You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

London before the Swinging Sixties:

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
Newly-colourised images shows capital's bustling streets in a bygone era as workers shift hay in front of Big Ben and streets are decorated for George V's silver jubilee

These newly colourised images by a London plasterer show the bustle of London's iconic streets during the dramatic history of the last century. Seventy-seven years since the end of the war which shaped Britain, one image shows how society bounced back with comedian and filmmaker Charlie Chaplin and his wife Oona. They were pictured standing on top of the Savoy hotel during the 1950's while he was on a six-month visit at the time. Another image shows pre-WW2 Ludgate Circus decorated for the silver jubilee of King George V in 1935.

Charlie Chaplin and wife Oona dressed in black on the roof of the Savoy hotel during the 1950's while he was on a six-month visit at the time featuring Big Ben and London's parliament buildings in the background

A very busy London street starring St Paul's Cathedral, a Grade I listed building on Ludgate Hill at the highest point of the City of London, as local people prepare at Ludgate Circus in 1935 for the silver jubilee of King George V

Workmen repairing the street while the public gaze on a traditional open-top bus driving by what we know as the Gielgud Theatre, which was designed by W. G. R. Sprague and opened on 27 December 1906 as the Hicks Theatre, named after Seymour Hicks, on Shaftesbury Avenue in Westminster in 1920

A pavement artist showing off his work on the embankment in the 1890s in London next to a man wearing a flat cap and a ripped blazer and two little boys in similar outfits. The photograph features one of London's historical sturgeon lamps displaying the face of Neptune on one of an original 19th century lamp located on the Thames

A lone taxi in the night outside a London theatre showcasing the drama 'Wanted for Murder' starring Irishman Austin Trevor and Alfred Duchton

A quiet sunny day in London outside Trafalgar Square starring their iconic bronze lion statues, which were unveiled on January, 31, 1867. The photograph also features an old fashioned truck and many cars in the background

A group of men unloading esparto grass, which was used for making bank notes and textiles, from barges on the banks of the River Thames in London in 1938

Looking toward Tower Bridge shortly after it was built under old John Rennie London Bridge between 1886 and 1894

A view of people riding carts pulled by horses on Shaftesbury Avenue, Piccadilly Circus, City of Westminster, London, early 20th century

Families walking across a busy street while traditional cars make their way across the city on a sunny day outside King's Cross station in London

A Wolfgang Suschitzky photograph of people walking and driving to the shops near Monument Station, London in 1938 which was later printed in 1998

A workman in 1913 with no safety equipment on one of the gantry ways high above Tower Bridge with fellow colleagues working alongside featuring the Tower of London in the background

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11579519/Newly-colourised-images-taken-history-loving-plasterer-reveal-bygone-era-London.html

Comments

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    these are great
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    HENDRIK62 said:

these are great

@HENDRIK62

+1, terrific photos, especially the last one of the workers on Tower Bridge. H & S experts will faint when they see that one.
  • Options
    These images were colourised by plasterer and locksmith Paul Doherty, 42, from Stratford, London.

Paul said: 'I love history. I always have, I like the idea of seeing what the photographer at the time of taking the photo would've seen through his own lens.'
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    HAYSIE said:

These images were colourised by plasterer and locksmith Paul Doherty, 42, from Stratford, London.

Paul said: 'I love history. I always have, I like the idea of seeing what the photographer at the time of taking the photo would've seen through his own lens.'

It was only after I looked at them then went back and read they had been colourised I realised they were originally Black and White, they have been done so well.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

It was only after I looked at them then went back and read they had been colourised I realised they were originally Black and White, they have been done so well.
    Brilliant.