You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hit and runners!

Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
Been playing cash for a couple of weeks now and I've come across 3 or 4 players who immediately run from the table when they stack me. They don't even hang around for one more hand. Is this usual and acceptable behaviour or are they the sc*m of the earth?

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited April 2010
    i personally see nothing wrong with it... why let yourself get stacked? Would you complain if you stacked them and they left?
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2010

Nah Seagull I mean I fully understand peoples point of view in a HU game.......

And the other night I actually saw a high roller, in fact 2 of them, refuse a game against a very poor player at my level, (we're talking nl400 here) - Just because they have a reputation to hit and run....

End of the day mate, its perfectly within the rules, frustrating as it is....

In a 6 handed game, I mean there is not even a moral issue there......

But HU I guess there is, coz ts a personal battle....

If I managed to eat enough snickers and find the bolla csss to play blackfish HU at nl500, stack him first hand, I wud run a mile and never come back!

Wouldnt u?

DOHH
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners!:
    i personally see nothing wrong with it... why let yourself get stacked? Would you complain if you stacked them and they left?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Letting myself get stacked is not a choice I make deliberately, as I'm sure you well know. For example I was AI last night with AA against A2ss and he hit the flush. SHould I have put my stack on the line with AA and risk getting stacked?
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Letting myself get stacked is not a choice I make deliberately, as I'm sure you well know. For example I was AI last night with AA against A2ss and he hit the flush. SHould I have put my stack on the line with AA and risk getting stacked?
    Posted by Seagull158
    Dont worry seagull mate you know blackfish3 by now hes windin ure up and talking total bolox lol as usual.No offence blackfish3 m8 but you cant always stop someone stackin yer can yer m8.gl dav
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Dont worry seagull mate you know blackfish3 by now hes windin ure up and talking total bolox lol as usual.No offence blackfish3 m8 but you cant always stop someone stackin yer can yer m8.gl dav
    Posted by dav1964
    He was being a d**khead but I didnt take offence because it comes naturally to him and he cant help it.
  • Options
    AyrGraemeAyrGraeme Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2010

Its cash tables and the rules are you can sit down or stand up when you like and with how much you like (within limits relating to the blinds).  In my opinion if you are concerned about winning pots against particular player because he has taken chips off you then you won't be playing your 'A' game.  Essentially a good poker player is likea bookie - finding situations to offer players unfavourable odds and hoping he takes them.  If you do this you will win long term.  If you get hung up on the outcome of a particular hand or particular session - which essentially is what getting annoyed about hitting and running is doing - you are not assessing variables long term which is what a good poker player does. 

The big money HU players on here are essentially the best players and I would not fancy my chances v them HU but I can't understand why they wouldn't play someone unless they have some respect for their game.  I am not a strong HU player but I presume the general theory is you are good at finding spots to get all-in ahead on a reg basis and are confident you will win a good chunk more than 50 per cent of those.  Wouldn't they have a better than 50/50 chance of winning when the stacks go in?  Would a bookie refuse to take a punter's bet even if he knew the odds were in his favour just because he knows the punter will not reinvest his winnings in more bets. 

If it annoys you then fair enough mark them as hit n runner and don't play them - that is your choice - another thing about cash - you can choose the table you play on.  Generally hit n runners realise they got lucky and take their winnings cos they are not confident they wont lose them suggesting they are not the best players in the world and on that basis I would be happy to play them.  If they stack me and leave I have no problem. 

To sum up - they have a right to sit or stand whenever they like.  If they hit n run once and you don't like it then note them and don't play them again but moaning about it on a forum I don't have much time forand words like Sc*m should probably be saved for murderers and sex offenders

