You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How do you lift yourself from a down run

Williams12Williams12 Member Posts: 147
when things don't go your way how do you improve the situation?

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,027
    edited August 2023

when things don't go your way how do you improve the situation?

Whole variety of strategies. For example:-

1. Take a break until you feel ready
    2. Drop number of tables
    3. Drop down in stakes until confidence returns
    4. Play more qualifiers-your confidence will naturally be higher where you have already won your entry
    5. Look at exit hands that hurt-was it unlucky, or did you play the hand badly?

Hope that helps

Everyone gets downswings. Absolutely everyone
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,513
    Up Swings help the Down Swings / You know what they say if you fall off a Horse / Plenty ways to survive other than cross you fingers / Get an old coat and tin cup go down the Shopping Centre / Ask the Kids to invest some Pocket money / cut the wife's housekeeping / get paper & comb go busking.

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,513
    POKER lives MATTERS remember Poker is the Therapy for up's & down's. hic!
  • Options
    ArrogantArrogant Member Posts: 207
    1.When I was rising threw the ranks one thing that helped me was asking better player opinions on hands I wasn't sure of.
    2.Multi siting is important for me. Like this month I'd be down a lot if only played sky but have been playing ipoker and acr too with I've ran better on.
    3.After a brutal day (usually a Sunday) I'll play tennis and get a massage which cleans out the tilt from my veins.
    4.agree about dropping stakes when in a bad run but also shot take when confidence is high.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,027
    edited August 2023
    Multi-siting helps. Instead of all eggs being in 1 basket, you are likely to run well on 1 at same time as running badly on another. Also can make a small deposit and try to run it up.

ACR-is it still a mare getting money off there?
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 515
    Agree with everything above. Only thing to add is to use your break to study more - it's a lot easier to do that when losing than when you are running hot.

When does a downswing actually mean you are a losing player? It's difficult to know, but the more you work on your game, the greater your edge and a lower risk of a prolonged downswing.