You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Cat-astrophe at Sainsburys. Reasonable, or unreasonable?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

Court fight looms over Sainsbury's cat ban

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61596623

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

I mean, I get that the chap has same mental health challenges, & would all have sympathy with that. But the 99.999% of us who don't need an emotional support cat with us down the local supermarket, most of us would be a little concerned about the hygiene side of things. Cats pee wherever & whenever it takes their fancy, as least that's the case in my experience.

It's a big no from me.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

The article highlights just how far these floodgates can open. A woman in the USA wanted to take her emotional support peacock on a domestic airline flight, another wanted to be accompanied on a flight by a donkey.

Of course we must try to be inclusive to all, but there has to be a reasonable limit.

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    edited May 2022
    "Reasonable adjustment" is exactly that-reasonable. Not total.

Man has problems in crowded spaces. Needs cat to help him in crowded spaces.

Sainsbury's could start arguing lots of things-for example, health & safety, likely effect on Guide Dogs, etc. All highly risky and damaging.

My solution? Sainsbury's attack the crowded space, rather than the resultant problems. Offer him regular free delivery, in return for him promising to tell them if his problem has gone away.

Because then he has been given a reasonable adjustment.

Many years ago, I had a case where I was acting for a hotel. A persistent Disability Rights campaigner was trying to humiliate service providers, using the Equality Rights Act's predecessor, the (then recently passed) Disability Discrimination Act (then colloquially known by more humorous disability campaigners, as the "Raspberry Charter").

Guy booked hotel, confirmed it, and only then informed hotel he was a wheelchair user, whereupon Hotel said couldn't accommodate him on those dates, suggested alternative hotels etc. And guy just sued hotel under the DDA.

I enjoyed that case. Because disabled people are exactly like everyone else-most good, some not so much.

Why did I enjoy it? The "reasonable adjustment" was on those exact dates the Hotel could not accommodate wheelchair users because it had pre-booked tradesmen to install ramps to ensure a step-free hotel for wheelchair users...
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,431
    I can't take my Dog Ozzie in Tesco Supermarket and have to leave him out side. He's not happy but pleased to see me when I come out.
    So for my support while in the Store I keep my pet Frog in my coat pocket, it nearly got me into trouble when it started croaking and let the cat out of the bag. Staff kept looking at me so I had to leave the store. croak!
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    Dogs man's, oops sorry persons best friend
    Well let's put it this way , lock your dog and your wife in the boot of your car for an hour, when you open it see who's pleased to see you 😀
    stokefc said:

Well let's put it this way , lock your dog and your wife in the boot of your car for an hour, when you open it see who's pleased to see you 😀

You have first hand Knowledge of this procedure and the result. Mm!

Serial killer in the making......hic!
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    edited May 2022
    goldon said:

stokefc said:

You have first hand Knowledge of this procedure and the result. Mm!

Serial killer in the making......hic!
    I would never lock my dog in the boot :o
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Tikay10 said:

I mean, I get that the chap has same mental health challenges, & would all have sympathy with that. But the 99.999% of us who don't need an emotional support cat with us down the local supermarket, most of us would be a little concerned about the hygiene side of things. Cats pee wherever & whenever it takes their fancy, as least that's the case in my experience.

It's a big no from me.

I heard this man in the radio today. He explained that the cat is specially trained. It sits in some kind of seat/harness and is strapped in. He also holds it on a lead.
    It's unlikely to be a hygiene problem for the short time he is in the supermarket.

Apparently the other supermarkets let him in.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,077
    I have to wonder if there are other establishments who permit him to enter with said beastie then why is there a need to use Sainsburys.

The less charitable among us might wonder if there is an ulterior motive.

Personally I'm ambiguous, in fact having seen some of the examples of humanity that frequent supermarkets maybe felines aren't the worst thing in the store at any given point in time and certainly better behaves and less of a H&S risk than those feral kids who seem to be everywhere.

Click & Collect works for us and could be " Cool for Cats "