You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

A true Hero!

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,648
its not often we get to witness true heroics but today when coming home from work my girlfriend had been just finishing of the dinner she cooked for when I got in and most of the stuff was platted up when suddenly true horror occurred there was a single fly, buzzing around my girlfriend freaks out about flies especially round food.

However I had the executioner bat fly killer thing and I normally cant pull this off but a mid air tennis swing and bang got it and zapped.

This puts me in the category of the great heros.

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    Well done Dave, a proud moment.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,201
    edited October 2023
    A real hero.

William Kyle Carpenter is the youngest living soldier to ever receive the Medal Of Honour. He received the prestigious award for his outstanding bravery whilst on a tour of Afghanistan. Carpenter shielded his friend from a hand grenade that was thrown onto the rooftop they were based on in November 2010. Both men survived thanks to Kyle's actions.

Carpenter was 21 at the time and throwing his body onto a live grenade resulted in him losing most of his teeth, his right eye, he shattered his jaw and broke his arm in a number of places. He says that he cannot remember the blast and as there were no eyewitnesses, doctors confirmed that his injuries were the result of his decision to throw himself on top of the grenade and shield his friend.

"I'm still here and kicking, and I have all of my limbs, so you'll never hear me complain."

Or how about this lady

Rosa parks is famous for one thing, and that is refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a bus. Rosa was a African - American woman who is now known as the 'first lady of civil rights' and 'the mother of the freedom movement' for this act of defiance. It all began on December 1st 1955 when Rosa refused to listen to the bus driver who ordered her to give up her seat for a white commuter in the coloured section, as the white section was full up.

"People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in."
    Rosa was arrested for this act of defiance, all because she had a different colour of skin. She became a symbol for of resistance against racial segregation and the Montgomery Bus Boycott and although in the long run, the fight of racial equality was achieved, Rosa's personal life became like a living ****. She lost her job and received death threats for years because of her involvement in fighting for civil rights.

Maybe this guy

William Wilberforce was an English philanthropist and politician who actively fought against the abolishment of the slave trade. Britain initially became involved in the slave trade in the 16th Century and although the trade saw Britain being a superpower of the world, it came at a cost, and a moral one at that.

Slaves were used and treated worse than animals for manual labour and Wilberforce was one of the few people who saw this as being morally wrong. Wilberforce urged others to see that slavery was a national crime and it must be addressed and eradicated within society. It took him and a group of others years to show people how corrupt society had become and that these slaves were human beings too. The abolishment of slavery occurred in 1833 and Wilberforce died three days after hearing that the legislation has been passed.

Or perhaps this guy

Oskar Schindler was a German industrialist who was part of the Nazi party and is credited for saving the lives of over one thousand Jewish people. He did this by employing them in his factories in Poland where he provided the army with enamel cookware and as time went on, he then bribed members of the Nazi party with money and gifts so that they would not harm his Jewish workers. Initially his business was set up in order to make him a wealthy man and he hired Jews because they were allocated a cheaper wage because of the Nazi regime which was implemented.

This however changed when Schindler learned of the devastating goings on inside the concentration camps, and he fought to protect as many Jewish people as he could. After the war, he was in danger of being arrested as a criminal of war and he was made bankrupt after spending all of his money on bribes and on his employees. He later survived on donations from Schindlerjuden (Schindler's Jews) sent from all over the world by the jews that he saved during the war.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    Royal Stoke Stroke ward , each and everyone of them