You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Where has everyone gone

THEHERDEIETHEHERDEIE Member Posts: 25
I'm only a small stakes fun player mostly sit n go's as I can't commit the time to playing tourneys. Have noticed lately that its becoming harder to get games going as there are so few people registering is there a reason or is the site just dying.

Answers

• Options
    TheWaddyTheWaddy Member Posts: 1,592
    There is around 8 players who aggressively support the site, who would usually answer.

They would say if u dont like it, leave.... It appears alot have listened to them!
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,547
    am I one of the 8 players who supports the site?

I am probably in your hate book now because I was skeptical about your incoherent rig ideas.

At the moment in the UK we are having hot sunny weather which most people love so a lot of people would be out in the sun. On top of that a lot of people have to work more as the cost of living goes up.

The UK gambling sphere is in a state of flux at the moment due to responsible gambling initiatives as well and the rumored white paper which is basically starting to resemble the dragons coming in south parks parody of Game of thrones. not sure if people are been restricted in play or loading money on heard stuff from people but think they messing with me.

Waddy what are your thoughts regarding the Winni the pooh horror movie coming out?

• Options
    TheWaddyTheWaddy Member Posts: 1,592
    The moderator has made a schoolboy error in carressing the ego's of the dominant few and letting them be aggressive towards newcomers and also telling them to leave if they dont like it. He should have nipped that in the bud.

Now we have a site with declining numbers. A few of us give them some invaluable information to our experiences with the site, these should be the comments that matter most in order to improve. Nothing improves, mostly gets worse and the 'clever' comments are the ones the Moderator backs.

I still play here, as im thick skinned. I think those who arent happy about something, use the forum to air it, then get humiliated by the same old people, simply do go elsewhere.

If you think gamblers stop because bread has gone up 30p, they dont... and the sun hasnt even come out up north this summer yet!

No-one is either stopping playing in anticipation of a white paper either. The contents of that shouldnt affect anyone unless they are gambling too much or cant afford it... and if your worried bout it coming in, then its a good thing for you!

• Options
    MspillerMspiller Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2022

I'm only a small stakes fun player mostly sit n go's as I can't commit the time to playing tourneys. Have noticed lately that its becoming harder to get games going as there are so few people registering is there a reason or is the site just dying.

Other sites are still relatively busy. I would say people are walking away from the site due to its stupidly high rake in DYM turbo games which is above industry standard and because the software is akin to something out of the late 1990's.

Mark
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Mspiller said:

Other sites are still relatively busy. I would say people are walking away from the site due to its stupidly high rake in DYM turbo games which is above industry standard and because the software is akin to something out of the late 1990's.

Mark
    That is not the whole answer. For example, other sites are also declining. Although probably at a slower rate. And DYMs are extremely rare elsewhere. The STTs have a lower rake on Sky, but they get largely ignored. For reasons I do not understand. The rake is half that of the DYMs

The software? Late 1990s? That late? Some would say reassuringly retro. Others most definitely would not. The lack of investment in software is clear for all to see.

But, to be fair, the post is part of the answer...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Mspiller said:

Mark
    That is not the whole answer. For example, other sites are also declining. Although probably at a slower rate. And DYMs are extremely rare elsewhere. The STTs have a lower rake on Sky, but they get largely ignored. For reasons I do not understand. The rake is half that of the DYMs

The software? Late 1990s? That late? Some would say reassuringly retro. Others most definitely would not. The lack of investment in software is clear for all to see.

All dym's and 6 max STT are 10% on Sky Poker aren't they?

Other sites seem to be thriving to me - I do play on another one too, which has a lot of dym games and there were 18 DYM tables running this morning at 11am on a Friday. At the same time there were 2/3 on Sky Poker.

There is no doubt in my mind that the players are not coming to Sky, or did but have left, predominantly because the software isn't good.
  • Options
    Mspiller said:

Essexphil said:

Mspiller said:

Mark

Other sites seem to be thriving to me - I do play on another one too, which has a lot of dym games and there were 18 DYM tables running this morning at 11am on a Friday. At the same time there were 2/3 on Sky Poker.

There is no doubt in my mind that the players are not coming to Sky, or did but have left, predominantly because the software isn't good.
    The 6-max STTs are 5% rake. So-£1.05, £2.10, £5.25 etc.

Mystery to me why so few STTs run on here-far fewer than the DYMs.

Other sites are most definitely not thriving. Think GG Poker is the exception-but not for UK players.

The software is a factor. As is the UK regulatory framework. As is the fact that lots of losing players have chosen to spend their money on something else.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    Essexphil said:

Mspiller said:

Essexphil said:

Mspiller said:

Mark

Other sites are most definitely not thriving. Think GG Poker is the exception-but not for UK players.

The software is a factor. As is the UK regulatory framework. As is the fact that lots of losing players have chosen to spend their money on something else.
    only the hypers have 5% rake. The regular speeds are 10%
  • Options

Essexphil said:

Mspiller said:

Essexphil said:

Mspiller said:

Mark

only the hypers have 5% rake. The regular speeds are 10%
    I only play the fast ones. Fair comment.

Fact remains there are 20-30 Turbo DYMs for every Hyper. and they both have 2 minute blinds, despite the different names
  • Options

I only play the fast ones. Fair comment.

Fact remains there are 20-30 Turbo DYMs for every Hyper. and they both have 2 minute blinds, despite the different names

Aha! Well at least I now know that there are hyper 6 max games too - I didn't even know they existed until your comments here Phil. Not exactly easy to find in the lobby so that's probably why people don't play them.

The regular 6 max which do get 'some' traffic are 10%, the hypers are 5%.

So why are the turbo dym's 10% and not 5%?!

Whilst i'm here - is there any particular reason why the software hasn't been replaced/updated?
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,347
    @Mspiller

Whilst i'm here - is there any particular reason why the software hasn't been replaced/updated?

There has been an update.

Sadly, the update came with a stealth downgrade.

We lost the ability to view hand histories a tournament at a time.

It got mentioned here and I got the impression Sky would be reinstating it but that didn't materialise.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Also, there have been genuine reasons that have at least contributed to the lack of new Software.

1. Some time ago, there was work in progress to update the software
    2. Sky Betting & Gaming was then bought by the Stars Group. Poker stars wanted the synergies via other (larger) parts of SB&G, and new software was delayed
    3. Then, while some progress was being made in relation to new software, the entire Stars Group (including SB&G) was bought by the Flutter Group, causing further delay

https://www.flutter.com/our-brands/

I think the simple reason why Sky don't tell us stuff is because they do not know themselves...