You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

£500 deepstack has now turned into £350 for same £5.50 entry fee.

Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
edited June 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi,

Wondering why Sky have done this? You have been advertising the deepstacks quite regularly on the TV show but this seems to be a negative move. Especially when the regular GTD tourneys seem to have kept there Guaranteed/entry fee ratios.

Any reason for this 30% drop while holding the entry fee at it's original level?

Would be interesting to hear from someone from Sky over the rationale behind this.

Cheers
Dave

Comments

• Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited June 2009
    I suspect the answer to this question will be something along the lines of:

If the guarantee remained at £500, we would lose money because not enough players play the tournament to surpass it. By bringing it down to £350, we eliminate the possibilty of losing money.

They'll probably qualify that by saying the prize pool is usually above £350 anyway, so the players don't lose out any money, Sky just save money. The same goes for bringing the Primo down from £25k to £15k.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hi Neil, which do you prefer? better guarantees or the site assuming there will be enough players to make the pot £500 etc..

Dave
  • Options
    Blight1Blight1 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2009
    they aint gonna give money away, they shorten the gtd cos they aint getting the entrants, which in turn=  they get lower number of entrants cos ppl r thinkin its only 350(200. 150 etc ) now it aint worth playin
  • Options
    Blight1Blight1 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2009
    8 15 deepstack used to well over fill, now if its a 20 placer look 4 a full moon
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: £500 deepstack has now turned into £350 for same £5.50 entry fee.:
    Hi Neil, which do you prefer? better guarantees or the site assuming there will be enough players to make the pot £500 etc.. Dave
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Bigger guarantee, always. If they aren't enough players to surpass the guarantee then you get better value for the money, and when you do surpass the guarantee you get a bigger prize pool so it's a win-win! But we want doesn't always correspond with good Business, and as Blight1 concurred, Sky are not going to lose money through not having their Guarantees met.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I do think this is a reflection on Sky perhaps leaning towards short structured ALLIN/Fold kind of tournaments. Which I personally think has less skill involved. Just a shame as with Sky's resources I think they could have had the 815pm deepstack as some kind of satisfaction for the more traditionalist type player.

Oh well !
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: £500 deepstack has now turned into £350 for same £5.50 entry fee.:
    I do think this is a reflection on Sky perhaps leaning towards short structured ALLIN/Fold kind of tournaments. Which I personally think has less skill involved. Just a shame as with Sky's resources I think they could have had the 815pm deepstack as some kind of satisfaction for the more traditionalist type player. Oh well !
    Posted by Grimstar30
    I think that's just because they're more popular with new players who just love the action. Due to the educational nature of the site Sky gets a lot of new players, which means they have to run a lot of speed tournaments to keep the majority happy.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    True. Though one tournament a day (or even change it to every other day but with £700 gtd) isn't too much to ask for. Also Sky have been promoting the Deepstacks quite a lot on their MTT shows, so it just seems like a negative move.

Anyway, Neil when's your next blog up?

Dave
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You're right it is a negative move, but it's one they had to take for their own best interests. And like I said, it shouldn't make too much of a difference because £350 is the standard prize pool anyway i'd guess.

It was all typed out late last night, but again because it took so long to write (had other distractions slowing me down) I got logged out due to inactivity and it didn't post. I will try and skive off work for an hour after lunch and try and put it up then.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nice one, looking forward to the read.