You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Police Bullies?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,748
'It was taking a mallet to smash an acorn': Terminally-ill university lecturer, 55, who was tackled to the ground and arrested for mooning a speed camera is CLEARED... as police launch review of case

Darrell Meekcom, 55, was arrested in the garden of his home in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, by several officers after dropping his trousers at a mobile speed camera van in November last year. Following the incident, three police cars pulled up outside the home of Mr Meekcom - who also has Parkinson's Disease and heart and kidney problems - and demanded to be let in. When the disabled father-of-two refused, officers allegedly raided his home and kicked down the garden gate before wrestling Mr Meekcom to the ground outside to put him in cuffs. After being cleared of a public order offence at Redditch Magistrates Court today, Mr Meekcom blasted West Mercia Police.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11074285/Terminally-ill-university-lecturer-55-mooned-speed-camera-bucket-list-cleared.html

Comments

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,455
    The Cheek of it......nothing wrong with Moonies. Sun Myung Moon.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,748
    goldon said:

The Cheek of it......nothing wrong with Moonies. Sun Myung Moon.

People usually say that you would think that they would have better, more important things to do.
    Yet they can turn up mob handed, and wrestle a man that needs a wheelchair to the ground. for a case that eventually gets thrown out of court.
    If the man had been burgled they would have probably been too busy to turn up.
    There is absolutely no shape on them at all.
    So are we Witnessing the start of a " Police State " Putin Style.
    He was just being friendly having heard there were more gay police in the Force now.
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,586
    R Soles.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,000
    Police 'tasered' 93-year-old disabled care home resident.

Two police officers are under criminal investigation on suspicion of manslaughter after a 93-year-old disabled man with dementia died after being Tasered in a care home.

Sussex Police were called to the home in St Leonards-on-Sea on June 21 following reports that a wheelchair bound male resident was threatening staff with a knife.

When they arrived they discovered 93-year-old Donald Burgess, who only had one leg and was suffering from dementia, holding a knife.

After briefly engaging with him one of the officers used PAVA spray and a baton in an attempt to disarm and restrain him.

A second officer then deployed his Taser before the knife was removed and Mr Burgess was handcuffed.

He was then taken to hospital for medical treatment, but died three weeks later on July 13. The exact cause of death has not yet been established.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched an investigation into the use of force and two police constables are under criminal investigation.

IOPC Regional Director Graham Beesley said “I want to express my sympathies to the man’s relatives and those who knew him. We have advised his next-of-kin of our independent investigation and explained the steps we will be taking.

“This will include investigating whether the force used by the two officers against this male, was reasonable, necessary and proportionate in the circumstances and in line with local and national policies, procedures and guidance.”
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,017
    "Causing anxiety"

Should arrest the Government...

Video:

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,972
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Police. But some of these attacks on them are unfair.

1. The 55-yr-old terminally ill man. At which point is it acceptable to inflict a 55-yr-old's harris on the person monitoring the speed camera? Is it not the fact that the primary cause of the waste of police time is his attitude when the police turned up at his house. Perhaps if he could have been bothered to tell the Police (rather than the papers) about his terminal condition, this would have ended differently.

2. The 93-yr-old with a knife. You can focus on the 93-yr-old bit. Me? I prefer to focus on the knife, and the damage that can be caused by anyone wielding one. There are all sorts of conditions that can make a 93-yr-old want to kill. Anyone rather the police just let him stab people?

3. The searches. The Headline one about the girl doing her GCSEs was terrible. But, in a lot of other cases, what are the police to do? It is routine for drugs gangs to pass drugs & weapons to kids to evade detection. Police have to be able to search kids-the key is that they should need probable cause first. Easy for papers to say "majority" not charged-but that usually means a large minority were charged.

The Police have a difficult job to do. They certainly don't always get it right. But-unlike the papers-they don't have 20/20 hindsight, and try and protect all of us.
    Essexphil said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the Police. But some of these attacks on them are unfair.

1. The 55-yr-old terminally ill man. At which point is it acceptable to inflict a 55-yr-old's harris on the person monitoring the speed camera? Is it not the fact that the primary cause of the waste of police time is his attitude when the police turned up at his house. Perhaps if he could have been bothered to tell the Police (rather than the papers) about his terminal condition, this would have ended differently.

I agree with some of that.
    Although you must surely wonder why three police cars, and 6 officers, would turn up, when they are always making excuses about being too busy.
    Do you really think this was a wise use of resources, after considering the offence he committed?
    You would have hoped that fewer officers could have handled this better.
    The fact the court cleared him, when he was obviously guilty, says a lot about how the police handled it.
    Why did they kick his gate down?
    Why were the police not forthcoming with the body cam footage?
    What was the reason for their visit to his home?

If you just consider the result, you must say that the police could have done much better.
    They turned up mob handed.
    They have wrestled to the ground a terminally ill, wheelchair bound, man with all sorts of other health problems, to the ground.
    Caused damage to his property.
    Were reluctant to provide body cam footage that evidenced their actions.
    The offender got off.
    The police have further damaged their reputation.
    Hardly the result they were looking for?

