You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Over The Top?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,905
edited September 2022 in The Rail
Like @Essexphil I am no great fan of the Monarchy.
Although I must say this would be a pretty insensitive time to debate their merits.

Having said that I do feel that the TV broadcasters have gone over the top.
Their coverage has made it unavoidable.
All day, and all night, every day.
Furnishing us with all the intricate details, irrespective of how unimportant they are to the majority.

When I switched on this morning the first thing I witnessed was Kay Burley interviewing a horse.
The horse was called Yogi.
He is one of the eight that will pull the gun carriage.
As I was muting my TV, she was insisting on details of the other seven.

I just think they have gone too far, whatever you think of the Monarchy.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,278
    HAYSIE said:

Although I must say this would be a pretty insensitive time to debate their merits.

Furnishing us with all the intricate details, irrespective of how unimportant they are to the majority.

When I switched on this morning the first thing I witnessed was Kay Burley interviewing a horse.

Completely agree.

No one news story, however big, should dominate not only the news but all the major channels 24/7.

The first 24 hours was ridiculous. No-one can seriously tell me that a multi-billion pound organisation did not have a contingency plan for when a 96-year-old dies.

BBC1? Fair enough. It was important. But BBC2? How many people are going to ignore BBC1, and watch the identical news coverage that was on BBC1? Why not have BBC1's programmes there? And why cancel BBC3/4 entirely that day?

BBC1 continues to provide wall-to-wall coverage, along with ITV (although peak hours are now changing). Why? How many times can the same stories be retold? Having a programme while something is happening (like the various processions, etc)? Fair enough. But it seems never-ending.

Cancellation of sport. A few needed to be cancelled, due to lack of police availability. But would have been far better (IMO) to allow people to pay tribute at sporting events, rather than cancel them.

Nothing to do with the Monarchy. Everything to do with saturation coverage of what, ultimately, is just the 1 event.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,544
    Strange times...... I agree with Haysie. :)

In the office today I compared it to watching the full 90 mins of EVERY Premiership match on a Saturday, and then still watching the full highlights later on MOTD.

I found myself turning over the MSM this week and watching all the 9/11 stuff.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    The Queens coffin will be leaving Buckingham Palace for Westminster on Monday at 2.22 pm.

Not quarter past, or half past.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,685
    Kay Burley should be pulling the carriages sanctimonious horse that she is
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,317
    HAYSIE said:

The Queens coffin will be leaving Buckingham Palace for Westminster on Monday at 2.22 pm.

Ah the good old days when a horse and carriage keeps better time than 95% of Network Rail.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,202
    HAYSIE said:

My daughter told me this a month or so ago ...... 222 is the 'Angel Number'

https://chicagoreader.com/reader-partners/angel-number-222/

Set of 2's ALWAYS beats A-ACES :D
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 868
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Completely agree.

No one news story, however big, should dominate not only the news but all the major channels 24/7.

The first 24 hours was ridiculous. No-one can seriously tell me that a multi-billion pound organisation did not have a contingency plan for when a 96-year-old dies.

BBC1? Fair enough. It was important. But BBC2? How many people are going to ignore BBC1, and watch the identical news coverage that was on BBC1? Why not have BBC1's programmes there? And why cancel BBC3/4 entirely that day?

BBC1 continues to provide wall-to-wall coverage, along with ITV (although peak hours are now changing). Why? How many times can the same stories be retold? Having a programme while something is happening (like the various processions, etc)? Fair enough. But it seems never-ending.

Cancellation of sport. A few needed to be cancelled, due to lack of police availability. But would have been far better (IMO) to allow people to pay tribute at sporting events, rather than cancel them.

Nothing to do with the Monarchy. Everything to do with saturation coverage of what, ultimately, is just the 1 event.
    Would be interested in the ratings for the coverage. If it's pulling in numbers there's clearly people out there that want to see it...for a reason that'll never be clear to me.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,188
    Preston North End have issued a lifetime stadium ban to a supporter for a derogatory tweet about the royal family.

