You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ace and jacks's

robz7robz7 Member Posts: 35
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
is A J good cards, today it lost be 4,000 twice in a row playing them, i personally dont think there as good as they look and to be honest i dont no how to play them now, any help ?

Comments

• Options
    agboyagboy Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2010
    they r fairly good cards if u havent faced a raise and are in position! out of position and facing a raise, i tend to fold.  after all, its only ace high and u r easily dominated by ak, aq, aa, kk, qq, jj etc!
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2010
    They are purely pot -luck cards just like KJ K 10 ETC.
  • Options
    SpringsSprings Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2010
    AJ is a fine hand to be raising with, but not really one to call with.

If you call with AJ, then are you hoping your opponent has A10 /A9 or worse, which is there's been heavy action pre-flop is unlikely. Also, it's behind to any pair. If you call an all-in with AJ, you are probably - at best - 50/50, if not hopelessly dominated.

Agboy said that AJ is a nice hand to have 'in position', but to be honest, 7/4 is a nice hand, in poisition. So I wouldn't be too worried about playing AJ - in particular - in poisition, but be looking to play ANY hand in position.

Also, AJ is probably more of a "tournament hand" as I call it, than a cash game hand. AJ is an easy hand to be pushing with late in a tournament, but in a cash game, it's a bit like pocket 8s, nice to start off with, but often turns to mush post-flop.

Flop play with AJ is very difficult, too: if an ace comes, and you bet out and get re-raised, what's the decision?
    If there's been action pre-flop, and it comes jack high, are you already behind to QQ/KK/AA? Finally, it's only pulling to one-end of the straight, rather than a 8/9 say, which goes both directions.

Overall, I think it's a great pushing / raising hand, but not one to be calling many (if any) chips off with.

I hope this helps your game, robz7, and good luck to you.
  • Options
    robz7robz7 Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2010
    why wat a response thanks alot it does help, good luck too you too
    In Response to Re: ace and jacks's:
    AJ is a fine hand to be raising with, but not really one to call with. If you call with AJ, then are you hoping your opponent has A10 /A9 or worse, which is there's been heavy action pre-flop is unlikely. Also, it's behind to any pair. If you call an all-in with AJ, you are probably - at best - 50/50, if not hopelessly dominated. Agboy said that AJ is a nice hand to have 'in position', but to be honest, 7/4 is a nice hand, in poisition. So I wouldn't be too worried about playing AJ - in particular - in poisition, but be looking to play ANY hand in position. Also, AJ is probably more of a "tournament hand" as I call it, than a cash game hand. AJ is an easy hand to be pushing with late in a tournament, but in a cash game, it's a bit like pocket 8s, nice to start off with, but often turns to mush post-flop. Flop play with AJ is very difficult, too: if an ace comes, and you bet out and get re-raised, what's the decision? If there's been action pre-flop, and it comes jack high, are you already behind to QQ/KK/AA? Finally, it's only pulling to one-end of the straight, rather than a 8/9 say, which goes both directions. Overall, I think it's a great pushing / raising hand, but not one to be calling many (if any) chips off with. I hope this helps your game, robz7, and good luck to you.
    Posted by Springs
  • Options
    LMLLML Member Posts: 1,708
    edited April 2010
    I'M SAYING NOTHING!!!
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ace and jacks's:
    I'M SAYING NOTHING!!!
    Posted by LML
    LOLOL this thread was made for you!

Ok, as your saying nothing, the LML strategy for AJ is as follows....

Only play AJ after a raise a reraise a rereraise and a rererereaise. At this spot your AJ is bound to be good so no point overplaying it, just call. Then when the rerererererererererereraises come in..... its a no brainer CALL!

The J J J flop always comes down. (in lmls head at least)

AJ IS THE NUTZ, end of:)
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited April 2010
    Well said Greg, perfect explanation.