You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What is advanced pot control?

loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
Can someone please explain what 'advanced pot control' is, ive asked some friends and they either havn't got a clue or they waffle a load of dog poo. 

Comments

• Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2010
    Just asked a similar question on the 67 utg thread. I've no idea
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: What is advanced pot control?:
    Just asked a similar question on the 67 utg thread. I've no idea
    Posted by silentbob

Obviously your only a mere ordinary poker player and only use 'ordinary pot control' then bob lool.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2010
    lol - if ur dictating/have the lead in a pot, ur in control of it-  if you in position, alot of the time the callers "check to the raiser" - in which case u can dictate the size of the pot.....(check/bet) - miss out a street of betting - I presume thats the whole idea?

Out of position, its almost impossible to control the pot size - have to wait for brownndogs answer to that one....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: What is advanced pot control? : Obviously your only a mere ordinary poker player then bob lool.
    Posted by loonytoons
    If only I was THAT good loony, lol
  • Options
    freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
    edited April 2010
    lol - if ur dictating/have the lead in a pot, ur in control of it-  if you in position, alot of the time the callers "check to the raiser" - in which case u can dictate the size of the pot.....(check/bet) - miss out a street of betting - I presume thats the whole idea? Out of position, its almost impossible to control the pot size - have to wait for brownndogs answer to that one....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    OOP, you should c/r the flop this should get you a free turn card then on the river you can c/c or put in a stopper bet. i have found this will work at lower level but not at higher stakes.
  • Options
    pryce6pryce6 Member Posts: 1,058
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I presume it's check raising with a flush/straight draw to get a free card and control the pot on later streets
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited April 2010
    In Response to What is advanced pot control?:
    C an someone please explain what 'advanced pot control'is, ive asked some friends and they either havn't got a clue or they waffle a load of dog poo. 
    Posted by loonytoons
    for you m8y ,

its your missus showing you where she wants you to pee,

when your come home drunk on a Saturday night .
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited April 2010
    I thought it's what you need to show when you forgot to use the 5 minute break wisely when you're deep in a tourny.
  • Options
    5toneFace5toneFace Member Posts: 246
    edited April 2010
    Check raising for pot control????
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Check raising for pot control????
    Posted by 5toneFace
    Thats what I thought .........

Is almost imposs to disguise your hand - and control the pot, out of position.......

• Options
    5toneFace5toneFace Member Posts: 246
    edited April 2010
    lol, its possible to pot control OOP but check raising isnt the answer.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What is? Check call? 

Or bet call?

To me this is just letting the other guy dictate, not control it myself.

I need to know?
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited April 2010
    By pot control I meant controlling the size of the pot.

My post was aimed at beginners who might not know all of those points. I used the word 'advanced' because a beginner would probably at first thought think 'how on earth can RAISING keep the pot smaller'. lol  

Often by raising the flop in position we can get an opponent to check to us on the turn thus gaining a free card and keeping the pot smaller. We can also do this on 4th street to gain a cheaper showdown. It was pretty much the same as the 'gain a free card point' but you can also do it on the turn so you can check back the river.

By definition 'pot control' and 'pot size manipulation' would mean anything that makes the pot become bigger or prevents it from becoming as big as it otherwise would of. So stopper bets, weak leads, C/R, etc.... are all forms of pot control.

Also actual bet sizing is often overlooked by beginners. Bet sizing in relation to the size of the pot and the size of the stacks in order to control the size of the pot on the flop turn and river.  

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for that Brownndog, so its pot control, i just couldn't work out the advanced bit, i thought it was some new super pot control method now used the poker pro's or something.
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited April 2010
    I do apologize if I in some way offended you loonytoons. I will select my adjectives more carefully in the future just for you. 
  • Options
    KevilfishKevilfish Member Posts: 354
    edited April 2010
    An example of advanced pot control;

The flop is down, 400 in the pot, you check, you're opponent bets 300, you raise to 600, he calls.
    The pot is now 1600. The turn comes and you check, your opponent is more likely to check, giving you a free river.

If you had just called the flop, the pot would have been 1000 and when you check the turn, your opponent probably bets around 800 - 500 more than the 300 raise you had put in on the flop - this means you have controlled the pot size by raising.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks BrownnDog & Kevilfish, it all makes sense now
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I do apologize if I in some way offended you loonytoons. I will select my adjectives more carefully in the future just for you. 
    Posted by BrownnDog
    LOL, im rarely offended, however thankyou for the offer of you selecting your adjectives more carefully just for me, its much appreciated kind sir.