You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Tottenham sack Antonio Conte with surprise late-night announcement Spurs dismiss Italian coach

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,163
Tottenham sack Antonio Conte with surprise late-night announcement
Spurs dismiss Italian coach after position became untenable

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-sack-antonio-conte-confirmed-b1068336.html

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,018
    edited March 2023
    Just 1 thought in relation to possible next Manager.

Pochettino & Enrique have been out of work for some considerable time. Yet both say would only be willing to take over in the Summer.

I can see why that might benefit them-Spurs could realistically finish anywhere between 3rd & 8th. But it is certainly not best for Spurs. They could be immersing themselves in the club, trying to achieve top 4 and assessing the squad for the Summer overhaul.

But if they do not feel they are not right for the club now, then my feeling is they are not the right men going forward.

Football Managers by and large think what is best for themselves first, second and third.

I always find it strange that "fans" want to blame Levy for "only" spending £150 million in the last window.

"Bottleham Flopspur" gave me a good laugh, mind ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

@Essexphil

I thought it very odd that Conte went, but the rest of his crew, who always move with him as an entire unit, (8 or 10 of them I believe) stayed behind.

Why might that be?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

I thought it very odd that Conte went, but the rest of his crew, who always move with him as an entire unit, (8 or 10 of them I believe) stayed behind.

Why might that be?

Because Conte was willing to go now provided Stellini was given the chance to step up. In addition, his staff will (Mason aside) only be readily employable once Conte gets his next (and quite possibly last) 2 year gig.

Which will clearly be in Italy.

From Spurs point of view, would be a problem replacing a whole set of staff, given that any new Manager would want to bring his own staff in-who wants to work for 4 months? Which means Levy believes there will be no new permanent Manager in until the Summer
  • Options
    On the subject of Managers living on another planet.

When Thomas Tuchel was Manager at PSG, he criticised the club for claiming that they could not afford to sign 2 new full backs.

On the very day they spent 180 million Euros signing Mbappe.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @Essexphil

Ahh yes, that all makes sense.

And of course if Conte had an immediate job lined up, they'd all have gone with him.

PS - Keep your hands off Arteta. Anyway, if he moves, he'll not want to move to a smaller club.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Ahh yes, that all makes sense.

And of course if Conte had an immediate job lined up, they'd all have gone with him.

PS - Keep your hands off Arteta. Anyway, if he moves, he'll not want to move to a smaller club.

I think the exception might be Stellini. Think he wants to make his own way in the World. He seems a decent man, and is clearly Conte's friend. But he has been with Conte for 8 years-ever since Stellini's 30 month ban for match fixing.

Arteta? He is having an exceptional season. But I don't think he is an exceptional Manager. Think he has been as lucky this season as he was unlucky last. Time will tell.
  • Options

@Essexphil

Agree as to Stellini. I've been very impressed with him in his interviews & pressers during Conte's absence. If Spurs finish the season strongly, they may have the answer right there.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Agree as to Stellini. I've been very impressed with him in his interviews & pressers during Conte's absence. If Spurs finish the season strongly, they may have the answer right there.

Agreed. He has always been Peter Taylor to Conte's Brian Clough.

Ryan Mason is also a Future Manager (but not yet)
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041
  • Options
  • Options
    Antonio Conte shatters the dream that it’s possible to call everyone you work with ‘totally ****’ and still keep your job.

As workers return to the office on Monday morning, despondent wage slaves have been left bereft after Antonio Conte shattered the dream that it was possible to call everyone you work with ‘totally ****’ and still keep your job.

The former Spurs manager left his role by mutual consent after describing the staff there as perennial losers who are incapable of winning anything, an accusation that left the club’s hierarchy of perennial losers who never win anything a bit miffed.

However, the real victims are those workers who watched Conte’s outburst, and felt inspired by his commitment to brutally unfettered honesty in the workplace.

One such worker, accountant Simon Williams, told us, “I watched his press conference with open-mouthed admiration. We’ve all imagined going into the office and telling everyone we work with just how useless they really are, that each and everyone one of them is a loser to their core, that they are all selfish ****, and then just going to our desk and getting on with our day, free from any repercussions.

“And for seven beautiful days, Antonio Conte made it seems like that dream was a reality. But no more.

“His departure from Spurs is the single biggest career blow I’ve suffered since the company put a limit on how much free booze was included at the Christmas party.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    lucy4 said:

Interesting set of odds.

Nagelsman/Poch? Probably deserve to be favourites, but think those odds are too short. Nagelsman may want a rest or still be trying to get money out of Bayern. If Poch was coming, why not now? Same for Enrique.

Think the value is on either Stellini/Mason, or someone to groom Mason for the top job, like Benitez. Some of those names are non-starters, purely because of the disaster that was Espirito Santo.

The name I hadn't considered that interested me? Carrick
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Essexphil said:

lucy4 said:

Interesting set of odds.

