You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The poker God's have spoken.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,320
edited April 2023 in Poker Chat
Gotta love this. Don't mess with Karma.

An angle-shoot, a slow-roll & premature celebration. All in one hand.

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,657
    Serves him right
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    Didnt know TheWaddy played live poker.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,292
    I would imagine 99.9999% of the viewers were rooting for Sam there, gotta love it when Karma pays a visit.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    If only that happened with an online deck
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,791
    What an absolute *****

Beautiful 6 on the river <3
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    There are always 2 sides to these sorts of stories.

This happened in 2016. It was Day 4 of the Aussie Millions Main Event. She finished 3rd for about £325,000. (A$625,000)

She is a poker pro, and was sponsored by 888. He is not trying to take advantage of an amateur.

His behaviour? Scuzzy. But it only works if the other player tries to take advantage in the exact way she did.

She is undoubtedly a beautiful woman. But is her behaviour really any better than his?
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 245
    What is her angle @Essexphil?

No words for what he was doing here, so wrong on so many levels and abs no need for any part of it, if he had just called she would have shoved and he could have snapped, then it would be him we would feel sorry for
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,292
    Essexphil said:

There are always 2 sides to these sorts of stories.

This happened in 2016. It was Day 4 of the Aussie Millions Main Event. She finished 3rd for about £325,000. (A$625,000)

She is a poker pro, and was sponsored by 888. He is not trying to take advantage of an amateur.

His behaviour? Scuzzy. But it only works if the other player tries to take advantage in the exact way she did.

She is undoubtedly a beautiful woman. But is her behaviour really any better than his?

In what way? I can't see that she does anything wrong at all, not even the fist pump and 'IN YOU FACE LOSER!' that his behaviour certainly deserved, once she hit the river.

Is this the same guy that tried the same move later in the tournament, or maybe in a different tournament and the tournament director actually stopped play and warned the other player what had happened previously? That would be a really good clip for people to discuss, but I can't find it.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Not defending his actions for a second. Particularly the slow roll after she has gone all-in. No idea why he did that-could be that he is a nasty individual. Or that they just don't like one another.

There are 15 people left in. £40,000+ locked up. About £750,000 for 1st.

He pretends he is weak when he is actually strong. In an unacceptable manner.

She fools for his faux weakness. And bets 514,000 (488k effective) over his 113,000 raise. She is desperately hoping (and expecting) him to fold. She is pretending to be strong, when she actually has an ordinary hand.

His bet sizing is actually very good. If he had a weak hand, he could-just about-fold there. But a lot of people, having put in 113k from a 488k stack, are going to feel pot committed.

So-as so often in poker-1 person is strong and pretending to be weak. While the other is weak and pretending to be strong. 1 makes it look like he can be bullied off the hand. And the other tries to bully them off the hand. He has made it look like he can be taken advantage of. And she has tried to take advantage.

All depends what you mean by "wrong". Neither of them have done anything illegal. She could have ignored his shenanigans, and not shoved. He was relying on her seeking to take advantage of his supposed weakness.

Looking at stack sizes and payouts, that was about a £250,000 hand. Both tried to play it optimally. 1 actually did. And lost.

Pretty girl gets the sympathy. Lots of judgment about play v a pretty woman. Probably very similar assumptions an American Pro makes about a local who looks like a bouncer. All part of the game.

Disagree all you like. But if you are not pushing the boundaries for £250,000, you are playing the wrong game.

In his position, I am not "raising" in error. But I have certainly moved as though I am going to muck my cards, "changed my mind" and flatted.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    I think you’re the only one suggesting the ‘attractive woman’ aspect is in any way relevant (maybe it’s all over the Twitter comments but I’ve never found that the best place to look for reasoned arguments).

Angle shooting is scummy, you can call that ‘pushing the boundaries’ if you like.

Nobody’s done anything illegal, typical ex-solicitor :D

I’ve got more of a problem with the over-celebrating before the hand is over, no need to get in someone’s face like that, you just look like a bit of a moron.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    I guess an attractive person wouldn’t be jumping and strutting around in someone’s face since it would automatically render them unattractive by default
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 245
    Thing is @Essexphil you can get the same outcome without the horrible antics o:)

What I like about a lot of the old school types, none of this absolute nonsense, speech play and fun is all part of it minus the horribleness. This however is just horrible to both watch, be at the table with and have to put up with at nearly every game nowadays
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,283
    Remember something similar in the Irish Open when Donnecha ODea was brutally slowrolled and then hit the river. The commentators were going absolutely batsh** at the villian.
  • Options
    JammyFker said:

Thing is @Essexphil you can get the same outcome without the horrible antics o:)

What I like about a lot of the old school types, none of this absolute nonsense, speech play and fun is all part of it minus the horribleness. This however is just horrible to both watch, be at the table with and have to put up with at nearly every game nowadays

Completely agree. There are all sorts of ways he could have induced a shove in more pleasant/less dodgy ways. Although, to be fair, he struck me as self-obsessed, rather than trying to be horrible to her. It was all about him playing up for the cameras, and trying to show how great he was.

In addition, sometimes the cameras don't tell the whole story. The first time I played the WSOP Main, I insta-called a well-known pro to knock him out (it was no big deal-he shoved for his last 5 bigs, and I had AQ in the BB). Thing was, I called before the cameras were ready, and they made me take the cards back and play it again-much slower. And made it look like I was slow-rolling him. Which I wasn't-he had to sit there and pretend he hadn't already been knocked out.

The point I am trying to make is this. They are only 15 left in a massive MTT, and they are likely to have shared a table for a long time. With all the dynamics and reads that brings.

He had a read on her that said he could induce a bad shove from her. Don't like the way he went about it, but that was his read. For whatever reason, she did not successfully read that he was angle shooting/inducing. And walked right into his trap.

Unlike other people on this thread, I don't impose my moral code on others. I can see why his rather nasty antics, particularly after he has induced the shove, make people want him to lose. Made me chuckle, too. But, purely from a poker perspective, the better player of that hand lost.
  • Options

I'd just say it's the sort of behaviour we'd expect from Will Kassouf, & leave it at that.
  • Options

Remember something similar in the Irish Open when Donnecha ODea was brutally slowrolled and then hit the river. The commentators were going absolutely batsh** at the villian.

@TheEdge949

Here you go Mark;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7l8shorhg8
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,283
    Thanks @Tikay10.

Really thought the other players were going to kick off on him big time.
  • Options
    cpfc_2010cpfc_2010 Member Posts: 316
    JammyFker said:

What is her angle @Essexphil?

No words for what he was doing here, so wrong on so many levels and abs no need for any part of it, if he had just called she would have shoved and he could have snapped, then it would be him we would feel sorry for

You'd never slow anyone would you Shane?, I think you owe me at least 5 pints from the last time you slow rolled me.