You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sol Campbell

lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,086
A great player but this seems a bit desperate to me.

https://www.givemesport.com/88100522-sol-campbell-rants-after-not-being-named-in-the-new-year-honours-list?fbclid=IwAR3QzVvpVf9qHcT2NJYyK4qNdGBkf7HPSwtGap--M1RH-YA-EFmYmZbRl1I

Sol Campbell rants after not being named in the New Year Honours list.

Sol Campbell enjoyed a highly successful football career.

The English centre-back turned out for the likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Portsmouth and Newcastle during his time as a professional footballer.

He won eight trophies at club level, including two Premier League titles with Arsenal, while he represented his country on 73 occasions.

Campbell hung up his boots in 2011 and has had two short managerial spells at Macclesfield and Southend.

There were a number of footballers that were honoured, including England’s Euro 2022 winners Leah Williamson, Beth Mead, Ellen White and Lucy Bronze.

Campbell, now 48, was clearly disappointed that he was not included.

He was so disappointed that he took to Twitter to list nine reasons why he deserves to be honoured.

“I’ve seen a lot of people get MBE OBE Sir’s for services to sport I will put my name down reasons why!” he started.

“First is the 56 games without losing is a record.

2. Invincible Arsenal team 49 games without losing a record.

3. First black player to score in World Cup Finals for England!

4. First black captain to lift a cup at Wembley.

5. First black English speaking player to score in a Champions League final.

6. I played two decades and over 500 games in the Premiership.

7. Stood up for racism in football here and abroad!

8. Only English player to play in six consecutive tournaments for England.

9. Got into the World Cup best team 1998 and 2002 and one European team 2004 so at one stage I was pound for pound the best defender in the world. How many English men can say that?”

Campbell will be hoping that his rant will be enough to see him included in next year’s New Year Honours list.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
    He was indeed a very good footballer.

But it was always primarily about him. He was so popular at Spurs, that when he said he was going to run down his contract and sign on a free for Man Utd, we said good luck to you. Lots of us said-as long as it's not Arsenal, that's fine. And he promised. And he lied. I'm not saying people can't do that-but those sorts of people tend not to get Honours.

Compare/contrast with Pat Jennings. Who told the truth. And got applauded every time he came to the Lane.
  • Options
    I agree it's always about him but despite being a great player he was also a terrible manager and when things got tough he hinted that others got higher profile jobs for obvious reasons while he had to start at lower clubs. How true that is I don't know but he always seems to be on the racial verge/edge without actually saying it.
  • Options
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,647
    Gordon Banks got an OBE when he should have been knighted
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 525
    Agree with everything said here. Fantastic player for my team (Pompey), but plenty of stories about him being arrogant. He used to have a long massage every day at the club and force anybody else to leave on the basis of "when you have as many England caps as I do, you can go first".

That kind of attitude gets talked about and will be the main reason he didn't get top jobs, despite thinking it was his race. John Barnes also used to complain about not getting top jobs, despite having no success anywhere. That's not to say there isn't a bias in owners selecting managers, but they need to look at themselves first.