You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Comparing every Premier League club’s wage bill to its final league position

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547

Brentford, Brighton, Newcastle United and Arsenal are the Premier League’s biggest overachievers this season, while Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton and Leicester City are among the division’s biggest underachievers.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/comparing-every-premier-league-club-s-wage-bill-to-its-final-league-position/ar-AA19pGMB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=02291a13285647bd9b04660bebe4ad82&ei=34

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    HAYSIE said:

Brentford, Brighton, Newcastle United and Arsenal are the Premier League’s biggest overachievers this season, while Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton and Leicester City are among the division’s biggest underachievers.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/comparing-every-premier-league-club-s-wage-bill-to-its-final-league-position/ar-AA19pGMB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=02291a13285647bd9b04660bebe4ad82&ei=34

I find this sort of stuff fascinating.

This is one of the major factors for any football club. But there are others. The most important of these would be net cost of the squads, followed by things like natural income from Champions League participation, ground size etc.

I think that report correctly identifies the over-/underachievers.

The bit that fascinates me is this. How on earth are Chelsea going to satisfy FFP going forward?
  • Options
    Kinda6677Kinda6677 Member Posts: 279
    The FA aren't going to punish rich owners
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,115
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I find this sort of stuff fascinating.

This is one of the major factors for any football club. But there are others. The most important of these would be net cost of the squads, followed by things like natural income from Champions League participation, ground size etc.

I think that report correctly identifies the over-/underachievers.

The bit that fascinates me is this. How on earth are Chelsea going to satisfy FFP going forward?

The same way City have bypassed all the rules for years, dubious accounting, a team of hotshot lawyers & an inept F.A.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I thought the basic essence of sport was that it's a level playing field for everyone but that has proven to be untrue numerous times. I saw a great quote the other day regarding FFP. Man City & Chelsea are the Lance Armstrong of football but their drug of choice is money.
  • Options
    Why are you singling out Man City and Chelsea? There are plenty of other clubs with billionaire owners including Arsenal
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Kinda6677 said:

Why are you singling out Man City and Chelsea? There are plenty of other clubs with billionaire owners including Arsenal

Billionaire owners doesn't necessarily mean breaching FFP rules but in City & Chelsea's case it's pretty obvious what they're doing.

But when it involves a 'Smaller' club it's a different story.

Reading given six-point deduction for breaching EFL business plan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65175863
  • Options
    Reading and Wigan have had points deducted because they're not run sustainably, which is what FFP is there for.
  • Options
    Kinda6677 said:

Reading and Wigan have had points deducted because they're not run sustainably, which is what FFP is there for.

Chelsea accounts explained: A big loss, sponsor worry and an FFP headache.

It was a season like no other for Chelsea. The inglorious end of Roman Abramovich’s 19-year reign as owner, two months of government sanctions and the eventual £2.5billion ($3.1billion) sale to a US consortium headed up by Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital.

Those extraordinary 12 months changed everything around Stamford Bridge but, as the club’s newly published accounts for that 2021-22 campaign underline, the turbulence and change came at a price. Chelsea FC Holdings Ltd recorded a net loss of £121.3million last season, despite annual revenue climbing to £481million.

The numbers depict a club facing financial challenges given they spent more than £500million in the transfer market subsequent to the “extraordinary expenses and loss of revenue” that came with Abramovich’s downfall.

Chelsea were never strangers to losing money in the Abramovich's age of excess and, albeit with a season badly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, there have now been losses totalling £341million across the last four seasons.

Does the above (a small excerpt from the original article) show a club that are being run sustainably ?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    edited May 2023
    lucy4 said:

Kinda6677 said:

Chelsea accounts explained: A big loss, sponsor worry and an FFP headache.

It was a season like no other for Chelsea. The inglorious end of Roman Abramovich’s 19-year reign as owner, two months of government sanctions and the eventual £2.5billion ($3.1billion) sale to a US consortium headed up by Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital.

Those extraordinary 12 months changed everything around Stamford Bridge but, as the club’s newly published accounts for that 2021-22 campaign underline, the turbulence and change came at a price. Chelsea FC Holdings Ltd recorded a net loss of £121.3million last season, despite annual revenue climbing to £481million.

The numbers depict a club facing financial challenges given they spent more than £500million in the transfer market subsequent to the “extraordinary expenses and loss of revenue” that came with Abramovich’s downfall.

Chelsea were never strangers to losing money in the Abramovich's age of excess and, albeit with a season badly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, there have now been losses totalling £341million across the last four seasons.

Does the above (a small excerpt from the original article) show a club that are being run sustainably ?
    That is part of it. But there is worse.

A lot of Chelsea's recent transfers in have used a (now outlawed) accounting trick, whereby £hundreds of millions of signings have been given 7 and 8 year contracts, and the transfer fee (for accounting purposes) spread over those 7 or 8 years.

Which means the underlying loss, just for last season, is probably an extra £300+ million. Meaning each of the next 6 seasons will have an extra £50 million debt over and above other clubs before a ball is kicked or a signing made.

Meanwhile, they are still looking to spend money like FFP does not exist.

It's not the case that "billionaire owners" is in any way relevant. No club is allowed to sustain losses of this magnitude. Regardless of the wealth of the Owners.

If (and it's a big if) Chelsea make the top 4 next season, the extra income from the Champions League might get them out of this. But without it Chelsea are rather obviously going to be in massive breach of FFP Regs
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,657
    We have billionaire owners having to rely on free transfers and loans last season if we hadn't sold Harry Souttar in January we would have breached FFP and had a points deduction despite our owners willing to spend what ever they want
    I get FFP and sustainability but if clubs like ourselves want to buy from other English clubs it can only help those clubs out during difficult periods
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    stokefc said:

We have billionaire owners having to rely on free transfers and loans last season if we hadn't sold Harry Souttar in January we would have breached FFP and had a points deduction despite our owners willing to spend what ever they want
    I get FFP and sustainability but if clubs like ourselves want to buy from other English clubs it can only help those clubs out during difficult periods

Away from the subject a wee bit, Is Dujon Sterling any good ?.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

stokefc said:

Good player rab , most Stoke fans were hoping he signed but obviously when Rangers came in there were no chance
    Strengths - solid right back but not as a wing back
    weaknesses- he's not very attack minded but he is a defender afterall
  • Options
    I'm assuming that FFP doesn't exist in the Saudi Leagues :o

• Options
    lucy4 said:

I'm assuming that FFP doesn't exist in the Saudi Leagues :o

It'll be like when Pele ,Best , Marsh and a few others went to America that time
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    stokefc said:

rabdeniro said:

stokefc said:

Good player rab , most Stoke fans were hoping he signed but obviously when Rangers came in there were no chance
    Strengths - solid right back but not as a wing back
    weaknesses- he's not very attack minded but he is a defender afterall
    Cheers, he's goin to be competing with James Tavernier who although not the greatest defender was our top goalscorer.