight down to the first MTT write up (sorry) and go from there. I might be in a minority here, but if it was me doing the write up every day and I was looking to shave a bit off the time invested I would probably drop that bit first. (The bit that precedes the first MTT result. Didn't make that clear first time round)

They are always well written. The puns are great (the triple barrel pun the other day was exquisite). I also like the way you put an individuals result in any given tournament into context and we get an idea of whether it was a big result for them or if it was par for the course. For players who feature regularly you often recap historic results and how they have progressed or how their recent results compare to lifetime results. I enjoy all of that.

I think the mix of tournaments covered is just about perfect but maybe including the 18:30 £5.50 BH might get a few more eyes on? You might find that players who play that £5.50 might be more keen to see if they make it into the results thread than the handful of regulars playing the Midnight Express, for example. Maybe not. Maybe leave it as is.

tldr

You do a great job with these which is much appreciated and would be hard to improve upon in my opinion.

ps

One of the best bits is needling @NOSTRI so keep that in, more of that if anything.
    edited March 2022
    MAXALLY said:

Honest review

Even though I feature very very rarely, the results thread is a must read every day with a coffee.

I honestly think you put up too many results which obviously increases your work load. Perhaps just keep to the daily Mains & Minis each day plus the weekly bigger games like Summit & the Friday BH etc.

I also think that you have got into pandering to the Discord group too much. Not really a criticism, just an observation. After all, this is the Sky Poker Forum.

As you know, I occasionally covered GaryQQQ and did the results on his Result's thread. That was just basic reporting of the results with no 'waffle' . I do however enjoy your one liners and I think that always adds to the enjoyment of the daily read. BUT, if you are busy/snowed under on any given day, the basic results would suffice (IMHO).

Just to say, I would find it hard to disagree with much of that. Basic results if busy, much more waffle and anything off-topic/newsworthy on days that you have more time in would be brilliant too ;)

Even cutting out some of the tourneys from the results thread and adding in the 18:30 or similar type of tourney as MynaFrett says.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    MAXALLY said:

Honest review

I completely agree with this.

If I am being honest, this is always a good read-sorry I don't comment on it more. In order it is:-the puns; the name checks, the ribbing, the results.

If I am being brutally honest, this forum has its ups and downs. But you (Tony) invest a lot more time and energy than the owners of Sky Poker do.

This poker site is on its knees. And, without the joy that your posts generally, and the Results thread specifically, bring, I (and I suspect many others) would be playing a lot less on Sky than we do.

Main/Mini/110s/SPTs? Always.

Rest? Bare results, with the odd comment.

And, if you wanted time off, I am sure that several of us would temporarily fill in for you.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    edited March 2022
    I agree with both ALAN and Cammy ........slightly less of the same smaller tourney results ......maybe just one or two extra different results to the Main, Mini, and BIG £110ers.....especially if someone new, different or an OLD has-been like @madprof features :D

Defo as much bants as possible, and interesting facts/stories, and yes a weekly round-up of a Live event, particularly if a SKY player does well

Thank you for all the work you do on the Results thread Tony .....hopefully I can feature in Monday's round-up for Sunday's mini :)
    Essexphil said:

MAXALLY said:

Honest review

I completely agree with this.

If I am being honest, this is always a good read-sorry I don't comment on it more. In order it is:-the puns; the name checks, the ribbing, the results.

If I am being brutally honest, this forum has its ups and downs. But you (Tony) invest a lot more time and energy than the owners of Sky Poker do.

This poker site is on its knees. And, without the joy that your posts generally, and the Results thread specifically, bring, I (and I suspect many others) would be playing a lot less on Sky than we do.

Main/Mini/110s/SPTs? Always.

Rest? Bare results, with the odd comment.

And, if you wanted time off, I am sure that several of us would temporarily fill in for you.
    It has, have been involved on and off in the most ludicrous threads at times and there is some amount of stamina shown to players who simply do not deserve the time and patience of the guys here.

