You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Optimal way to book flights to Vegas

kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
I'm pretty sure using Expedia, Momondo etc is the way to do it but I thought I'd ask here.

Perhaps flying to NY on the 2nd and then LV on the 3rd is cheaper?

At the moment we can't find anything for the 3rd of July for less than £800 one way for one person. We found a Virgin flight on Skyscanner for <500 but it turns out you have to be a student.

Is it because it is such late notice? Is there any chance some cheaper flight will suddenly appear at some point?

Any tips at all appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,591
    edited June 2022
    It is because of 4th July celebrations probably. We used to find this. There might be some bargains if you actually fly on 4th July.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

It is because of 4th July celebrations probably. We used to find this. There might be some bargains if you actually fly on 4th July.

I hadn't thought about that. Vegas will be even more mental then!

The prices, according to the aggregate sites, don't start coming back down until Wednesday but even then it's only fractional.

I was hoping over the next couple of days something cheaper would pop up but I guess that won't happen and we might as well just cough up the money now.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,155
    Probably a long shot but booking .com now do flights so worth checking out.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    There will be no cheap flights to Vegas this summer out of the UK.

Also, a one way flight is often the same price (or more) as a return flight when using long haul scheduled services.

Departing from Dublin used to be the trick to save £££ but even that ain't working at the moment.
  • Options
    chrisdboychrisdboy Member Posts: 32
    We found the later we left it the higher the price. They don't seem to be going down at all, BA was cheaper Virgin. You can save doing none directs but for a week trip is it worth saving £100/£150 for an extra 4 hours sat at another airport i would say is questionable. Returns with suitcase circa £1000 currently direct per person.

Chris
  • Options
    TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 75
    I've pretty much had the same problem kapowblamz.

Since the demise of Thomas Cook, the so-called Manchester International airport hasn't had a single direct route to anywhere on west coast USA.

At the time I was looking, the best 2 options to Vegas for July 3rd, were either Virgin from Heathrow or KLM from Amsterdam ( preceded by KLM shuttle from M/cr to Amsterdam and a 1hr 20min layover). I've gone for the KLM option as it arrives in Vegas 2 or 3 hours before the Virgin flight. Fingers crossed.

Cost was circa £1100 per person return, including seat reservations
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    So in the end we booked from Manchester to LV via Frankfurt of all places. 16 hour trip in all but we get into Harry Reid at 2 in the afternoon. Cost about £900 each plus extras.

Now to book flights from New York back to Manchester which is £432 direct.

This expense is painful but it will be worth it.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

So in the end we booked from Manchester to LV via Frankfurt of all places. 16 hour trip in all but we get into Harry Reid at 2 in the afternoon. Cost about £900 each plus extras.

Now to book flights from New York back to Manchester which is £432 direct.

This expense is painful but it will be worth it.

Just a heads up as you're arriving into America on a one way flight, you may well be asked by the immigration officer to show proof of onward travel, so it's worth having that printed off and to hand to save messing about trying to find it on your phone.

Probably expect a few questions as to why you don't have a typical return flight booked, too (they are still a very paranoid nation)
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 511
    Flights just cost a lot more now. I realise you're now booked, but Virgin is the best for going that way and their loyalty scheme is good. Flying to LAX then getting a connector from there or Burbank can be a way to go. Or you could drive it - that can be 4 hours there at the good times, 8 hours+ during peak times to get back to LAX (Sunday afternoons).

I've always preferred the older part of town in the evening and for some cash games. The Nugget used to have a good steak restaurant at the top and an uncapped buy in 1/2 that was incredibly fishy and had often had 1000bb pots. Been 3-4 years since I've been over that way.

Good luck.