A source with knowledge of the situation told the Guardian that the tweet, since deleted, said that the optimal way for the week to end would be for the royal family to all die on their way to the Queen’s funeral.

In a separate tweet the fan asked whether he would be ejected from the stadium for booing during a minute’s silence, and joked that he would make a Nazi salute in Queen Elizabeth II’s honour. The club were tagged in all the messages.

In a statement, Preston said they respected every individual’s right to free speech and personal opinions. But they added: “In this specific case a series of tweets were put into the public domain and by association linked to this football club. One specific tweet, which has since been deleted, crossed the boundary of acceptability and by associating us as a club a stadium ban was issued.

“As with all decisions, if the individual were to make representations as to why our decision was inappropriate to their actions we will always listen.”

Preston had initially phoned and written to the supporter last Friday after seeing the tweet but the story only emerged on Tuesday when he posted the letter on Twitter.

The letter told him: “As a result of your comments Preston North End do not want to be associated with you, therefore you are receiving a life ban. Your season ticket and club account have been blocked from use. The Police have been advised accordingly.

“This ban also relates to you entering all Preston North End FC property including the shop, ticket office and from purchasing or obtaining any away match tickets from this club. Should you enter club property during this ban you will be ejected and other actions may well follow, such as court injunctions or involvement of the police. All football clubs where Preston have an away fixture will also be informed of the ban.”

On Tuesday evening one Preston supporter said he had received the ban. “So because my views don’t line up with theirs I deserve a ban?” he wrote. “That seems a bit strange to me. What about if I don’t vote the same as them in the next election? Is that ban worthy? I don’t like the royal family, that’s not worthy of a ban.”
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Seems rather harsh to ban someone for that.

But why on earth would anybody feel the need to tag the football club in to the messages? And then why on God's earth would a "fan" feel the need to post the club's initial letter on to Twitter?

I suspect the ban is not because he is anti-monarchy. But because he is an ar5e...
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Preston North End have issued a lifetime stadium ban to a supporter for a derogatory tweet about the royal family.

A source with knowledge of the situation told the Guardian that the tweet, since deleted, said that the optimal way for the week to end would be for the royal family to all die on their way to the Queen’s funeral.

In a separate tweet the fan asked whether he would be ejected from the stadium for booing during a minute’s silence, and joked that he would make a Nazi salute in Queen Elizabeth II’s honour. The club were tagged in all the messages.

In a statement, Preston said they respected every individual’s right to free speech and personal opinions. But they added: “In this specific case a series of tweets were put into the public domain and by association linked to this football club. One specific tweet, which has since been deleted, crossed the boundary of acceptability and by associating us as a club a stadium ban was issued.

“As with all decisions, if the individual were to make representations as to why our decision was inappropriate to their actions we will always listen.”

Preston had initially phoned and written to the supporter last Friday after seeing the tweet but the story only emerged on Tuesday when he posted the letter on Twitter.

The letter told him: “As a result of your comments Preston North End do not want to be associated with you, therefore you are receiving a life ban. Your season ticket and club account have been blocked from use. The Police have been advised accordingly.

“This ban also relates to you entering all Preston North End FC property including the shop, ticket office and from purchasing or obtaining any away match tickets from this club. Should you enter club property during this ban you will be ejected and other actions may well follow, such as court injunctions or involvement of the police. All football clubs where Preston have an away fixture will also be informed of the ban.”

On Tuesday evening one Preston supporter said he had received the ban. “So because my views don’t line up with theirs I deserve a ban?” he wrote. “That seems a bit strange to me. What about if I don’t vote the same as them in the next election? Is that ban worthy? I don’t like the royal family, that’s not worthy of a ban.”

His timing is shocking.
    There was no need to make the comments.
    Not sure where free speech comes into this.
    Not sure if the club could enforce the ban if it went to court.
    Not sure if they can enforce the ban for away games.
    Although he probably deserves all of it, for being that stupid.
    If he hadnt mentioned the club none of it would have happened.
    He would have just fallen into the category of another social media moron.