You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Old poker

Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,478
edited April 2023 in Poker Chat
Back in the day

‘Nice catch’ - when someone made a flush/straight
‘He woke up’ - when a tight player raised

Back raise etc

Ali ‘bag o bollockks’ Ahmed used to always tell the table he was flushing and straighting when he shoved

Can you think of many others that have disappeared? Or new ones that we now hear?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,914
    edited April 2023
    Almost never heard now due to the sad demise of PLHE, another Ali Ahmed favourite.

I bet the POT
  • Options

This was popular for a while. Nobody knew why they were doing it, but Marcel Luske did it, & he was cool.

I check in the dark

To this day, at SPT's, a few still do it. And they still have no idea why they are doing it.
  • Options

In about 2004, Marcel Luske started wearing his shades upside down. He claimed it helped eliminate glare, but of course that's nonsense, & what is more he looked perfectly ridic.

Within months though, half the players were doing the same thing.

• Options

5 left in a Tourney, someone suggests business & always uses the same line.

It only takes one hand
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,773
    Do you remember the days when sky poker never had universal 5 min breaks, it was chaos trying to get for a coffee ha
  • Options

Do you remember the days when sky poker never had universal 5 min breaks, it was chaos trying to get for a coffee ha

Ha, yes, I certainly do.

Then they had them briefly on the half hour iirc, which was even worse in some ways.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    Tikay10 said:

In about 2004, Marcel Luske started wearing his shades upside down. He claimed it helped eliminate glare, but of course that's nonsense, & what is more he looked perfectly ridic.

Within months though, half the players were doing the same thing.

I always thought that the upside down sunglasses look was just confirmation that you were having/had had an exceptionally good night.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,225
    Tikay10 said:

This was popular for a while. Nobody knew why they were doing it, but Marcel Luske did it, & he was cool.

I check in the dark

To this day, at SPT's, a few still do it. And they still have no idea why they are doing it.

Ah remember years ago playin 3 card brag if you went in blind everybody else had to pay double, a lot of jiggery-pokery ( or as we called it jukery pukery ) went on.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,641
    Ah 3 card brag
    Used to play in the pub when I was very young, the older lads used to rob me blind, forgive the pun, I latched on to it one night, the dealer gave one lad 4 cards but I still won the hand
    I was feisty back then, would fall out in an empty room it's me dad in me you see and all those older lads knew the old man
    Anyway he claimed mis-deal, i said if you can't beat me with 4 cards tough sh!t and I scooped the pot only for them to aggressively argue and threatened to take me outside to which my response was a Glasgow kiss
    After all the commotion calmed and the bloke picked his teeth up I told all they had been robbing me for months and that was the last time you could have heard a pin drop...well they all knew the old man
    It was the last time i never played in that school again
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,220
    Love it Sean.

Wasn't the Black lion in Vegas by any chance was it? I saw almost the exact same thing in there.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,641
    Canal tavern Kidsgrove, looking back it was nowt to be proud of but back then it were different if you didn't look after yersen no one would
    It was like the wild west growing up on that miners estate
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 518
    I hear Hellmuth use old terminology. Fifth Street and belly buster spring to mind.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    I used to watch the WPT final tables,
    Vince Van Patten always came out with “ Show tunes going off in his head”
    Whenever someone made their hand and they were likely to get paid.