You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,823
    Gary Lineker slams James Cleverly for ‘compromise’ advice to LGBT football fans ahead of Qatar World Cup
    The Match Of The Day presenter Gary Lineker tweeted: ‘Whatever you do, don’t do anything Gay. Is that the message?’

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gary-lineker-james-cleverly-qatar-world-cup-homosexuality-advice-respect-compromise-b1035327.html?amp
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,007
    Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has insisted today that LGBT fans will be perfectly safe attending the World Cup in Qatar, as long as they don’t start acting all gay and stuff.

With the World Cup set to begin in less than a month, in a country where homosexuality is illegal, Foreign Secretary Cleverly has moved to assure worried fans hoping to go to the tournament that as long as they are respectful of the host nation everything will be fine; so basically don’t be gay, at all, not even a little bit.

Speaking earlier he confirmed, “Yes, if people could just refrain from being gay for a month or so that would be great.

“Or maybe just a couple of weeks, if you’re only there for the group games, that’s not difficult, right?

“Just make sure that there is no kissing in public, or holding hands, or generally anything that could be seen as even a bit gay, like listening to Kylie.

“Oh and don’t be camp for **** sake!

“It’s very simple, fans will just have to show some respect to the host nation and try to behave accordingly, in a non-gay, 100% straight way – or they could be killed, in a perfectly legal culturally appropriate way.

“Other than that, I’m sure the tournament will go very well indeed and be a great success.

“As long as you’re not gay whilst over there, I can’t stress that bit enough.”
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,823
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 503
    I was debating this with Mrs Bean yesterday.

The point is that you need to be respectful of the laws and customs in other countries, even when we completely disagree with those laws and customs. The onus is then on politicians and peaceful protest to bring forward change. Whatever your sexual orientation, you can do whatever you like behind closed doors in the Middle East. Just be mindful that they don't like PDAs.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811
    Bean81 said:

The point is that you need to be respectful of the laws and customs in other countries, even when we completely disagree with those laws and customs. The onus is then on politicians and peaceful protest to bring forward change. Whatever your sexual orientation, you can do whatever you like behind closed doors in the Middle East. Just be mindful that they don't like PDAs.

@Bean81

Exactly my view.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,465
    Simple, if you can't comply " Don't Go " or live with the consequences.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,479
    Bean81 said:

The issue is that it does oppress people and a lot of people do not have a choice. People been killed and oppressed in Iran do not have the choice of well if you don't like it go somewhere else. I am sure many of them would like to move to another country but that is not always an option.

if for whatever reason there was support for homophobic laws in this country in the future Gay individuals may not have the means or availability to just up and leave and go somewhere else.

I would say that gay people in Qatar do not just have the freedom to move to another country but that would be wrong they likely do as you get an allowance each year from the oil the government does not tax you they pay you wage over there.

That been said I do not like the principle of tolerating oppressive regimes because the people suffering under those not have the option to just up and leave if everyone could choose where they live then fair enough its up to you to choose.

Personally I think gay people should not go Qatar because I think we should all just boycott it full stop I think straight people should not go.

I do not have the finances the time or the means or the time off from work to go or the interest enough in the sport to go.

However if I did I would not go I would boycott Qatar never should have been given the world cup it is an outrage that they were.
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    Agree with @Doubleme

Why tolerate an intolerable regime?
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    Thats why we never qualified, so we wouldn't have this dilemma.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811
    HENDRIK62 said:

Thats why we never qualified, so we wouldn't have this dilemma.

@HENDRIK62

Excellent riposte.

PS - well done on winning last night's £400 BH.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
    This is not a simple question. My thoughts are this:-

1. The World should do more to persuade regimes such as this to change their Laws
    2. The World Cup should never have been awarded to Qatar. Whole host of reasons, not just this one. No history of football in the country, the fact that the voters were obviously bribed, the treatment of the construction workers, the fact that it is deeply damaging to the domestic leagues which are the financial lifeblood of football
    3. Having said all of that, it is important to obey the Laws of the land you are in. However much you may personally disagree with them. They are not banning homosexuality-they are just asking people to be discreet
    4. Anyone who feels unable to be discreet is doing so not because of lack of their personal freedoms, but to campaign on behalf of others. If that happens, then people must face the laws and consequences of that country

There are several laws in this country that I disagree with. But I don't disregard them. Because people who do so are exactly like the "Just Stop Oil" mob. Because the ones who will refuse to be discreet in Qatar are exactly the same in many respects.
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 503
    Clearly we shouldn't be supportive of such a regime and we shoukd avoid boosting their tourism industry. The WC really shouldn't have been awarded to Qatar (we all know why it was), but if you must go, be mindful of the laws and customs.

Also agree it sucks to be born gay as a Qatari. The onus is on politicians and peaceful protest to change that. If peaceful protest isn't a thing (likely), then the onus is even more on Western politicians.