You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Leading American university removes the word 'field' because it is 'racist'

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,385

The word "field" has been declared to have racist connotations and will no longer be used in a department at a leading American university.

It will be removed from the curriculum and academic references such as "field of study" will instead be replaced by the word "practicum".

In a letter explaining the decision, the University of Southern California’s school of social work said: "This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that would be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favour of inclusive language.

“Language can be powerful, and phrases such as ‘going into the field’ or ‘field work’ maybe have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/university-southern-california-department-removes-032152585.html

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,598
    Good luck to the farmers growing wheat and corn in their practicums then.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,970
    tai-gar said:

Good luck to the farmers growing wheat and corn in their practicums then.

@tai-gar

And to cricketers in the side that are practicuming too.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    I will tell my other half that she has to go and get the horses in from the practicum, she'll probably have me sectioned.

Imagine army training now, 'Right you lot, take up firing positions and make sure you have interlocking practicums of fire!', 'erm, yes staff'.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,232
    Should make the following songs a little more difficult to karaoke.

The Practciums of Athenry

The Practicums of Gold

Out in the Practicums

Practicums of Fire

Not to mention the Oscar winning film from the Pulitzer winning book,

The Killing Practicums.

The worlds gone mad.
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 907
    Why did the scarecrow get promoted?

He was outstanding in his practicum.