You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Cash games

Humphrey43Humphrey43 Member Posts: 59
edited June 2022 in Poker Chat
Been thinking about setting aside £100 roll just for cash games starting with 2p/4p and trying to move up in the cash stakes through just playing cash. But how beatable are the lower stakes games because 7.5% rake with practically no cap seems absolutely insane

Comments

• Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 503
    Games at 4nl and 10nl are easily beatable even with the high rake. That's assuming you have a basic mastering of the game 20nl and 30nl are nit fests.

Note that the rake is capped, but the cap won't kick in often. Rake is also actually higher than 7.5%, once rounded up to the nearest penny. E.g. limp pot blind vs blind = 8p. 1p is taken for rake, which is 12.5%. Thankfully, the low standard of play more than makes up for the high rake.

Also worth noting with a low level of rake, your rakeback is very high. For something like £10 in rake per week, you get a £2.30 tournament token and five freeroll entries worth a couple of quid each. Plus the Sunday major freerolls worth a couple of quid each if you play a little bit each day. The marginal rakeback beyond that point is pretty bad - something like an extra 40 quid in rake required to net an extra £2.70. I might not quite have these exact details right, but you get the idea.
  • Humphrey43Humphrey43 Member Posts: 59
    Bean81 said:

Games at 4nl and 10nl are easily beatable even with the high rake. That's assuming you have a basic mastering of the game 20nl and 30nl are nit fests.

Note that the rake is capped, but the cap won't kick in often. Rake is also actually higher than 7.5%, once rounded up to the nearest penny. E.g. limp pot blind vs blind = 8p. 1p is taken for rake, which is 12.5%. Thankfully, the low standard of play more than makes up for the high rake.

Also worth noting with a low level of rake, your rakeback is very high. For something like £10 in rake per week, you get a £2.30 tournament token and five freeroll entries worth a couple of quid each. Plus the Sunday major freerolls worth a couple of quid each if you play a little bit each day. The marginal rakeback beyond that point is pretty bad - something like an extra 40 quid in rake required to net an extra £2.70. I might not quite have these exact details right, but you get the idea.

I have played the cash games before and I did feel like i was a decent winner at 2/4 and a breakeven player at5/10 this was before i really started to try and improve at cash I just wanted to check it was worth it. and yeah the rakeback rewards on here are the best ive ever seen on a poker site which was something I also need to take into consideration as clearly cash games are the easiest way to earn points. The one week that I played a lot of cash I got like 800 points as opposed to about 150 I usually get
  • FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    I think setting aside some money for cash games is a good idea if you're enthusiastic about improving your game. (which you seem to be) Aiming to be able to beat a bunch of different formats will make your game more well-rounded. Cash forces you to improve post-flop and gives you a big advantage early game in MTT's. The skillset you learn playing cash can be applied better to MTT's more than the other way around- the better cash players on here would also crush MTT's, whereas the better MTT regs would likely struggle at cash. I would also recommend playing some small stakes HUSNG's to force yourself to get used to having to play more hands with a wider range, It'll force you to get better. I also wouldn't place too much emphasis on immediate profits while doing this.