Nagelsman/Poch? Probably deserve to be favourites, but think those odds are too short. Nagelsman may want a rest or still be trying to get money out of Bayern. If Poch was coming, why not now? Same for Enrique.

Think the value is on either Stellini/Mason, or someone to groom Mason for the top job, like Benitez. Some of those names are non-starters, purely because of the disaster that was Espirito Santo.

The name I hadn't considered that interested me? Carrick
    The Problem is that Carrick is a winner with a winners mentality and attitude and therefore apparently the complete antithesis of what Levy requires.

Spurs currently remind me of Stoke, people at the top willing to back managers financially, but never seeming to have a manager that can turn the signings into a coherent team. Win very little, were famous once and have a passionate support that deserve better. Oh yes Spurs also concede first a lot.
  • Options
    My brother is Spurs (I'm enjoying winding him up at the moment) he wants Poch back but he also wanted him gone the last time! I think most of those wanting him to return have got their rose tinted glasses on. I give Poch his due he did have them playing the best I've seen in recent years and he certainly overturned the North London pecking order. However there must've been a valid reason for his departure,so what's changed ? I think they should go down the experienced manager with a protégé route, maybe Enrique/Mason like City did with Pep/Arteta but with Mason taking over after he's learnt his trade from Enrique. As for the likes of Carrick/Kompany surely clubs have seen what's happened to the likes of Gerrard/Lampard being given the big jobs too early in their managerial career. An outsider could Sporting's manager Ruben Amorim he's getting rave reviews in Portugal,he beat Spurs in C/L and knocked Arsenal out of E/L and plays decent football.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

My brother is Spurs (I'm enjoying winding him up at the moment) he wants Poch back but he also wanted him gone the last time! I think most of those wanting him to return have got their rose tinted glasses on. I give Poch his due he did have them playing the best I've seen in recent years and he certainly overturned the North London pecking order. However there must've been a valid reason for his departure,so what's changed ? I think they should go down the experienced manager with a protégé route, maybe Enrique/Mason like City did with Pep/Arteta but with Mason taking over after he's learnt his trade from Enrique. As for the likes of Carrick/Kompany surely clubs have seen what's happened to the likes of Gerrard/Lampard being given the big jobs too early in their managerial career. An outsider could Sporting's manager Ruben Amorim he's getting rave reviews in Portugal,he beat Spurs in C/L and knocked Arsenal out of E/L and plays decent football.

Spurs fans sometimes have unrealistic expectations. For example, I am genuinely struggling to understand why we would remind anyone of Stoke ;)

Spurs have generally had the 5th or 6th largest budget over the last 10 years. And have generally finished 4th-6th. This season? We are where we should be. Easy to look at the success of Arsenal. Easy to forget where Chelsea are right now. Having seemingly wasted £1 billion making their team worse.

Poch left because he expected to get a huge budget, did not, and the team regressed. The sudden demise of Danny Rose was probably part of that. He did OK at PSG, but not as well as I thought he would. As I said earlier, my heart wants him. But my head? Not so much.

Agree about Kompany. He would either fail and leave. Or succeed and leave. Can think of plenty of experienced Managers who could mentor Mason. Benitez and Brendan Rogers, for example.

Think Carrick will be a fine Manager-contrast quiet efficiency of Boro (with little or no money spent) with the ruinous gamble of Lampard at Derby. He was the glue that kept Man U from imploding, too
  • Options
    I was referring to the lack of success that a constant stream of managers have failed to deliver despite decent backing from the B o D.

Don't think for a minute that I was comparing Spurs and Stoke with regard to style and flair etc, that would simply be a lesson in futility.

Everybody knows Stoke are miles ahead. Nuff said. :D:D
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 513
    Why did Poch go last time? I can't see Levy employing him again.

Levy has made some duff appointments over the years. He's also employed some very good managers that just didn't make sense given the club position, structure and transfer resources. They are a young squad that would benefit from a young coach or manager that let's them express themselves, rather than an authoritarian manager.

Brenda Rodgers seems long at 28/1.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones is well suited to big clubs beginning with the letter S. He wouldn't cost much, wouldn't demand huge financial backing and is the ideal man to take Spurs on an adventure.

Surely a cold, wet Monday at Vale Park, where Spurs record is I believe played 1 LOST 1, would be just the tonic for those who lack the bottle and appetite to play under decent managers.

Come on Daniel Levy, start the song "Nathans at the wheel".
  • Options

Nathan Jones is well suited to big clubs beginning with the letter S. He wouldn't cost much, wouldn't demand huge financial backing and is the ideal man to take Spurs on an adventure.

Surely a cold, wet Monday at Vale Park, where Spurs record is I believe played 1 LOST 1, would be just the tonic for those who lack the bottle and appetite to play under decent managers.

Come on Daniel Levy, start the song "Nathans at the wheel".

Stoke. 29 places below Spurs. 27 places above Port Vale.

Mind the gap :)
  • Options
    That aged well...