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Its cash tables and the rules are you can sit down or stand up when you like and with how much you like (within limits relating to the blinds).  In my opinion if you are concerned about winning pots against particular player because he has taken chips off you then you won't be playing your 'A' game.  Essentially a good poker player is likea bookie - finding situations to offer players unfavourable odds and hoping he takes them.  If you do this you will win long term.  If you get hung up on the outcome of a particular hand or particular session - which essentially is what getting annoyed about hitting and running is doing - you are not assessing variables long term which is what a good poker player does.  The big money HU players on here are essentially the best players and I would not fancy my chances v them HU but I can't understand why they wouldn't play someone unless they have some respect for their game.  I am not a strong HU player but I presume the general theory is you are good at finding spots to get all-in ahead on a reg basis and are confident you will win a good chunk more than 50 per cent of those.  Wouldn't they have a better than 50/50 chance of winning when the stacks go in?  Would a bookie refuse to take a punter's bet even if he knew the odds were in his favour just because he knows the punter will not reinvest his winnings in more bets.  If it annoys you then fair enough mark them as hit n runner and don't play them - that is your choice - another thing about cash - you can choose the table you play on.  Generally hit n runners realise they got lucky and take their winnings cos they are not confident they wont lose them suggesting they are not the best players in the world and on that basis I would be happy to play them.  If they stack me and leave I have no problem.  To sum up - they have a right to sit or stand whenever they like.  If they hit n run once and you don't like it then note them and don't play them again but moaning about it on a forum I don't have much time forand words like Sc*m should probably be saved for murderers and sex offenders
    Posted by AyrGraeme
    You misunderstand my post. I asked a question "Is this usual and acceptable behaviour or are they the sc*m of the earth" I was looking for advice on the etiquette of the game, not passing an opinion.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Its cash tables and the rules are you can sit down or stand up when you like and with how much you like (within limits relating to the blinds).  In my opinion if you are concerned about winning pots against particular player because he has taken chips off you then you won't be playing your 'A' game.  Essentially a good poker player is likea bookie - finding situations to offer players unfavourable odds and hoping he takes them.  If you do this you will win long term.  If you get hung up on the outcome of a particular hand or particular session - which essentially is what getting annoyed about hitting and running is doing - you are not assessing variables long term which is what a good poker player does.  The big money HU players on here are essentially the best players and I would not fancy my chances v them HU but I can't understand why they wouldn't play someone unless they have some respect for their game.  I am not a strong HU player but I presume the general theory is you are good at finding spots to get all-in ahead on a reg basis and are confident you will win a good chunk more than 50 per cent of those.  Wouldn't they have a better than 50/50 chance of winning when the stacks go in?  Would a bookie refuse to take a punter's bet even if he knew the odds were in his favour just because he knows the punter will not reinvest his winnings in more bets.  If it annoys you then fair enough mark them as hit n runner and don't play them - that is your choice - another thing about cash - you can choose the table you play on.  Generally hit n runners realise they got lucky and take their winnings cos they are not confident they wont lose them suggesting they are not the best players in the world and on that basis I would be happy to play them.  If they stack me and leave I have no problem.  To sum up - they have a right to sit or stand whenever they like.  If they hit n run once and you don't like it then note them and don't play them again but moaning about it on a forum I don't have much time forand words like Sc*m should probably be saved for murderers and sex offenders
    Posted by AyrGraeme
    Jeezus only ure 13th post and u put in all of that lol i take it u were bored or skint yeah PMSL
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Jeezus only ure 13th post and u put in all of that lol i take it u were bored or skint yeah PMSL
    Posted by dav1964
    Bored and skint - and my mate have borrowed my stash o p*rn lol and it was half time in all the footie games
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : You misunderstand my post. I asked a question "Is this usual and acceptable behaviour or are they the sc*m of the earth" I was looking for advice on the etiquette of the game, not passing an opinion.
    Posted by Seagull158
    No probs mate - if ya get all the chips in every time with Aces you will win long term. 
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Bored and skint - and my mate have borrowed my stash o p*rn lol and it was half time in all the footie games
    Posted by AyrGraeme
    N1 MATE I WAS ONLY KIDDIN ANYWAY GL AT THE TABLES PAL dav
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Letting myself get stacked is not a choice I make deliberately, as I'm sure you well know. For example I was AI last night with AA against A2ss and he hit the flush. SHould I have put my stack on the line with AA and risk getting stacked?
    Posted by Seagull158
    Why do you complain? You set up a situation for your opponent in which they had a 10% chance of winning. They got lucky and left... what's wrong with that? There will always be more fish to set up similiar situations against, maybe the next 9 fish that get it in with A2s in this situation you will crush.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Dont worry seagull mate you know blackfish3 by now hes windin ure up and talking total bolox lol as usual.No offence blackfish3 m8 but you cant always stop someone stackin yer can yer m8.gl dav
    Posted by dav1964
    I was trying to make a point... but dw, just say im talking 'bolox' and dismiss it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : He was being a d**khead but I didnt take offence because it comes naturally to him and he cant help it.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Angry guy on tilt... standard.
  • Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Bored and skint - and my mate have borrowed my stash o p*rn lol and it was half time in all the footie games
    Posted by AyrGraeme
    PMSL Quality.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Why do you complain? You set up a situation for your opponent in which they had a 10% chance of winning. They got lucky and left... what's wrong with that? There will always be more fish to set up similiar situations against, maybe the next 9 fish that get it in with A2s in this situation you will crush.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Are you deliberately choosing to misunderstand my original post in order to have an argument? I was not complaining. I was asking about etiquette. I well remember the Yipeeyapee posts during TP when there was much discussion about him being a hit and runner. Therefore, I wished to clarify what the etiquette was. I was also not complaining about the guy calling me with A2, although, obviously, I was cheesed off at him getting lucky. Now that the etiquette situation has been clarified I have been able to make 3 visits to the cash tables today and have stood up each time shortly after winning.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Angry guy on tilt... standard.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Wrong again, young man. Not angry and not on tilt. Not very pleased with your unhelpful and opinionated comments but, as I said, normal behaviour from you and it doesn't concern me. However, you did make one constructive comment and that is that it is perfectly acceptable to stand and leave once you have stacked someone. Thanks for that. I have put this newfound knowledge to good use.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : Are you deliberately choosing to misunderstand my original post in order to have an argument? I was not complaining. I was asking about etiquette. I well remember the Yipeeyapee posts during TP when there was much discussion about him being a hit and runner. Therefore, I wished to clarify what the etiquette was. I was also not complaining about the guy calling me with A2, although, obviously, I was cheesed off at him getting lucky. Now that the etiquette situation has been clarified I have been able to make 3 visits to the cash tables today and have stood up each time shortly after winning.
    Posted by Seagull158
    you are obviously misunderstanding me hence why you are going crazy. Ill clarify/simplify for you... it is not bad etiquette imo... i was merely giving reasons for why it is not imo. I dont understand why you would stand after making a small win... surely if you play you feel you have an edge and if you have an edge surely you want to be as deep as possible in order to win the maximum amount of money?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hit and runners! : you are obviously misunderstanding me hence why you are going crazy. Ill clarify/simplify for you... it is not bad etiquette imo... i was merely giving reasons for why it is not imo. I dont understand why you would stand after making a small win... surely if you play you feel you have an edge and if you have an edge surely you want to be as deep as possible in order to win the maximum amount of money?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Where did I say small win? I played for an hour and won 1 BI. I took a break. I played for an hour and won 1BI. I took another break. I played for an hour and won 2 BIs and then packed it in for the night.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    soz i misread, 1 or 2 BIs is still a small win though lol. jeeeeez dno what your problem is. I give up. Bye.