You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Top 4 in EPL this season?

EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,034
It's an exciting time of the year. That time just before the start of the season. The time when you dream that this will be the year that your team does well. And when you secretly fear it may all go horribly wring.

It's also the time when the BBC "experts" (sheep) give their thoughts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66434067

25 of 26 have Man City 1st. Props to the 1 actually brave enough to go for someone else-Arsenal.

Top 4? All 26 go for Man City/Arsenal. 22 Man Utd. 21 Liverpool.

Rest? Nowhere. Chelsea 3, Villa 2, Newcastle 2, everyone else 0.

Man City are deservedly favourites. But the odds look deeply unattractive-particularly after realising their CL dream last year.
Most overrated? Liverpool. Sold experience. Bought potential. Would not surprise me to see Klopp leave this season.

I believe there are 9 clubs that might make the top 4. The 7 mentioned, plus Brighton and Spurs.

My top 4?

1. Man Utd 2. Man City 3. Arsenal 4. Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,765
    edited August 2023
    spurs gonna be the team to watch imo.....Richarlison, Kane and Son up top under Ange could be quality......maddison was a good signing tae.......suppose it all hangs on the defence.

City, United, Arsenal, Spurs for me.

edit; city, united, arsenal, liverpool
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554

spurs gonna be the team to watch imo.....Richarlison, Kane and Son up top under Ange could be quality......maddison was a good signing tae.......suppose it all hangs on the defence.

Kane?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,194
    Glenelg said:

Kane?
    Must be signing Herbie Kane from Barnsley.

If Spurs finish in the top 4 I will show my 4rse in Tesco Hanley car park on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,765
    edited August 2023
    Glenelg said:

Kane?
    well there goes my theory up in smoke....back to mid table finish without his goals
  • Options

Glenelg said:

Kane?
    Must be signing Herbie Kane from Barnsley.

If Spurs finish in the top 4 I will show my 4rse in Tesco Hanley car park on a Saturday afternoon.
    What-again?
    Thought the Banning Order was still in place :)

Looking down to the little leagues, Stoke seem to have bought well, and may well have a better season
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    It’s very hard to see past City, barring an horrendous run of injuries. If De Bruyne stays fit and his relationship with Pep doesn’t deteriorate, they look odds on to add to the bulging trophy cabinet.
    Arsenal will probably finish runners up, don’t like the signature of the Chelsea flop, especially at that price. They didn’t upgrade at centre half either, the guy on the left side is a liability and got shown as such when his partner got injured late last season. The youngsters have All added vital experience and I expect them to push City hard.
    United made their best signing last year and he never kicked a ball for them. The manager worked wonders, got rid of the poisonous Renaldo and managed to create a team from what was left. Still think they’re a year and two transfer windows away from competing for the title.
    Liverpool need to stay fit, another team who need to improve at the back, this may cost them second or third. The young lad on the left and the ex Wolves man missed so much time and in turn the team suffered in their absence. Midfield, which absolutely needed an overhaul, Milner really should be using his bus pass, has improved and I could see them in any of the three places behind City.
    Newcastle had a tremendous season, not sure if they can repeat a top four finish, but they should be fun to watch and European nights will be a fitting reward for their success starved rabid fan base.
    Spurs are a difficult one to call, they probably should have sold Kane two years ago, they look to be getting top money for a guy who I think is on the downward slope of his very good career. However, Spurs have been atrocious at spending the money they have got in for their departing stars in the past, so unless this manager has it in his contract that he has last say on targets, I cannot see them finishing higher than sixth or seventh.
    Brighton could surprise everyone this season, either way, good or bad. Influential players have been sold before, making them look vulnerable, only for players to appear from their system and make supporters forget about those they have lost. Can they continue that trend? The big worry for me is the Thursday Sunday slog , jetting around far flung European cities, playing in a competition that doesn’t bring the financial benefits of the Champions League , but gives you all the other rubbish that entails. If they finish top six it will be a super achievement.
    Villa, can they possibly do as well as last season? I may be wrong but I expect a bit of a struggle to finish above eight or ninth.
    I’ve not mentioned Chelsea, just don’t know what to expect, really good manager, they’ve exploited the financial fair play to the max ( what a joke the FFP rules are) they have spent so much money on not very good players , you could see them finishing outside the top ten, but I go back to the manager, he’s very very good, he didn’t sign up without thinking that there are players he can work with. I just don’t see them scoring goals, especially if the toblerone footed Sterling is their main threat.
    Hey ho this could all look very silly in nine months time, the beautiful thing is, everyone starts with dreams intact, at least for another 24 hours
  • Options
    "Toblerone footed"

That made me chuckle.

My guesses differ from yours Nick. But you are quite right in that no-one knows what will happen. That's the beauty of football.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,643
    spurs sold kane now they be relegated.