You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

One for the golfers. I definitely did not mean to hit it. No, honest.

Comments

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    I don't play golf, but if I did I would be using this ruling for at least 50% of my putts!
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    Was that in a pro-am with Alec Baldwin?
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,601
    He’s obviously playing the Donald Trump rules of golf.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    I'm pretty sure that's a totally wrong ruling from the referee, though it's a while since I've studied the Rules of Golf.

It will open a real 'Can of Worms' :#
  • Options
    spartathenspartathen Member Posts: 936
    MISTY4ME said:

I'm pretty sure that's a totally wrong ruling from the referee, though it's a while since I've studied the Rules of Golf.

Apparently not,he was distracted so was allowed to take it again.
    The evidence though is he was addressing the ball by placing putter head behind ball and then drew club away to putt.Nobody practices like that,he is claiming he meant to stop at point of address but was distracted and carried through.
    And the rules allow him to take shot again from original place without penalty.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176

MISTY4ME said:

The evidence though is he was addressing the ball by placing putter head behind ball and then drew club away to putt.Nobody practices like that,he is claiming he meant to stop at point of address but was distracted and carried through.
    I know Tournament Rules can be slightly different to the actual Rules of Golf ....... but it still seems wrong to me. I've seen Tiger Woods manage to stop on his downswing of a tee shot, because someone had put him off. So Pieters should have been able to move away .....He obviously wasn't focused enough on the putt.

He had addressed the ball, and definitely started the stroke :*
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,171

MISTY4ME said:

@spartathen

Exactly. Nobody does that.

It seems the Rules DO allow it to be taken again without penalty in certain circumstances, but NOT in this case IMO.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052

I don't know if this is a newish rule but maybe others know more.

@HENDRIK62 @Jac35 Any thoughts?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,261
    Reminds me of a Comp I was playing at Brocton Golf Club. The weather had been awful for about 2 weeks prior and as a result a preferred lie rule was in force due to the state of the course.

One player in our four sliced a drive into a fairway bunker, calmly walked to his ball picked it up placed it on the fairway and commenced his 2nd shot with the comment "I prefer this lie".

There was as you can imagine a certain amount of indignation and the referee was summoned. The players argument was that he didn't understand the rule and it was a genuine error on his part. It was decided that he would replay his 2nd shot from the original position in the bunker and he received a warning as to his future conduct.

"I prefer this lie" You gotta hand it to him A+ for effort.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479

Reminds me of a Comp I was playing at Brocton Golf Club. The weather had been awful for about 2 weeks prior and as a result a preferred lie rule was in force due to the state of the course.

One player in our four sliced a drive into a fairway bunker, calmly walked to his ball picked it up placed it on the fairway and commenced his 2nd shot with the comment "I prefer this lie".

There was as you can imagine a certain amount of indignation and the referee was summoned. The players argument was that he didn't understand the rule and it was a genuine error on his part. It was decided that he would replay his 2nd shot from the original position in the bunker and he received a warning as to his future conduct.

Do you play at quite a high level?
    I’ve never had a referee in a competition in 30 years of playing golf

It’s self policing
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited September 2022
    MISTY4ME said:

MISTY4ME said:

I know Tournament Rules can be slightly different to the actual Rules of Golf ....... but it still seems wrong to me. I've seen Tiger Woods manage to stop on his downswing of a tee shot, because someone had put him off. So Pieters should have been able to move away .....He obviously wasn't focused enough on the putt.

Tiger has done that a number of times
    It’s pretty amazing. I’d be out for months with a bad back if i tried it

https://youtu.be/sHFIoKtSfek
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Do you play at quite a high level?
    I’ve never had a referee in a competition in 30 years of playing golf

It’s self policing
    When I was a youth player I played many comps, at the behest of my coach, I was probably not really ready for.

I was trying to get to low single figures / scratch. The comp in question was The South Staffs Youth Open, top 4 got a place in the Midlands Youth.

This was mid - late 70's when Youth golf was brilliantly supported by companies such as Dee Beers, Norwich Union, Barclays and The Daily Mail, don't know the state of it nowadays but it was a great time to be a young golfer. Four of my regular golf companions went on to be professionals, 2 on the circuit (D. Guildford and D. Evans) and 2 as club pro's. I was never quite good enough and my game went backwards from about age 15.

• Options
    Jac35 said:

MISTY4ME said:

MISTY4ME said:

Tiger has done that a number of times
    It’s pretty amazing. I’d be out for months with a bad back if i tried it

https://youtu.be/sHFIoKtSfek
    How the heck has he not put his back out