You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

whats the best way to play pocket kings before the flop

Answers

• PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,750
    edited April 2022
    @mike2877

The same as any other premium pair (J-J. Q-Q & A-A).

Do NOT over-raise because "we don't want a call". We DO want a call. No point having a monster hand & just taking the blinds.

There's an awful lot of nonsense talked about hands like Kings & Jacks ("I hate Jacks", "The Ace always comes when I have K-K") etc. Just play them strong & if we encounter a bad flop don't be afraid to fold.

They are great hands, but they don't always win. The trick is to win the max & lose the minimum.

And when we lose with them, just accept it like a grown-up, no need to make a song & dance about it. Throwing a baby-strop because our Kings get beat does not help & is very immature. A good poker player takes these minor setbacks in their stride. Poker is about the long-term, not individual hands.

Good luck.
  • PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    Tikay10 said:

@mike2877

The same as any other premium pair (J-J. Q-Q & A-A).

Do NOT over-raise because "we don't want a call". We DO want a call. No point having a monster hand & just taking the blinds.

There's an awful lot of nonsense talked about hands like Kings & Jacks ("I hate Jacks", "The Ace always comes when I have K-K") etc. Just play them strong & if we encounter a bad flop don't be afraid to fold.

They are great hands, but they don't always win. The trick is to win the max & lose the minimum.

And when we lose with them, just accept it like a grown-up, no need to make a song & dance about it. Throwing a baby-strop because our Kings get beat does not help & is very immature. A good poker player takes these minor setbacks in their stride. Poker is about the long-term, not individual hands.

Good luck.

+1 to this :)

The "problem" with these Premiums is that we are reluctant to fold, so we tend to lose big pots more than we should.

If the flop comes bad, shrug your shoulders, make the fold, or at least slow down, & give yourself a pat on the back for losing the minimum.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    before the flop

The goal pre flop, with kings, is almost always to get in as much money as you possibly can, whilst keeping villain in the hand, so that you can extract more value on later streets with your ultra premium hand.

Sometimes you might not even 3 bet (or 4 bet) , if villain always folds to that type of aggression, but generally you should do so because people have such a hard time folding to anything these days.

Simply put, if you get KK, your goal is almost always to extract as much value as you can on every street, whilst not doing anything stupid.
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    I find this stuff a great help when playing KK...

before the flop

The goal pre flop, with kings, is almost always to get in as much money as you possibly can, whilst keeping villain in the hand, so that you can extract more value on later streets with your ultra premium hand.

Sometimes you might not even 3 bet (or 4 bet) , if villain always folds to that type of aggression, but generally you should do so because people have such a hard time folding to anything these days.

Simply put, if you get KK, your goal is almost always to extract as much value as you can on every street, whilst not doing anything stupid.

@mike2877

There you go, great advice from the player who was 2nd in last night's Sunday Major.
    2nd is so bitter sweet. Spent all morning shaking my head but if I busto early then I think nothing of it.

2nd is so bitter sweet. Spent all morning shaking my head but if I busto early then I think nothing of it.

@kapowblamz

You should be used to it by now - by my reckoning that was the 4th time you've been 2nd in the Major. The win will be super sweet when it eventually comes.
    Tikay10 said:

You should be used to it by now - by my reckoning that was the 4th time you've been 2nd in the Major. The win will be super sweet when it eventually comes.

FFS
  • NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459

Fold pre.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,073
    For me it depends on what game I'm playing.

Mtt freezeout I'm raising any limps to about 60% of pot and pot raising any raise.

Mtt Bouty Hunters I'm all in the bounty makes it more likely that worse will call

Sng raising 70% of pot there's usually not enough play to get funky

Dym Turbo all in no point messing about in high variance games

Dym pot raise to call any shove

I know that's very basic and leaves tons of value on the table but I find I lose more trying to get cute.
  • GervuscasGervuscas Member Posts: 54
    i fold it and wait for 69o