You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

oh er tikay, thats sooo hard!!!

pod1pod1 Member Posts: 4,377
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
after listening to tikay on thurs night talking about the amount of people limping into hands, and looking at my own game at the moment, i decided to try a little experiment. just enter an 80 grd mtt and to see  nif i can go through the whole tourny without flat calling. finding it hard round the button and sb area but so far so good. just made break, so maybe he does know what he is talking about!!!

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited April 2010

Surely its easier on the button and sb?

........Is it just limping to pots u can't do? or can u not call at any stage throughout the hand?

Gr8 idea tho - proper/useful experiment !!!!!

Just be like playing a normal tourny for alot of people tho. lol
  • Options
    Root_KunalRoot_Kunal Member Posts: 714
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: oh er tikay, thats sooo hard!!!:
    Surely its easier on the button and sb? ........Is it just limping to pots u can't do? or can u not call at any stage throughout the hand? Gr8 idea tho - proper/useful experiment !!!!! Just be like playing a normal tourny for alot of people tho. lol
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    DOHHHH, how did u do lastnite.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    couldnt call at any stage, allowed myself to check bb. sb was tricky with things like sooted connecters , rag aces. which i would normally limp in in those postions. found the whole experiment tightened up my range and got alot more respect on the table. cashed in the end outta 64 people so was quite an eye opener. as you know i aint new to the game dohhhh, played 600+ mtts on this site alone. just thought my game was gettin a bit stale, and just wanted to change things up a bit
  • Options
    edited April 2010

So if you flop quad aces, and someone bets into you, you cant just call? lol

It is gonna be hard not being able to call re raises pre, and down the streets.....

Nice one for takin it on anyway, wd on the cash, DOHH
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i think i counted 22 times i woulda flat called in the tourny and had to find an alternative route to get paid. flopped nuts flush once and stuck a massive over bet in, which worked. it was a tricky experiment, but like you say dohhh alot of players play a high% of there game like that anyway.
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited April 2010
    great experiment i was thinking of doing something similar the other day, might give it a go soon might give me a few gd ideas to change a few things, i like the massive overbet ive been caught out by overbets to many times so maybe i should give them a go lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ok, tried said experiment again last night. this time even harder( 2 bottles of red wine)  and blow me it worked again came 2nd for 40 quid. reckon i might be on to somethin here. tikay you are a legend!!!
  • Options
    agboyagboy Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2010
    i did it in a dym last night to, and cashed without any problems, maybe tikays on to something! lol
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    gettin silly now. 3 mtts and 3 cashes. cheque in the post tikay
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471
    edited April 2010

Lol, thank you Mr Pod.

Occassionally (not often enough) I do this in Live Tourneys, & it's a terrific way to discipline ourselves.

You may be interested in this Post (below) by BrownnDog, who was commenting on a thread about limping into Pots. It's a brilliant summary, perhaps the most inclusive I've ever seen, as to why limping is bad.

"......'limping in' in ANY position in a 6-max game is an absolutely horrible play. If you are going to enter a pot you want to take control of it straight away, and control the action on each subsequent betting round. 

Reasons why we raise:

1. Manipulate the size of the pot
    2. For deception
    3. For information
    4. For value
    5. To bluff
    6. For 'advanced' forms of pot control
    7. To gain a free card on a later round
    8. To gain position 
    9. To balance our raising ranges.
    10. For isolation

How does limping in achieve any of the above? If you are limping in with a certain range from a certain position and then open folding to anything more than a 'small raise' then you are simply playing in an exploitable fashion and any good player will pick up on this and punish you for it......"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    limp limp limp limp ,it has become part of the game unfortunately ,these players ,they dont want to raise pre flop in case they get re raised back,then it gets too expensive for them ,,,,so what they do is they limp into a pot ,and then they happily call raises regaurdless of the size ''''''was on a tourny table this morning ,the chip leader with 12000 stack ,was sat at my table ,not once did he raise pre ,flop ,or turn  just kept limping and calling ,took me out in the end ,my kq busted by k8 ,flop king high and he rivers an 8 for 2 pair ..............4x raise from me pre flop ,pot bet flop ,allin turn  ,,,,and he still called ...........i mean this is not poker this is BINGO ,its just a terrible play ,and somebody somewhere needs to find a solution to playing this kind of player,if u do please let me know..........and goodluck with that ^_^
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    Run better?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471
    edited April 2010
    limp limp limp limp ,it has become part of the game unfortunately ,these players ,they dont want to raise pre flop in case they get re raised back,then it gets too expensive for them ,,,,so what they do is they limp into a pot ,and then they happily call raises regaurdless of the size ''''''was on a tourny table this morning ,the chip leader with 12000 stack ,was sat at my table ,not once did he raise pre ,flop ,or turn  just kept limping and calling ,took me out in the end ,my kq busted by k8 ,flop king high and he rivers an 8 for 2 pair ..............4x raise from me pre flop ,pot bet flop ,allin turn  ,,,,and he still called ...........i mean this is not poker this is BINGO ,its just a terrible play ,and somebody somewhere needs to find a solution to playing this kind of player,if u do please let me know..........and goodluck with that ^_^
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    Well that's down to the skill of the player. Chelsdea's Manager Carlo Whatsit needed to find a way to penetrate the miserly Man United defence at Old Trafford, so he gave it some lateral thought, & ended up dropping his leading Scorer - Mr Drogba - to the bench for the start of the match, & Chelsea won the match, against expectations.

And that's the skill of poker - finding a way to beat these players who don't conform to the norm.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited April 2010
    Hi Pod

Glad to see your doing well, we have spoken a few times about tactics over PM's etc.... I agree you should raise everytime you enter a pot as it puts you in control, its something im working on, I have no problem opening pots but when there is a raise infront I give it too much respect and it is amazing the amount of pots you take by 3 betting.

1 thing I would say though is flat calling can be good in some spots. Like Dohhh said earlier, if you flop a monster which is extemely unlikey to get outdrawn (quads, flopped FH or flopped nut flush) then you do need to flat call and extract as much $ as possible. They may be testing the waters, if you re-raise they will run, if you dwell up and flat call it will induce another bet on the turn.