You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Taiwan

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,554
So It looks like China are doing military exercises around Taiwan with lots of troops on the border seems familiar to the the Russian drill around Ukraine which turned into an invasion.

If we think about from Chinas perspective now would be absolutely the perfect time to invade Taiwan, we cannot put sanctions on them because we already seriously struggling with our economic war with Russia. This would likely just bankrupt us all.

Also are we really going to declare war on China if we do that likely Russia declares war on us and even without that we would be significantly weakened by such a war allowing Russia to pounce and start carving up Europe.

Quite frankly we would be able to do absolutely nothing what so ever if China invades Taiwan right now. China have wanted to take Taiwan for a long time.

Maybe I am wrong but with all this I just cannot see China not Invading Taiwan.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,982
    You dont get up very early.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,554
    HAYSIE said:

You dont get up very early.

yeah I do tend to a night owl unless I have work or some important reason to be up early I usually am rarely up before mid day. I have had breakfast at 5pm before.
  • Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    thats autocratic bullies for you china and russia want to rule the world both radical nut job leaders
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,724
    legascaac said:

thats autocratic bullies for you china and russia want to rule the world both radical nut job leaders

Makes you wonder what the people who view these “ radical nut jobs “ think of the “Great British Empire”
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited August 2022
    tomgoodun said:

legascaac said:

Makes you wonder what the people who view these “ radical nut jobs “ think of the “Great British Empire”
    It is interesting to note that history tends to be written by the winners of wars, rather than a more balanced outlook. Similarly, Britain has tended to be both extremely good at winning wars, and glossing over the reasons behind them.

2 pieces of history that never get taught in history:-

1. The Crimean War. France & Britain (plus others) v Russia. One of the main causes of the war? France's insistence that they were entitled to discriminate against Russian Orthodox Christians in favour of Roman Catholics. In Palestine. The Churches managed to come to a compromise, but the French ignored it. and we invaded Crimea. Much like the Russians recently.

2. The Opium Wars. We fought 2 wars v China because they had the temerity to ban Drug smuggling by the British Empire. In China. We went to war against China for the right to continue drug smuggling at then-record levels. At the time, Opium was the drug of choice in the Western World-think Heroin, Cocaine and Marijuana today. Part of the "peace" treaty was that China were forced to hand over a 150-year lease on part of its territory-Hong Kong. When that Lease ended, I saw lots of articles bemoaning the end of the Lease-but nothing to say why it started. Which was drugs and guns.

A lot of the World despises some of the things the British Empire did. But not the likes of Putin. He wants to copy it.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,632
    I can see a lot of de-stablization in the world in the next few years , worrying times