You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The last Sky Poker player to cash in WSOP Main Event?

DozzaDozza Member Posts: 286
Seeing as there is plenty of Vegas talk at the moment, I was wondering if any of the Sky Poker community cashed in the WSOP Main Event over recent years?

Sue was the last one I remember. I still have vivid memories of Tikay interviewing her on the Las Vegas strip for the TV channel and coining the phrase "They used to laugh at us here at Sky Poker, well they're not laughing anymore".

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,670

@Dozza

Tough question, & one that @MattBates may be better able to answer, but my first thought would be railtard, who cashed in 2012 for around $29,000.

In fact, that may have been the last time that Sky Poker awarded $10,000 Main Event Packages, as they switched to smaller $1,000 events (Little One Drop etc) soon after, then in around 2018 they moved to the private tournament model & made it a Las Vegas SPT. And of course due to COVID, there was no Sky Poker Las Vegas Promo in 2020 or 2021.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    Lolufold cashed in one but it wasn't associated with Sky i think
  • Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,242
    stokefc said:

I remember that one @stokefc. However, I couldn't tell you the year!
  • Options
    stokefc said:

That was a few years earlier, 2010 I believe.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Jeeze , where's the time gone :/
    Edit: Did Nat Brom cash in one or was that another event?
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Jeeze , where's the time gone :/
    Edit: Did Nat Brom cash in one or was that another event?

Natalie cashed in the 2017 WSOP Tag Team Event, & more recently, in last year's $1,000 WSOP Little One Drop, where she was 117th (of 3,800) for $3,700.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    Pretty sure Stu Rutter ran deep in the last few years.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    LARSON7 said:

Yes, but not as a Sky Poker Vegas package winner which was what I assumed from the question.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:

@Dozza

Tough question, & one that @MattBates may be better able to answer, but my first thought would be railtard, who cashed in 2012 for around $29,000.

In fact, that may have been the last time that Sky Poker awarded $10,000 Main Event Packages, as they switched to smaller $1,000 events (Little One Drop etc) soon after, then in around 2018 they moved to the private tournament model & made it a Las Vegas SPT. And of course due to COVID, there was no Sky Poker Las Vegas Promo in 2020 or 2021.

They awarded main event packages after then but think you are right that Marc was the last person to cash the WSOP main from a sky package. Am sure would be players that play on sky that have cashed it since.

• Options
    MattBates said:

Tikay10 said:

@Dozza

They awarded main event packages after then but think you are right that Marc was the last person to cash the WSOP main from a sky package. Am sure would be players that play on sky that have cashed it since.

Style
  • Options
    destinycoddestinycod Member Posts: 35
    Jack Oliver played on sky
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    Tikay10 said:

LARSON7 said:

Yes, but not as a Sky Poker Vegas package winner which was what I assumed from the question.
    @Tikay10 question was "sky poker player".
  • Options
    Glenelg said:

Tikay10 said:

LARSON7 said:

@Tikay10 question was "sky poker player".
    @Glenelg

Yes, fair comment. Will have to have a re-think now, as there could be a few.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,643
    I have fantasised about winning the whole thing and then shouting into the mic I am doubleme from sky.

However I cannot afford the buyin and I am not sure my comments on sky would do my public image good. To be fair I dont really have anything outrageous or seriously controversial just silly stuff. and some big name poker pros have said some pretty outrageous things.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,194
    Would love it if somebody won the whole shebang and then said they needed to get back to Britain to try and satellite the Sunday Major on Sky Poker. #eatmyshortsstars.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,643
    Yeah cant see that ever happening. If somehow I ever did the whole thing I likely would want to hang around and celebrate for a bit it would likely be a few months before I played any proper poker session again if ever.

The issue is material returns, in accounting there is a term called material which basically means is it significant.

If someone can make say £800 a week from the game they are doing better than the vast majority of poker players. if we were to take first place which is $8million I believe. This would be £6million and £330,000.

At this point someone sensible would want to lock up investments to be secure for life.

if I was to make say 4% per year on this a more then reasonable expectation then, that would be £253200 pounds.

assuming we pay 50% tax on that I dont know how tax works for investments but to be prudent I go with that then the annual wage would be,

£126600 or £2434 a week.

At this point is me grinding 40+ hours a week to make £800 worth it? if I already have £2434 coming in for doing nothing but living of investments etc?

I know its almost a 3rd of the amount but why would I work a full week to make a third of what I get for not doing anything?

at best the sunday major on a very good day could be worth 2 weeks wages for first not bad but not something worth rushing home for on the low chance of getting lucky.

• Options
    DozzaDozza Member Posts: 286
    It seems like a few managed to cash then looking at all the posts. Interesting to see how some spread their wings and did it without a Sky Poker package. I wonder if the winner of Vegas SPT will be tempted to take their winnings and enter - assume that hasn't happened so far?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dozza said:

It seems like a few managed to cash then looking at all the posts. Interesting to see how some spread their wings and did it without a Sky Poker package. I wonder if the winner of Vegas SPT will be tempted to take their winnings and enter - assume that hasn't happened so far?

Not happened previously, & it's unlikely to happen this year, as the SPT Las Vegas is Wednesday 6th July, which also happens to be the fourth & last Day 1 flight of the WSOP Main, though I think they could Late Reg towards very end of Day 1. Not ideal though.