You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What now for Mendy?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,969
edited January 2023 in The Rail

"Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been found not guilty of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Jurors could not reach verdicts on one count of rape and one of attempted rape, following a six-month trial at Chester Crown Court."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63677581

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,969
    edited January 2023
    So what now for Mendy, who spent much of the time awaiting Trial in prison?

As of right now, he's completely innocent.

Now he has to wait 6 months for a re-trial on the two cases in which the Jury could not reach a decision.

This is really uncomfortable spot, it seems to me. The Media & especially Social-Media have of course had their fun with widespread assumptions of guilt. But he's not guilty of most of the charges & may well be not guilty of the rest.

He was, of course, putting it about, as many healthy young men - especially those with plenty of money - are apt to do. But that's not illegal, far from it.

I'm really not sure what to think. Whatever happens, his career & his reputation is in tatters. Is that fair, right & proper?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,074
    Tikay10 said:

Now he has to wait 6 months for a re-trial on the two cases in which the Jury could not reach a decision.

This is really uncomfortable spot, it seems to me. The Media & especially Social-Media have of course had their fun with widespread assumptions of guilt. But he's not guilty of most of the charges & may well be not guilty of the rest.

He was, of course, putting it about, as many healthy young men - especially those with plenty of money - are apt to do. But that's not illegal, far from it.

I'm really not sure what to think. Whatever happens, his career & his reputation is in tatters. Is that fair, right & proper?

I'm sure that I am from a different generation, with different attitudes. But, without wishing to sound like a dinosaur:-

No means no. That starts with "no, I don't want a drink, thanks", then goes to "no, I don't want to go back to your place in the middle of nowhere with no way of getting away if I change my mind".

Mendy? We have different moral standards applicable to young footballers than we do for young people born into money. And he will go and play in a country where the Press won't hound him. And earn about 1/4 of what he used to earn.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,383
    edited January 2023
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

I'm sure that I am from a different generation, with different attitudes. But, without wishing to sound like a dinosaur:-

No means no. That starts with "no, I don't want a drink, thanks", then goes to "no, I don't want to go back to your place in the middle of nowhere with no way of getting away if I change my mind".

Mendy? We have different moral standards applicable to young footballers than we do for young people born into money. And he will go and play in a country where the Press won't hound him. And earn about 1/4 of what he used to earn.
    Do you think his future depends on the result of the retrial, or is his goose already cooked in terms of any PL future?