You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Britain braces for rolling power cuts:

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
Arctic blast leaves households on the brink of outages and blackouts as officials blame 'WFH' Met Office for failing to predict the severity of our latest big freeze

Britain is facing the prospect of rolling power cuts, with the Met Office being blamed for not giving enough warning of the severe cold snap that has strained energy supplies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11549923/Arctic-blast-leaves-Britain-bracing-power-cuts-officials-blame-WFH-Met-Office.html

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
    How would three-hour power cuts work if enacted in Great Britain?
    Rota disconnection strategy is aimed at equally sharing out available power via planned local shutdowns

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/06/how-would-three-hour-power-cuts-work-great-britain
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    I've recently had experience of this. And it was a shambles.

In October, supposed to have a 5 hour power cut (10:00-15:00), as electric supply needed modifying for new houses. I watched about 60 men come to do the work. Unfortunately, the lorry carrying the equipment didn't turn up. And no work done-didn't tell the affected residents until 14:00, and lied about the cause.

Rescheduled for November. Still 10:00-15:00. At 10:00 some prize wally fractured the gas main, so no electrical work done-again. And-surprise, surprise, the written explanation lied again.

So-rescheduled yet again for today. Informed in writing that power would be cut 10:00-14:00. The good news? Work done. Although they turned up at 10:30, and the power was off from 11:00-15:00.

Hopeless.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,109
    Essexphil said:

I've recently had experience of this. And it was a shambles.

In October, supposed to have a 5 hour power cut (10:00-15:00), as electric supply needed modifying for new houses. I watched about 60 men come to do the work. Unfortunately, the lorry carrying the equipment didn't turn up. And no work done-didn't tell the affected residents until 14:00, and lied about the cause.

Rescheduled for November. Still 10:00-15:00. At 10:00 some prize wally fractured the gas main, so no electrical work done-again. And-surprise, surprise, the written explanation lied again.

So-rescheduled yet again for today. Informed in writing that power would be cut 10:00-14:00. The good news? Work done. Although they turned up at 10:30, and the power was off from 11:00-15:00.

Hopeless.

Utility companies are a law unto themselves only surpassed by local councils.