You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Looking at it from the opponents point of view.

I have recently been trying to just accept beats, shrug and move on. After all they are part and parcel of poker and let's be honest when we have a flopped set we just want that draw to call us, we just don't want it to hit.

So Sunday night and I'm in a good spot when my A Q suited finds a Q 10 Q board I pop a raise in and it gets called by the button for about half his stack.

The turn is an offsuit 9 and I check it wanting him to commit because I want his bounty. He does and I snap call to see him table K J. My "one time" for the river to pair the board falls on deaf ears and it a double up for opponent and I'm down to about 50% of my stack.

That got me to thinking about his call and I can understand why he did it. Open ended with a shortish stack, I'm always doing the same,in fact I would have just shoved it rather than call.

This has led me to evaluate other instances over the evening where I felt I had not had the rub of the green and nearly always the call or shove is not as muppet or donk like as first seems.

This has meant that with this reasoning I'm less prone to tilt, don't get angry and am a better person in defeat.

Ok it won't solve the leaks in my game but it sure keeps the blood pressure down.

Comments

• Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    I know exactly what you mean.

Sometimes you can criticise every play after losing a hand but if you actually reflect you will realise that villain was just playing standard, or maybe they took a well played creative line, yet you're sat there muttering about how bad they are.

I think it happens more when you're on tilt or grumpy etc, and I would hazard a guess that it's pretty standard in general to act like this.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited April 2022

I know exactly what you mean.

Sometimes you can criticise every play after losing a hand but if you actually reflect you will realise that villain was just playing standard, or maybe they took a well played creative line, yet you're sat there muttering about how bad they are.

I think it happens more when you're on tilt or grumpy etc, and I would hazard a guess that it's pretty standard in general to act like this.

Completely agree.

I'm normally fine with Bad Beats when I can see why the villain played it that way, or if I would have considered a bluff there myself.

Whereas the ones where you have what they are representing, and they hit their miracle card? Particularly where the only correct play was to fold? A lot depends on the stakes, and whether you are winning or losing at the time.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    Essexphil said:

Whereas the ones where you have what they are representing, and they hit their miracle card? Particularly where the only correct play was to fold? A lot depends on the stakes, and whether you are winning or losing at the time.

Dealing with this spot, as most long times players know, is the path to poker zen. It's a bit of a paradox. You are annoyed that villain played bad, and took your money, but the truth is these should be your happiest moments in the knowledge that poker is not even nearly dead. How many players can actually feel happy that they just lost money tho? Not too many have reached this nirvana I'd guess.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999

Essexphil said:

Dealing with this spot, as most long times players know, is the path to poker zen. It's a bit of a paradox. You are annoyed that villain played bad, and took your money, but the truth is these should be your happiest moments in the knowledge that poker is not even nearly dead. How many players can actually feel happy that they just lost money tho? Not too many have reached this nirvana I'd guess.

That is completely true.

Sometimes I'm more Vince Lombardi than the Enlightened one:-

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser" ;)
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,554
    I have been in games where no one does anything obviously stupid and people are exploiting my leaks and the results are clear, I lose money.

I have been in games where there are lots of bad players and I take lots of ridiculous bad beats where the opponents are doing really stupid stuff and getting lucky on me. The results are clear I end up significantly up on money.

My main concern when results do not go my way is was I outplayed in certain spots did I make mistakes myself? That is what ultimately matters because in the long run I will Win or lose money based on that.

recently when playing I have taken a series of bad beats on final tables which has meant I get a little bit of profit when I feel I should have got decent profit. Of course what about the times I made final tables and won because of bad beats I put on others.

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Ask @HANSON

Early in the Vegas Semi….

He played and shoved with AA, called by 45 and the flop was 678

It will take a significant paradigm shift for Willybumhunter Hanson to get to that pop group you mentioned