You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Steven Gerrard

EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,279
On 1 level, always sorry to see someone lose their job. But it is hard to see how this was going to end any other way.

He was there just under a year. 2 Transfer windows. Where he spent decent money. But there is a glaring omission. He did not sign a single forward.

Forwards at Villa? There are only 4. Watkins-who looks like he has lost all confidence. Ings, who has always played well in spurts and been in and out of pretty much every team he has played for. Bailey-who looks like he is playing in the wrong country. And Archer-who may have a bright future, but is not a first-teamer yet.

Meanwhile, under Gerrard, loads of forwards sold or loaned out. Keenan Davis, Wesley, Traore, Trezeguet, El-Ghazi. Leaving just the 4 above-who, frankly, don't look better than those out on loan. All while having 2 near-identical AMs on big money who could never play in the same team in Coutinho and Buendia.

Gerrard has been unlucky with injuries. But it is hard to see where the goals are coming from.

Comments

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,242
    When Micheal Beale left he was always going to struggle, when he was at Rangers all the talk was how good Beale was at taking training.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,825
    I think the main part that’s puzzling, is that he had only been there 11months. That’s no time, two transfer windows, I think you need at least four before you can say it’s getting close to “ my team” availability of players plays into that. Having spent some money, what happens when the new manager doesn’t want the players you just bought ? I don’t watch them week in week out, so don’t know what Villa fans will say, but it just seems like madness to me that you get a guy in, spend some money, then show him the door before he’s had a year.