You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Coincidence Or Something More Sinister ?

lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041
I have two completely separate debit card accounts with the same company, I needed a new PIN issued to me on one of the accounts. It arrived this morning and when I revealed the new PIN I was shocked to see that it was exactly the same PIN that I use for the other account. This raises a few questions, What are the odds on a random generated PIN being issued that is the same as the one that I'm already using on a different account ? Given that I'm (allegedly) the only person to know my PIN's, not even the banking company, this cannot be a mix up between accounts. Also given the vast amount of possible combinations of the four digits surely this cannot be passed off as just a coincidence ? I'm beginning to go down the 'sinister' route simply because the odds on being issued the exact same PIN as the other card seem way too big for my thinking.

Comments

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    Sky RNG must of issued it ;)
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,511
    They probably think your asking for it to be the same. You can change it yourself to anything you want. I have two with the same pin because I kept forgetting the other one.
  • Options
    goldon said:

They probably think your asking for it to be the same. You can change it yourself to anything you want. I have two with the same pin because I kept forgetting the other one.

They were two separate accounts with two separate PIN's. One was dormant as I hadn't used it for years and the card had expired, I went in to the branch and reactivated the account by depositing some money,the cashier also ordered a new card and PIN. The card arrived but after a week the PIN didn't. I called the bank and they said they'd send a new PIN which arrived this morning. That's when I discovered the PIN was the same as my other account, which the bank wouldn't have known any way.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    Odds are 9998/1 aren't they ? ........ incredible really :o:*
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

I was amazed to learn that it's only 9998/1 for any random 4 number to be generated so I headed to Google (as you do) and found this which although explains it, I simply can't get my head around that it's only roughly 10000/1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khgg-mJUB-0

If you start with 0000 then 0001,0002 etc.

Then 0010,0011 etc.

Then once you've finished starting with 0 you then start with 1000,1001 etc.

Surely there must be more than 10000 permutations by the time you even get to a number beginning with a 9.

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,511
    Just change it......... Muppet.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    lucy4 said:

MISTY4ME said:

I was amazed to learn that it's only 9998/1 for any random 4 number to be generated so I headed to Google (as you do) and found this which although explains it, I simply can't get my head around that it's only roughly 10000/1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khgg-mJUB-0

If you start with 0000 then 0001,0002 etc.

Then 0010,0011 etc.

Then once you've finished starting with 0 you then start with 1000,1001 etc.

Surely there must be more than 10000 permutations by the time you even get to a number beginning with a 9.

You're winding us all up, aren't you?