Forums can be quite old-fashioned however I do still like to use them, it's nice to have a platform outwith social media and other messaging apps. Maybe showing my age here. ;)
  • Shrimpy28Shrimpy28 Member Posts: 142
    edited March 2022
    @Tikay10 I read every word of the results round-up everyday, it's part of my routine and would hate for you to think you were somewhat wasting your time, however 3-4 hours a day is a very big part of your day to be doing this and I would definitely look to condense that time, although I don't think the intro particularly needs to go for that to happen, the information usually in there is last night's traffic and the sport which you love so probably writes itself fairly quickly and easily inside your head. IMO I would drop some of the bigger featured MTT write ups including the Sheriff & the Quickdraw specifically, they are probably averaging 30 unique entries at the minute and I wouldn't glorify winning that ahead of a smaller buy-in perhaps for people who read these everyday but have no chance of featuring as a lot of these are outside their buy-in range, the 18.30 5.50bh would be one I'd be keen to see included instead and perhaps another one to celebrate and find out a bit more about some of the small ball players on the site rather than @cpfc_2010 luckboxing his way to a sit n go sheriff win (although palace don't get much success so probably unfair to specifically name check him), perhaps just giving a fact/stat or a mention to each winner of each tournament rather than writing a brief something about each of the final 6 in each tournament might also save some time, at least as a rule, with the odd exception when @NOSTRI makes a place on the FT!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
  • BoxsterBoxster Member Posts: 4,460
    edited March 2022
    I read the results thread everyday even though I don't often appear on it. Enjoy the puns even though some take a bit or working out!

3-4 hours, wow that is some time and dedication. If anything drop the sports stuff. I don't usually click on the same time last year link.

Agree on including the 6:30pm £5 BH but that is even more workload.

Keep up the great forum work, we appreciate it.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    I think keep the first bit. I couldn't care less about the MTT results but so often that first section reminds me of some sporting event I hadn't been keeping tabs on and need to monitor or informs of something that happened the day prior that I'd missed.
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,012
    Agree with everything both @MynaFrett and @Shrimpy28 have said.
  • NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    I think everyone would probably like it if you needled me less.
  • Shrimpy28Shrimpy28 Member Posts: 142

I think keep the first bit. I couldn't care less about the MTT results but so often that first section reminds me of some sporting event I hadn't been keeping tabs on and need to monitor or informs of something that happened the day prior that I'd missed.

that's a good point, you write the prizepol in brackets anyway for each individual tournament, seems unnecessary to write all them out in a block together beforehand
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,832

Some terrific feedback already.

Based on what I've seen so far there will be some changes as & from tomorrow.
  • TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,240
    Thoroughly enjoy the write ups but in line with everyone else, finding three or four hours a day for this seems too much alongside other demands on your time. I also don’t bother with the who won what last year thread. Sorry.

I would say though, don’t do yourself down. You have a wonderful turn of phrase that ensures that we do enjoy reading the preamble plus the comments on individual tournaments. Not sure exactly what the answer is as I like it all but don’t wish to impose such a drain on your time by keeping it as is.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Perhaps you could add a 'best bad beat of the day' comp everyday on the results thread and invite players to post up their HH's from the previous day of their worst beat. Tikay will then have to judge which is the best (worse) and award them a badge or something. That should increase views and posts.

Go on, I dare you B)

• MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Big issue is loads of us read but don't post which has been an issue with the forum for a long while.

I agree that losing say quickdraw, turbo and sheriff and adding a lower buy in bigger field MTT and maybe a random MTT each day might be the way to go. You could get the lobby details saved and if its a forum fav that wins you could then post. I think if you do a random MTT then this might get people to post more. Maxally's idea to have something that encourages people to post is a good one.
  • edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,891
    I read, and enjoy it every day.

I think you strike a good balance with your write-ups, and I quite like the preamble. I'm another who doesn't click the historic link.

Another vote for the 6.30 £5.50 BH to be included. This, with the 7@7 will increase your view count amongst the smaller buy in, earlier finish players.

3-4 hours though :o
    I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to thin it down a little.
  • thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 926
    I go through phases of reading the results threads every day, and then there's times when I only log on to the forum a couple times per week. But I always thoroughly enjoy your write-ups, even though I rarely feature. I didn't realise how much time it takes.

For me, I do agree with the opinions that the list of tournaments and their prizepools are a bit redundant in their own post as they are all repeated individually later. And that perhaps including a couple other lower buyin events with higher number of players in place of the one or two with fewer entries events - the majority being the same regs daily - could help provide more interest to a wider audience. As been said already, the £5 £1,000 BH @ 18:30, and/or perhaps the £2 £500 BH @ 20:00 could be decent alternatives. Each normally having at least a couple 100 players.

Cheers for your hard work and time keeping the forum active. It's very much appreciated!
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    Agree with a lot of what others have said - I'd also be in favour of dropping some/all of turbo/quickdraw/sheriff for some smaller stake, bigger field stuff.

I read the threads most days, but don't comment as much as I should - it's always a nice feeling to be mentioned though :)

Thank you for your hard work!