You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Nigel Farage: ‘I will be Tory leader by 2026’

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
edited October 2023 in The Rail
Nigel Farage could be future Tory party leader, says George Osborne

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/nigel-farage-could-future-tory-083128876.html

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    Oh good that should just about finish them off then.

Who would vote for that terwat?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,549
    Me.....
  • Options
    Kylie Better the Twatt you Know.... hic!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,274
    tai-gar said:

@tai-gar

Nobody, except for racists & loonies. But Johnson found a way to be PM, ditto Dolly Dewdrop after him, & over the water The Donald was actually President recently.

So you never know, though to be fair, Farage has contested SEVEN elections to the House of Commons, & his current score is 0 for 7.
  • Options
    Walked away cred gone with brexit he only got one shot fake news don't hold your breath already said he's not interested. 0 for 8
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

tai-gar said:

@tai-gar

Nobody, except for racists & loonies. But Johnson found a way to be PM, ditto Dolly Dewdrop after him, & over the water The Donald was actually President recently.

So you never know, though to be fair, Farage has contested SEVEN elections to the House of Commons, & his current score is 0 for 7.
    That makes it less of a worry.
    I hope he has had his day.
    Although if you go back to the 2015 general election, UKIP was him, most people couldnt name anyone else from UKIP.
    They got nearly 4 million votes.
    Just over one third of the Tory vote.
    The Tories got 330 seats.
    UKIP got 1.
    So this was one occasion where our electoral system worked perfectly.
    If he became Tory leader and subsequently PM, I would move abroad.
    After Boris, and Trump, anything is possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,713
    i might run I mean £500 but if it comes in I get a job with £110,000 a year or whatever it is with no commitments to actually do work.

Like I could just stay home and play poker all day for extra pennies but get £110,000 plus wouldnt i get like £200 or £400 or whatever it is each day I actually attended parliament?

seems like a pretty sweet deal I mean I could go and listen to people talk **** whilst I play poker on a laptop or i could put a headphone in and watch a movie. then I could stand up and make some random point which meant to sound coherent but clearly shows I know nothing about the topic and have not been paying any attention either. And I would get a good salary and could never get fired for this. seems like I should run.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

i might run I mean £500 but if it comes in I get a job with £110,000 a year or whatever it is with no commitments to actually do work.

Like I could just stay home and play poker all day for extra pennies but get £110,000 plus wouldnt i get like £200 or £400 or whatever it is each day I actually attended parliament?

seems like a pretty sweet deal I mean I could go and listen to people talk **** whilst I play poker on a laptop or i could put a headphone in and watch a movie. then I could stand up and make some random point which meant to sound coherent but clearly shows I know nothing about the topic and have not been paying any attention either. And I would get a good salary and could never get fired for this. seems like I should run.

Well at least that bit is realistic.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 529
    He'll be PM one day. There's too many people that love him, most of which are some combination of downtrodden, thick, bigoted and living in dreamland.

We'll have four years of a sensible PM in Starmer, then the masses will get bored and demand somebody with "pashun". We'll then lurch to somebody like Farage.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Bean81 said:

He'll be PM one day. There's too many people that love him, most of which are some combination of downtrodden, thick, bigoted and living in dreamland.

We'll have four years of a sensible PM in Starmer, then the masses will get bored and demand somebody with "pashun". We'll then lurch to somebody like Farage.

I cant see it.
    He is 59 now.
    He would have to join the Tory Party.
    Then he would have to be nominated to stand.
    He has failed 7 times to get elected as an MP.
    Finding somewhere to stand as a Tory next year will be difficult, and probably more difficult to win.
    So if the Tories were to win in 2029, they would have a leader that had just won an election.
    So he/she wont be going anywhere.
    If the Tories lost in 2034 they would be looking for a new leader.
    By which time he will be forgotten about, I hope.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    I so wish that was all true.

However, he is unlikely to find it that difficult to find a winnable Tory seat.

I appreciate there aren't that many safe seats. Bit it is quite startling the number of Tory MPs already standing down at the next election. Already 49.

And promotion can be rapid-Rishi Sunak has only been an MP since 2015.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I appreciate there aren't that many safe seats. Bit it is quite startling the number of Tory MPs already standing down at the next election. Already 49.

After yesterday, I am not sure which could be considered Tory safe seats.
    Assuming the Tories lose, and Sunak gets fired.
    I dont think he could get elected, and become the next leader in 12 months.
    They would therefore elect someone else as the next leader.
    The scenario demands that the Tories win in 2029.
    They wont fire the new leader after winning a general election.
    This takes us up to 2034.

Alternatively, if Labour won again in 2029, that would completely put the mockers on it.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,603
    He will join the Labour Party - convert it to Conservative and then become the PM.

Pigs will fly - the sea's will part and The Matrix will become reality.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    edited October 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Alternatively, if Labour won again in 2029, that would completely put the mockers on it.
    Politics can be a dirty business. Let me give 1 example how the oil slick that is Farage could become leader.

1. Let's assume the Tories lose and, at some stage, ditch Sunak.
    2. A prominent supporter of Farage and the Right of the Party could organise it so he or she resigns, and Farage is parachuted in via a by-election in their place. As an example-Priti Patel. Local to his roots. Massive Majority, and likely to keep seat. Think it was coincidence she was pictured with him at the Tory Conference?
    3. The Right delay removal/selection while their "hero" gets ready
    4. He is of an age where the other pretenders to the Rabid Right throne (such as Braverman and Badenoch) could accept plum jobs (no ambitious person ever wants to be Home Sec) and be the next leader in waiting
    5. That is going to take a bit of time to organise. Which is why Farage is saying 2026
  • Options
    Red Herring on a Friday/ his opportunity went begging when he was bought off.

After Dinner speaker, jet setter, talk show contestant whipping boy for Brexit.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Politics can be a dirty business. Let me give 1 example how the oil slick that is Farage could become leader.

2. A prominent supporter of Farage and the Right of the Party could organise it so he or she resigns, and Farage is parachuted in via a by-election in their place. As an example-Priti Patel. Local to his roots. Massive Majority, and likely to keep seat. Think it was coincidence she was pictured with him at the Tory Conference?
    4. He is of an age where the other pretenders to the Rabid Right throne (such as Braverman and Badenoch) could accept plum jobs (no ambitious person ever wants to be Home Sec) and be the next leader in waiting
    5. That is going to take a bit of time to organise. Which is why Farage is saying 2026
    I wonder what the odds on that happening are.
    Sunak resigning, or getting fired after losing the election is quite plausible.
    They will then elect a new leader that isnt Farage.
    Then someone with a safe seat has to give up their livelihood.
    He gets elected, 8th time lucky.
    Then they fire the new leader, and elect Farage.
    Who then goes on to win the next general election.
    If you really thought that was going to happen, you should have a bet on it.
    I am certain you would get fantastic odds.
    I know politics is unpredictable, but I cant see it happening.
    Just to ensure it doesnt, I hope Labour win two terms.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

You might have been hanging around with the conspiracy theorists for too long.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

There you go, he is not in the betting.
    British Politics - Next Conservative leader after Rishi Sunak Betting Odds

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader-after-rishi-sunak
  • Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    one thing in common all f u k i n idiots