3. The 93-yr-old with a knife. You can focus on the 93-yr-old bit. Me? I prefer to focus on the knife, and the damage that can be caused by anyone wielding one. There are all sorts of conditions that can make a 93-yr-old want to kill. Anyone rather the police just let him stab people?

Without going in to the details, you would hope that the police in this country could have got the knife off a 93 year old man without killing him.
    How much of a threat is a one legged, 93 year old in a wheelchair?

4. The searches. The Headline one about the girl doing her GCSEs was terrible. But, in a lot of other cases, what are the police to do? It is routine for drugs gangs to pass drugs & weapons to kids to evade detection. Police have to be able to search kids-the key is that they should need probable cause first. Easy for papers to say "majority" not charged-but that usually means a large minority were charged.

They could have at least had an appropriate adult present, and complied with the law.

The Police have a difficult job to do. They certainly don't always get it right. But-unlike the papers-they don't have 20/20 hindsight, and try and protect all of us.

I agree that they have an extremely difficult job to do, but there are so many occasions when they dont do themselves any favours.
    Essexphil said:

2. The 93-yr-old with a knife. You can focus on the 93-yr-old bit. Me? I prefer to focus on the knife, and the damage that can be caused by anyone wielding one. There are all sorts of conditions that can make a 93-yr-old want to kill. Anyone rather the police just let him stab people?

3. The searches. The Headline one about the girl doing her GCSEs was terrible. But, in a lot of other cases, what are the police to do? It is routine for drugs gangs to pass drugs & weapons to kids to evade detection. Police have to be able to search kids-the key is that they should need probable cause first. Easy for papers to say "majority" not charged-but that usually means a large minority were charged.

Met Police strip-searched 650 children aged ten to 17 in three years... and no 'appropriate adult' was present in nearly a QUARTER of cases, watchdog reveals

The Children's Commissioner published data from Scotland Yard showing the youngsters aged ten to 17 were strip-searched from 2018 to 2020.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11090103/Met-Police-strip-searched-650-children-aged-ten-17-three-years.html
    edited August 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I agree with some of that.
    Although you must surely wonder why three police cars, and 6 officers, would turn up, when they are always making excuses about being too busy.
    Do you really think this was a wise use of resources, after considering the offence he committed?
    You would have hoped that fewer officers could have handled this better.
    The fact the court cleared him, when he was obviously guilty, says a lot about how the police handled it.
    Why did they kick his gate down?
    Why were the police not forthcoming with the body cam footage?
    What was the reason for their visit to his home?

If you just consider the result, you must say that the police could have done much better.
    They turned up mob handed.
    They have wrestled to the ground a terminally ill, wheelchair bound, man with all sorts of other health problems, to the ground.
    Caused damage to his property.
    Were reluctant to provide body cam footage that evidenced their actions.
    The offender got off.
    The police have further damaged their reputation.
    Hardly the result they were looking for?

3. The 93-yr-old with a knife. You can focus on the 93-yr-old bit. Me? I prefer to focus on the knife, and the damage that can be caused by anyone wielding one. There are all sorts of conditions that can make a 93-yr-old want to kill. Anyone rather the police just let him stab people?

Without going in to the details, you would hope that the police in this country could have got the knife off a 93 year old man without killing him.
    How much of a threat is a one legged, 93 year old in a wheelchair?

4. The searches. The Headline one about the girl doing her GCSEs was terrible. But, in a lot of other cases, what are the police to do? It is routine for drugs gangs to pass drugs & weapons to kids to evade detection. Police have to be able to search kids-the key is that they should need probable cause first. Easy for papers to say "majority" not charged-but that usually means a large minority were charged.

They could have at least had an appropriate adult present, and complied with the law.

I agree that they have an extremely difficult job to do, but there are so many occasions when they dont do themselves any favours.
    How my 'bucket list' prank made an as s of the law: When terminally-ill retired lecturer Darrell 'mooned' at a speed camera, he never dreamed of the ordeal it would lead to. Now he shares the story that will make you despair for police priorities

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2022/08/08/6028466896860955376/636x382_MP4_6028466896860955376.mp4

Devastated when he was diagnosed with a rare terminal illness, Darrell Meekcom, 55, set about drawing up his 'bucket list'. The retired lecturer and former A&E nurse vowed to create precious memories for his young family before, he says, 'I become a prisoner in my own body'. Topping the list were a trip to Disney World with wife Sarah, 37, and daughters Phoebe, 11, and Molly, nine, tickets to see pop star Adele in Las Vegas and a Mediterranean cruise. Lastly, he joked, he'd like to 'moon' at a speed camera - payback for the few occasions he'd been caught out in his more humble Ford Focus. 'I never dreamt, in a million years, that I'd ever actually do it,' he said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11093127/When-terminally-ill-Darrell-mooned-speed-camera-never-dreamed-lead-to.html
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,624
    Wow them yank cops :o
    Unless that bloke has murdered a kid or something equally as bad them cops are the ones that should be jailed